Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Digital Cluster

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Digital Cluster

Post by Nictrix » Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:15 pm

B21 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:04 pm
Nictrix wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:38 pm This might be a stupid question but hey ho, what happens with the mileage reading after changing the cluster to one of these?
Does the mileage automatically show the correct reading, does the cluster get the info from somewhere else?
The CAS module and the display module hold the mileage….I’m assuming they code the new module as ‘new’ which AFAIK then allows the CAS to update the new display and avoid ‘red dot’ syndrome..not sure there is a red dot area in the display…
Thanks, I take it then if you were to swap the cluster for a few thousand miles and then put the original back in it would still show the correct mileage then, as in the updated mileage.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Digital Cluster

Post by B21 » Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:16 pm

B21 wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 2:56 pm Will be interesting to see what renditions they offer in s/w eg ‘classic’ ‘g29’ etc?
Looking these babies up it appears that there are several tinted renditions of a ‘G29’ type display only…ie no ‘classical’ display variants…
Attachments
B1C8E24E-92D7-45F9-8E89-475D922C1362.jpeg
B1C8E24E-92D7-45F9-8E89-475D922C1362.jpeg (176.36 KiB) Viewed 952 times
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Digital Cluster

Post by B21 » Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:17 pm

Nictrix wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:15 pm
B21 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:04 pm
Nictrix wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:38 pm This might be a stupid question but hey ho, what happens with the mileage reading after changing the cluster to one of these?
Does the mileage automatically show the correct reading, does the cluster get the info from somewhere else?
The CAS module and the display module hold the mileage….I’m assuming they code the new module as ‘new’ which AFAIK then allows the CAS to update the new display and avoid ‘red dot’ syndrome..not sure there is a red dot area in the display…
Thanks, I take it then if you were to swap the cluster for a few thousand miles and then put the original back in it would still show the correct mileage then, as in the updated mileage.
That’s the theory…that’s what would happen if you installed a new BMW cluster
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Digital Cluster

Post by Nictrix » Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:20 pm

B21 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:17 pm
Nictrix wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:15 pm
B21 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:04 pm The CAS module and the display module hold the mileage….I’m assuming they code the new module as ‘new’ which AFAIK then allows the CAS to update the new display and avoid ‘red dot’ syndrome..not sure there is a red dot area in the display…
That’s the theory…that’s what would happen if you ins
talled a new BMW cluster
:thumbsup:

AnubisZed

Digital Cluster

Post by AnubisZed » Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:12 am

Sorry guys, alas I have no further info at the moment.
I've not seen any other display options, and the mileage is, as stated above, stored in the CAS which transfers it to the cluster.
I will ask regarding swapping it back to stock about the tamper dot, as you wouldn't want that. But in theory as it still contains your VIN then it "should" be OK.

I'll try to get a video of one in actual use.
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

Christopher72

Digital Cluster

Post by Christopher72 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:17 pm

I just don't know how I'll realistically break my existing one to prove to my wife we need a new one... :rofl:
Christopher
2011 E89 Sdrive35i - Deep Sea Blue, Beige Kansas Leather
'fits in progress - PDC, Cameras, Comfort Access, Respray/Correction - all queued for poor weather.
(9) E46 convertibles; (1) E39 540i; (2) E36 Z3 roadsters; (1) Pre-prod E36 Z3- all gone

ProfCJJ

Digital Cluster

Post by ProfCJJ » Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:56 am

I would deffo be interested, especially if it allowed some customisation. :thumbsup:
---
Christopher

Z4 E89 sDrive 30i Msport in Alpine White with Kansas red leather interior and brushed aluminium carbon fibre look.

AnubisZed

Digital Cluster

Post by AnubisZed » Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:59 pm

OK some more info.....

Q - If someone wanted to swap back to their original cluster, would that still be possible without issue?
A - Yes, it`s no problem not change anything of OEM cluster

Q - Can you change the look of the cluster?
A - Yes, but need good quantity for custom the UI
Q - So it comes as one style from factory? Not changeable by customer later?
A - Yes can't change by customer latter, not allow customer change UI. Linux system,very stable, plug and play, I sold 100 pcs cluster 0 refund

Q - Do you have a video of one installed working showing it in use? Any BMW model
A - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hidmaE1GfM8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux1XKRJFtIY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SShA_7JV_A4

Q - One of those videos shows it to be a lcd panel and plastic front. I thought it was a all-in-one assembly that was identical to the original cluster.
Was the one in the video a pre production test one?
A - same as OEM, it's E90 with 2 part.

So there you have it. It is limited to the UI (clock style) that has been posted above, but you can have some individual set up within what is there.

Any specific questions then please post below and I'll pass these on.
Here's a few of mine that I'll send him tomorrow,

The M logo, can it be removed?

Is it changeable from KPH to MPH?

Will it display Cruise Control info?

Quite a few setting from the BC stalk are displayed and adjusted through the cluster, can these still be done this way?

When changing from Normal to Sport, to Sport+ will this be displayed on the screen, as it does now?

Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Digital Cluster

Post by B21 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:18 pm

Thanks for the due diligence :thumbsup:

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Digital Cluster

Post by Nictrix » Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:02 pm

Looks good and so easy to change.
Things to change, TIRE, COLOR, STRATUP
The STRATUP instead of STARTUP I think would annoy me.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Digital Cluster

Post by Pondrew » Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:16 pm

Nictrix wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:02 pm Looks good and so easy to change.
Things to change, TIRE, COLOR, STRATUP
The STRATUP instead of STARTUP I think would annoy me.
They can't spell tyre or colour properly so start-up may be a step too far IMO :wink:

When I look at these 'modern' digital displays with the angled main instruments, I just think of old computer games. :wink:

There was a Car SOS where they did a Lotus Esprit and got a 'bespoke' digital display for it. I thought that was done in the UK?
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

ProfCJJ

Digital Cluster

Post by ProfCJJ » Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:44 am

If it’s Linux based it might be “hackable” ….
---
Christopher

Z4 E89 sDrive 30i Msport in Alpine White with Kansas red leather interior and brushed aluminium carbon fibre look.

Marcoose

Digital Cluster

Post by Marcoose » Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:17 pm

The tachometer seems to have the redline towards the top part. With my height and settings, the 60-80-100 mph readings are always blocked. I’d want to keep an eye on RPM.
2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps

ProfCJJ

Digital Cluster

Post by ProfCJJ » Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:03 am

Other questions worth asking: is it running Automotive Grade Linux, and what hardware/cpu is it running on?

I’ve been reading up on Linux in automotive applications and there are standards to do with “fail safe” etc - I wonder how much these standards have been adhered to??
---
Christopher

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Digital Cluster

Post by B21 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:12 am

ProfCJJ wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:03 am Other questions worth asking: is it running Automotive Grade Linux, and what hardware/cpu is it running on?

I’ve been reading up on Linux in automotive applications and there are standards to do with “fail safe” etc - I wonder how much these standards have been adhered to??
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I’m struggling to comprehend how some Chinese coders / copies of other peoples code will have done a structured assessment of likely failure modes and produced redundant code to ensure continuity….

Given the likely market size , the type of user I’d think there will be close to zippo chance of any relevant post product customisation..

All IMHO…