Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Digital Cluster

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
AnubisZed

Digital Cluster

Post by AnubisZed » Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:01 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:59 pm .......
Any specific questions then please post below and I'll pass these on.
Here's a few of mine that I'll send him tomorrow,

The M logo, can it be removed?
A - UI and font and themes customer can`t change
AnubisZed wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:59 pmIs it changeable from KPH to MPH?
A = Of course
AnubisZed wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:59 pmWill it display Cruise Control info?
A - Yes,
AnubisZed wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:59 pmQuite a few setting from the BC stalk are displayed and adjusted through the cluster, can these still be done this way?
A - All Cluster controled by OEM buttons
AnubisZed wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:59 pmWhen changing from Normal to Sport, to Sport+ will this be displayed on the screen, as it does now?
A - Yes, Can change to sports mode same as OME sports
Nictrix wrote:Looks good and so easy to change.
Things to change, TIRE, COLOR, STRATUP
The STRATUP instead of STARTUP I think would annoy me.
A - Yes, lol, But change to uk English, USA not like it.
My reply - More people speak UK English in the world than US English 😉 we invented the language.
Maybe another option in the language settings, US English or Proper English 😂
A - UK English fine
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

AnubisZed

Digital Cluster

Post by AnubisZed » Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:14 pm

B21 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:12 am
ProfCJJ wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:03 am Other questions worth asking: is it running Automotive Grade Linux, and what hardware/cpu is it running on?

I’ve been reading up on Linux in automotive applications and there are standards to do with “fail safe” etc - I wonder how much these standards have been adhered to??
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I’m struggling to comprehend how some Chinese coders / copies of other peoples code will have done a structured assessment of likely failure modes and produced redundant code to ensure continuity….

Given the likely market size , the type of user I’d think there will be close to zippo chance of any relevant post product customisation..

All IMHO…
OK so I've sent him this info and his reply was....

"1gb RAM 16gb ROM"
313468772_709334943461135_5942817836284516632_n.jpg
313468772_709334943461135_5942817836284516632_n.jpg (66.45 KiB) Viewed 780 times
Me - Is the Linux the Automotive grade version?
A - no,cannot automotive grade. upgrade by USB, it come with a USB
Me - So, if its not automotive grade, then what happens if something goes wrong?
A - use USB upgrade. usually no need upgrade. it's very stable
Me - I'm not up on what the difference is between standard Linux and Automotive Linux, but as he has asked the question and looked it up already, if it is supposed to be Automotive grade for a reason then surely it should be for safety reasons.

No response.

Sorry guys, but I'm getting ready to walk away from this. It's starting to look like something that'll do the job, in a fancy way but then that's it.
This last questiong has me worried, if there should be a latent redundency built-in then so be it, but this obviousley doesn't have it.
I'm trying my hardest to get him to send me one as soon as they have one available so I can install it and give it a real-world test to give an honest opinion. I'm being 100% up front with you all, I'm not paying £600 for something that is limited and doesn't do at least everything my current one can do. A 1 minute video doesn't cut it, I need hard evidence of it doing what it's supposed to do, before I can recommend it.

I will keep you all informed just as soon as I have some more info :thumbsup:
Dave

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Digital Cluster

Post by B21 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:53 pm

Good research work ! :thumbsup:

Having 'suffered' from a number of poorly coded Chinese products I share your concerns..several have hard coded US / metric units /language which you are stuck with..

I keep trying to like the ID 4 version..

https://id4motion.shop/collections/digi ... al-cluster

But unless you desperately want a change of dial style its (to me) not compelling especially with the butchery you have to do..

I see from a Youtube that the ID4 version has some lag in certain modes..

You don't see many broken E89 instrument clusters..

Carry on researching..

To be fair, a lot of things that would make these things nicer, like adding support for navigation instructions, media choices etc are all limited by the original and out of date / not supported code in the old OE boxes...
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard..

AnubisZed

Digital Cluster

Post by AnubisZed » Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:58 pm

The thing is I've only just retrofitted a cluster with the OE cruise control (ie; the LED's around the speedo) in mine so even if I do end up with one for testing I may not actually keep it in there.

I am concerned about the fact that they've made a cluster to look like a new BMW but not considered that different people may want different styles, and for the sake of a bit of built-in customisation they may loose a lot of sales. ID4Motion give you something to start with and the option for change, all be it at an extra cost.
Dave

ProfCJJ

Digital Cluster

Post by ProfCJJ » Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:15 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:14 pm
B21 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:12 am
ProfCJJ wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:03 am Other questions worth asking: is it running Automotive Grade Linux, and what hardware/cpu is it running on?

I’ve been reading up on Linux in automotive applications and there are standards to do with “fail safe” etc - I wonder how much these standards have been adhered to??
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I’m struggling to comprehend how some Chinese coders / copies of other peoples code will have done a structured assessment of likely failure modes and produced redundant code to ensure continuity….

Given the likely market size , the type of user I’d think there will be close to zippo chance of any relevant post product customisation..

