Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Overheating E86

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Homer

Overheating E86

Post by Homer » Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:48 pm

Afternoon,

On a short trip out the car started overheating yesterday. It was quickly tuned off cooled down and managed to limp it home. I've checked and topped up the coolant took at another run today to see if the problem returned and it did. I've noticed I'm not getting any heat at the blowers.

Has anyone had a similar issue? My guess is an air pocket or blockage in the cooling system? I can see water/coolant has leaked from behind where the coolant is topped up and there is a small puddle on the under tray.

Any advice?
Sapphire Black E86

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Overheating E86

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:55 pm

Not an N52 expert but I believe the most common issue with them is failure of the electric pump? Check that first
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Homer

Overheating E86

Post by Homer » Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:00 pm

Pump was replaced year and a half ago so shouldn't be the pump
Sapphire Black E86

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Overheating E86

Post by Smartbear » Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:02 pm

As above, suspect the electronic water pump - they’re usually on thin ice once above 70k miles. If it’s working you should see a flow of water at the top of the reservoir where you can check the coolant level.
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Overheating E86

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:04 pm

Homer wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:00 pm Pump was replaced year and a half ago so shouldn't be the pump
Shouldn’t be, but never discount it just because of that. I would have said expansion tank split or the seals between it and the hoses but your lack of heater sent me in the pump direction. Not sure how an airlock would suddenly occur if it’s been ok?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Overheating E86

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:00 pm

Although you've had a new water pump what you describe suggests a failed pump is the most likely problem.

Probably worth getting the fault codes read as a dead pump should show up.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

SteVR

Overheating E86

Post by SteVR » Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:07 am

What engine? If its a N52 scan for codes, water pump if failing should throw a code.
Not sure on the Z4 but with my old 130i theres a specific bleed procedure with these pumps.

Turn on the ignition (do not start), set heater to maximum and fan on the lowest setting. Press the accelerator pedal to the floor for >10 seconds. Release the accelerator pedal. You should hear the pump running as it performs the procedure, takes a couple of minutes.

Homer

Overheating E86

Post by Homer » Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:32 am

Looking like water pump and again, curent one was replaced in June 2020 and the car has only done 12,000 mile since then, it will be interesting to find out why it has failed so soon after being replaced. :headbang:
Sapphire Black E86

Joycey

Overheating E86

Post by Joycey » Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:47 am

Homer wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:32 am Looking like water pump and again, curent one was replaced in June 2020 and the car has only done 12,000 mile since then, it will be interesting to find out why it has failed so soon after being replaced. :headbang:
Worth checking to see if it was replaced with a genuine peirburg unit, others tend not to last very long.

Homer

Overheating E86

Post by Homer » Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:30 pm

The car has been picked up from Joni and his team at Glasgow Independent BMW & Mini and thankfully hasn’t needed a new water pump problem has been due to corroded wiring which was needing replaced.

Bad news is I have an oil filter gasket needing replaced and faulty ABS sensor module so they’ll be looked at in February when it is in for a service and mot, always something needing done
Sapphire Black E86