Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Shall I claim on my policy for damages? Third party hasn’t responded to the claim

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Kazim

Shall I claim on my policy for damages? Third party hasn’t responded to the claim

Post by Kazim » Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:42 am

N4LLY wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:47 pm Even if you call your insurer to 'enquire' about making a potential claim, the cost goes up for 5 years.
Learned that lesson a few years ago. No claim made, paid cash for a new headlight assembly, premium went up 20% for 5 years. The pheasant I hit was also keeping shtum. :x
That’s a joke, really? What about No claim bonus. Because right now I still have my no claim bonus,

It makes no sense why would a premium go up if you have an accident where the other person is completely at fault. That’s absurd.

I have been offered by my insurance, every time I called them, is to make a claim on my insurance and then they will pursue the third party for the expenses with ‘legal’ obligation and they will be forced to either defend their case at court or pay up.

But if I chose this, then it is a claim on my policy.

Kazim

Post by Kazim » Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:43 am

buzyg wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:12 am On the flip side you haven’t stated what car you have and the level of damage. If it’s an older Z with minor damage is it really worth making a claim?
It is 2010 with 165k mileage, the car was quote as right-off by my local garage because it has a a whole panel damaged, the car is probably worth less than 1300 and the repair might cost around that much.

Kazim

Post by Kazim » Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:45 am

biZ4rreMids wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:22 am By reporting the claim to your insurance company, you will already have increased premiums next time whether you claim or not. May as well take it further via them as the claim has already been recorded.
But I wasn’t at fault and I will still have my no claims bonus? Will this make no difference,

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:18 am

Kazim wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:43 am
buzyg wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:12 am On the flip side you haven’t stated what car you have and the level of damage. If it’s an older Z with minor damage is it really worth making a claim?
It is 2010 with 165k mileage, the car was quote as right-off by my local garage because it has a a whole panel damaged, the car is probably worth less than 1300 and the repair might cost around that much.
:o I would love to know when I wrote that.. :? :P

May be ask biZ4rreMids :poke: :wink:

Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper » Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:41 am

You still have your no claims discount but that doesn’t stop the premium going up.

obewan

Post by obewan » Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:44 am

Rockhopper wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:41 am You still have your no claims discount but that doesn’t stop the premium going up.
+1
Which is why it's a waste of money protecting it :wink:

My experience is a little different to some of the previous comments.
After a non-fault bike accident my bike insurance actually reduced - albeit for a slightly smaller cc bike (650 to 500)

I'm a named driver on my wife's and mum's car insurance. At renewal I rang and informed them of the accident. Both said no increase in premium.
The deciding factor seemed to be all costs paid for by third party and claim settled - I could be wrong.

I did the same when my Z4 renewal came around and they tried to put it up 10%.
So shopped around and got it £60 cheaper. :thumbsup:

That was 2 years ago - premiums for all the above not really altered since, give or take £5 or so

Just for info: My bike insurance was with One Call and to be fair they were excellent in sorting out the claim
E89 2.0 SDrive MSport
Honda CB500F.
Gone but not forgotten E85 2.0 MSport