Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Winter lay up

"M" Specific discussion
LawrenceW

Winter lay up

Post by LawrenceW » Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:41 am

Hi all, I know this topic can be down to opinion but given I’m relatively new to the S54 engine I wanted to pull on the experience and knowledge of the forum …

I’m laying up for winter my MC’, I’m fortunate that it’ll be garaged, covered etc and brought back out in the spring. Is there any evidence to suggest which is the better thing to do - periodically turn over the engine (till warm and remove any condensation out of the engine/exhaust) or do I just leave alone and start her up in the spring?

If helps the car is SORN so I don’t have the option of driving her during the winter lay up.

Any thoughts?

smorris_12

Winter lay up

Post by smorris_12 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:27 am

Put it away properly hot and leave well alone. It's not particularly long for a car to stand and repeated pointless startings does nothing any favours.

Topping the tank up is a thing too. If nothing else, with the way prices look to go, it's an investment!
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

Wassup

Winter lay up

Post by Wassup » Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:37 am

I tend to start my Z4MR and M3 Cab every month and then move them back and forth along the drive to avoid and issues with flat spots on the tyres, keep brakes/dsc unit moving. Usually I run the engine for 20 or so minutes and open the hood, run windows up and down, play the radio etc.

My wife says I need to get a life :rofl:
2008 Z4MR Ruby Black, Sepang Hell, Carbon Weave
2006 Z4 3.0si Montego Blue, Imola/Black individual
NCS/ISTA diagnostics & coding in Midlands - pm me

Argenta

Winter lay up

Post by Argenta » Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:45 am

Pref on stands (no flats), no starting (pull fuel fuse 1st start in spring) and no cover if there's ANY risk for 'windy' ventilation or movement. (will sctratch paint)

plenty

Winter lay up

Post by plenty » Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:59 am

I have cars older and more fragile than my Z4 that I leave standing for several months without doing anything more than disconnecting the battery. Not had an issue yet.

grannyknot

Winter lay up

Post by grannyknot » Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:08 pm

As mentioned above, leave it. Change the oil and let it sit, starting it up will create more condensation than will occur naturally. If you do have to start it up then it must run until fully up to temp to evaporate the water.
2008 E86 M coupe
Toronto, Ontario

LawrenceW

Winter lay up

Post by LawrenceW » Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:13 pm

Thanks for the feedback all - I like the idea of pulling the fuel fuse, im presuming this will allow the engine to turn but not fire and therefore the oil pump to feed oil ahead of fire up?

I used to have a couple of 80’s GTI’s that I used to take the Ignition lead off the dizzy cap to do exactly the same thing….

Pref on stands (no flats), no starting (pull fuel fuse 1st start in spring) and no cover if there's ANY risk for 'windy' ventilation or movement. (will sctratch paint)
[/quote]

Wassup

Winter lay up

Post by Wassup » Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:51 pm

A BMW master tech once told me to start the car every now and then and move it as the DSC units have a tenancy gum up especially on the MK60 and MK20 models if left standing for significant periods of time. This was based on him seeing many low mileage M cars coming thought the BMW workshop for failed DSC units with a £2k repair bill.

However, I forgot to ask what was a significant period of time in his opinion :headbang:

He also advised to get it up to temperature and run the heaters too. One other thing he said was to leave a tray of dishwasher salts inside the car to stop condensation building within the car interior, this does work from experience as the salts trap moisture in the air.
2008 Z4MR Ruby Black, Sepang Hell, Carbon Weave
2006 Z4 3.0si Montego Blue, Imola/Black individual
NCS/ISTA diagnostics & coding in Midlands - pm me

LawrenceW

Winter lay up

Post by LawrenceW » Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:38 pm

Thanks Wassup, appreciate the tech insight
:thumbsup:

abar121

Winter lay up

Post by abar121 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:38 pm

I would go with Wassup's advice. That's what I do, but just make sure you warm it up thoroughly before switching off.
'07 Z4M Interlagos Blue. All options except extended leather.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Winter lay up

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:16 pm

Interesting topic as now I have a garage my plan is to SORN mine for a few months - once I've cleared enough space to get the car in! :oops:

I was thinking a good run, a full tank, over-inflate the tyres a bit to prevent flat spots, put it away on a trickle charger and leave it alone until it comes out of hibernation.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

AndyBeech

Winter lay up

Post by AndyBeech » Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:14 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:16 pm Interesting topic as now I have a garage my plan is to SORN mine for a few months - once I've cleared enough space to get the car in! :oops:

I was thinking a good run, a full tank, over-inflate the tyres a bit to prevent flat spots, put it away on a trickle charger and leave it alone until it comes out of hibernation.
I’ve done this the last 4 years Nov to April and never had an issue. Starts up first time in April, drive off, job done.
5-6 months is hardly a long period of time in the scheme of things. It’ll be fine, don’t overthink it and worry yourself ;)
If something is wrong when you bring it out of hibernation it was probably already wrong or not in a good state before hibernation.
Z4MR - Gruppe M, Bilstein PSS10, CSL's + 18" CSL reps with semi's, RTAB Limiters, Powerflex’d, PF Camber Arms, K-Sport BBK / RSL-29, GC Camber Plates, Strut Brace, Exhaust valves, custom brake cooling, complete underside refresh!

LawrenceW

Winter lay up

Post by LawrenceW » Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:24 am

Cheers all, appreciate the advice/reassurance

mark seeker

Winter lay up

Post by mark seeker » Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:52 am

I typically take the car for a long run to get everything hot before laying up, overinflate the tyres, leave at least 3/4 tank of fuel in (vPower), leave the windows cracked by 1 inch, place the wiper blades off the screen and let the cTek do its job. Awaken 6 months later...
Current - Ruby Black MR