All IMHO…
OK so I've sent him this info and his reply was....

"1gb RAM 16gb ROM"
313468772_709334943461135_5942817836284516632_n.jpg

Me - Is the Linux the Automotive grade version?
A - no,cannot automotive grade. upgrade by USB, it come with a USB
Me - So, if its not automotive grade, then what happens if something goes wrong?
A - use USB upgrade. usually no need upgrade. it's very stable
Me - I'm not up on what the difference is between standard Linux and Automotive Linux, but as he has asked the question and looked it up already, if it is supposed to be Automotive grade for a reason then surely it should be for safety reasons.

No response.

Sorry guys, but I'm getting ready to walk away from this. It's starting to look like something that'll do the job, in a fancy way but then that's it.
This last questiong has me worried, if there should be a latent redundency built-in then so be it, but this obviousley doesn't have it.
I'm trying my hardest to get him to send me one as soon as they have one available so I can install it and give it a real-world test to give an honest opinion. I'm being 100% up front with you all, I'm not paying £600 for something that is limited and doesn't do at least everything my current one can do. A 1 minute video doesn't cut it, I need hard evidence of it doing what it's supposed to do, before I can recommend it.

I will keep you all informed just as soon as I have some more info :thumbsup:
Thanks for the due diligence. I am under no illusions that this will be all tightly sewn up and perfect, but sometimes the answers you get to questions put tells you loads …

One thing I don’t like is the use of Serif Fonts (such as Times Roman) and the lack of customisation makes it less appealing …
---
Christopher

Z4 E89 sDrive 30i Msport in Alpine White with Kansas red leather interior and brushed aluminium carbon fibre look.

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Digital Cluster

Post by B21 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:56 pm

I’m an Arial man myself :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard..

ProfCJJ

Digital Cluster

Post by ProfCJJ » Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:53 am

Stumbled across this review today…

https://youtu.be/CNdhQmSG2ZQ
---
Christopher

Z4 E89 sDrive 30i Msport in Alpine White with Kansas red leather interior and brushed aluminium carbon fibre look.

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Digital Cluster

Post by B21 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:22 am

ProfCJJ wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:53 am Stumbled across this review today…

https://youtu.be/CNdhQmSG2ZQ
:thumbsup:

AnubisZed

Digital Cluster

Post by AnubisZed » Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:56 pm

Good video and nice review :thumbsup:
Dave

Marcoose

Digital Cluster

Post by Marcoose » Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:48 am

Nice video find.

The track mode seems interesting. Very simple, IMO. But the tach red line at the upper side is still a nuisance.

And I wonder what the display is like in the sun. Hopefully it’s not like the iDrive display.
2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps

ProfCJJ

Digital Cluster

Post by ProfCJJ » Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:12 am

I've bitten the bullet - I just ordered one to see if it will work - watch this space.

They don't know if it will work with the E89 but I reckon if it doesn't I can sell it on and at least get my money back.

I suspect it will probably work "electronically" but the issues I expect to be in fitment - we will see ...
---
Christopher

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Digital Cluster

Post by B21 » Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:21 pm

ProfCJJ wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:12 am I've bitten the bullet - I just ordered one to see if it will work - watch this space.

They don't know if it will work with the E89 but I reckon if it doesn't I can sell it on and at least get my money back.

I suspect it will probably work "electronically" but the issues I expect to be in fitment - we will see ...
Look forward to seeing how you get on..good to have pioneers on the Forum :thumbsup:

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Digital Cluster

Post by Pondrew » Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:36 pm

B21 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:21 pm good to have pioneers on the Forum
Always been a Panasonic man myself! :D

I just don't get all this!
If you want a 2022 digital 'computer game' instrument cluster, why not just buy a G29? Or any other G series BM?

For me it's like buying an Austin Seven and then turbocharging it. Sort of misses the point. :idunno:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

ProfCJJ

Digital Cluster

Post by ProfCJJ » Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:47 am

Pondrew wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:36 pm
B21 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:21 pm good to have pioneers on the Forum
Always been a Panasonic man myself! :D

I just don't get all this!
If you want a 2022 digital 'computer game' instrument cluster, why not just buy a G29? Or any other G series BM?

For me it's like buying an Austin Seven and then turbocharging it. Sort of misses the point. :idunno:
Couple of reasons …. “The challenge” and (more importantly) I don’t have the do$h for a G29, so retrofitting is the way for me.

As I’ve said before though - we all have our own tastes, ideas and ways of doing things, so it would be a boring place if we all thought the same eh?! :thumbsup:
---
Christopher

AnubisZed

Digital Cluster

Post by AnubisZed » Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:29 am

Pondrew wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:36 pm For me it's like buying an Austin Seven and then turbocharging it. Sort of misses the point. :idunno:
Nah, you need some Carlos Fandango wheels on there :rofl: :driving: but then it should really be a Ford Anglia...
https://youtu.be/nqqZ28m8uCo
Dave