Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Shall I claim on my policy for damages? Third party hasn’t responded to the claim

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Kazim

Shall I claim on my policy for damages? Third party hasn’t responded to the claim

Post by Kazim » Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:17 am

About 6 weeks ago I was hit to the side by a car trying to join the roundabout I was about to exist.

I have the footage on dashcam, you can see the car and maybe the reg but not the direct collision because I was hit at the side.

The car did not stop to give me details but I managed to take a photo of his reg number, I have been waiting for almost a month but I have not heard anything from the third party insurance. I have called my insurance twice for an update but they are telling me, it is either I claim on my policy first then they can chase the third party for damages incurred or I have to wait to hear back from the third party but my insurance told me that they are not liable to respond at all to my claim unless I first claim on my insurance to which then they will have legal right to pursue payment.

This is the first time I have been involved with insurance for an accident and It feels unusual that my insurance is adamant that I claim on my policy for them to pursue the charges. Obviously it is not guaranteed that they would get the money from the third party so I could lose for having to claim on my policy for an accident that was at no fault of my own.

Any advice would be appreciated.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:11 am

Did you report it to the police at the time as its a fail to stop following an accident. Chances are the other driver will deny all knowledge otherwise they may own up if the police are involved.

Tim.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:12 am

Sounds like you have enough evidence to pursue the claim. You should have reported it to the police, as above, as the driver did not stop, which is an offence. How did you find their insurance details? Personally I would claim on my own insurance. Likely to cost you in increased premiums over time. But otherwise what is the point of fully comprehensive cover, assuming that is what you have.

biZ4rreMids

Post by biZ4rreMids » Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:22 am

As said above, make sure it is reported to the Police and get the ball rolling with your insurer, that’s what they are there for.

On the flip side you haven’t stated what car you have and the level of damage. If it’s an older Z with minor damage is it really worth making a claim?
Speed Yellow Porsche Boxster S
Previous:
Melbourne red 2016 20i MSport with a few subtle mods
Titanium Silver 2004 3.0SE with run flats

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:57 am

By reporting the claim to your insurance company, you will already have increased premiums next time whether you claim or not. May as well take it further via them as the claim has already been recorded.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scubaregs » Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:21 am

^^^^^Exactly this^^^^^
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:30 pm

pvr wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:57 am By reporting the claim to your insurance company, you will already have increased premiums next time whether you claim or not. May as well take it further via them as the claim has already been recorded.
It's a tricky one, but unfortunately true, I had a hit and run in a car park to the M135i and it went through BMWs bodyshop as I was on PCP with BMW, my premium jumped by 500 quid come renewal. Wished I'd used Chips Away now plus the claim is recorded for 5 years. Insurance is rubbish really.

Tim.

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:41 pm

UK insurance is rubbish yes, same with a car park incident where my wife's car was touched without damage in the car park. The owner of that car reported it to their insurance, which came back to ours (we had not claimed as there wasn't anything to claim for) but the premium for my wife on my M and Porsche made it go up by £1200, and that is without any claims being made but just having been reported by the third party.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:40 pm

The insurance company already know so may as well follow it up with them and make sure you report it to the Police. There could be a reason why they are not responding to you.
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:27 pm

Even if you call your insurer to 'enquire' about making a potential claim, the cost goes up for 5 years.
Learned that lesson a few years ago. No claim made, paid cash for a new headlight assembly, premium went up 20% for 5 years. The pheasant I hit was also keeping shtum. :x
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper » Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:43 pm

Even if the premium goes up on renewal you can get it back to something more sensible by changing insurers. At least that’s my experience.

Reporting an accident that happened six weeks ago is possibly not something you should be doing! Should have been reported within twenty four hours.

N4LLY

Post by N4LLY » Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:47 pm

Lesson learnt when scum tried to break the lock out my 318ti many years ago at the Newmarket races.
Punched a hole in the door before breaking the window. Reported to Police on site and got a police report number same day.
Took many pictures and thought nothing about not claiming repair on insurance.
Lost my non claims discount :x Went up about £700.--

Next incident's x 2 , some dick drove into to my "parked" Z3 twice and drove off, i did not bother claiming the £800 repair
or even reporting it.
20180927_173404.jpg
20180927_173404.jpg (89.5 KiB) Viewed 243 times
20180927_173404.jpg
20180927_173404.jpg (89.5 KiB) Viewed 243 times
Attachments
20161120_095901.jpg
20161120_095901.jpg (75.08 KiB) Viewed 243 times

2014 20 M sport Valencia Orange

Kazim

Post by Kazim » Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:34 am

TitanTim wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:11 am Did you report it to the police at the time as its a fail to stop following an accident
I did. I called 999 but they just asked me to call my insurance because I move my car away from traffic, so there was no need for them to be involved. They didn’t seem to care that the drive drove off.

Kazim

Post by Kazim » Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:35 am

buzyg wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:12 am How did you find their insurance details?
I got out my car got a photo his car with the reg plate. Reported it to my insurance.

Kazim

Post by Kazim » Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:37 am

Rockhopper wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:43 pm Reporting an accident that happened six weeks ago is possibly not something you should be doing! Should have been reported within twenty four hours.
Long story but I reported it to my actual insurance within 5 days after my accident. The first I called someone for the accident, it was a fraud line they had just duplicated Admirals website so I got fooled by them (luckily wasn’t scammed).