Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Guitar advice

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Guitar advice

Post by ronk » Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:42 pm

My seven year old Granddaughter has started to learn guitar at school - We have hired an instrument at these early stages but it seems she is taking to it.

I have promised that I will buy her a decent guitar for Christmas - What on earth do I look for?
I'm hoping you guitarists will be able to steer me in the correct direction.

The guitar we've hired from the schools music service is a Yamaha CS40 (3/4 size) and I assume a good second hand instrument will be the best bet?
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Guitar advice

Post by dr_john » Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:39 am

Are you looking for acoustic or solid body electric with amplifier?

I would recommend the electric, they are easier to play as the neck is slimmer and the ‘action’ (gap between strings and neck) is lower than on an acoustic. Price wise it’s about the same, the Yamaha acoustic is around £100 and a 3/4 size stratocaster style electric guitar with a small amp would be about the same.
Sapphire Black G29 2.0 MSport with Technology pack

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Guitar advice

Post by ronk » Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:33 pm

The schools music service has started them on a Classical Acoustic so it seems I have to buy her something of that ilk

I’ve missed two on EBay in the last week.

I think second hand will be my best bet?

Bottom

Guitar advice

Post by Bottom » Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:02 pm

Yamaha make excellent acoustic guitars, one of their 3/4 size guitars (used ideally) would be great. Easy to sell on again too if she doesn't stick at it.
If you go for steel strings rather than classical then get these strings for it:
https://newtonestrings.com/shop/heritag ... cba1185463
They use some sort of witchcraft, much easier to play than regular steel strings. :D

1536Z4

Guitar advice

Post by 1536Z4 » Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:29 pm

ronk wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:42 pm I assume a good second hand instrument will be the best bet?
I know its a Xmas present and should be a surprise but take her to a proper music shop and get the assistant to go through a few guitars with you . She can then try them out for size and feel . Yes you can buy cheaper on the internet but it could end up being a waste of money if she doesnt like it or it doesnt feel right to her . We all have different size arms / hands etc and the design /shape of a guitar makes a big difference so a music shop is the best way . :)
Montego Blue E86 . MILV`s . Simpson Custom Manifold Race Exhaust . xHP transmission stage 3 . VT engine mounts . BC RA coilovers . H&R arbs . Adjustable rear camber arms . Ultra Racing front strut brace . Drexler LSD .

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Guitar advice

Post by ronk » Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:12 pm

Some very sound advice - thanks :thumbsup:

She tells me that the loaner (Yamaha) feels comfortable. I’m tempted to buy her a new one if I can’t source used,

abar121

Guitar advice

Post by abar121 » Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:52 pm

Perhaps stick with the Yamaha then. I think Fender to an equivalent.

A good setup and decent strings will probably make it easier and more enjoyable to play. If you buy from a music shop, they might be able to help with this. If you were closer, I would do it.

Great that she is learning :D
'07 Z4M Interlagos Blue. All options except extended leather.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Guitar advice

Post by TitanTim » Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:05 pm

1536Z4 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:29 pm
ronk wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:42 pm I assume a good second hand instrument will be the best bet?
I know its a Xmas present and should be a surprise but take her to a proper music shop and get the assistant to go through a few guitars with you . She can then try them out for size and feel . Yes you can buy cheaper on the internet but it could end up being a waste of money if she doesnt like it or it doesnt feel right to her . We all have different size arms / hands etc and the design /shape of a guitar makes a big difference so a music shop is the best way . :)
This is sound advice, much better to go along to a decent instrument shop to try out than buying straight off the internet. Invariably if it's a new guitar bought online it won't be set up correctly or will be set up generically which may spoil the feel and playability and be off putting if at the learning stage.

Just ensure you get the loudest amp possible :lol:

Tim.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Guitar advice

Post by ronk » Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:58 pm

I’ve ordered a Yamaha CS40 (3/4) it’s the same as the instrument we hired from the schools music service. She said it fits, so why change?

I hope she sticks with the learning!

I bought it from a music shop in York who said it comes ready to play (apart from tuning of course)

Thanks for all the advice :thumbsup:

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Guitar advice

Post by Nanu » Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:47 pm

Apologies for butting in but as the thread appears to being brought to a successful conclusion, How busy was York with the Xmas markets being on?

Thinking of going down in the next couple of weeks.
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Guitar advice

Post by ronk » Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:53 pm

I don’t know - was either drive to York or pay £4 delivery so I took the easy option and coughed up the £4 :thumbsup: