Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Windscreen-mounted Phone Holder?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
moogsolo

Post by moogsolo » Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:47 pm

Hi All, just wondered if anyone has any recommendations for a high-quality windscreen-mounted phone holder? Much as I like the iDrive Navigation, I've always preferred Google or Apple maps so I want to be able to see the phone at eye level and I don't like vent-mounted models.

I've already tried a device that had a bendy gooseneck arm and that was useless as the arm and holder would wobble badly with the road vibrations. Therefore, I'd prefer a fixed or telescopic arm from the suction cup.

Also, the suction cup must be strong and secure - the last one became detached after a day or so and drop off the windscreen, thereby triggering the alarm!

Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks :)
2014 Z4 S-Drive 35is Auto M-Sport, silver, black leather, miles of smiles :D

N4LLY

Post by N4LLY » Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:09 pm

2014 20 M sport Valencia Orange

Idlfc

Post by Idlfc » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:29 pm

I have this holder and it’s really good quality - had no issues with it

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:05 am

There are several good reasons for not using an eye-level holder, especially with the top down.
Have a guess.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Christopher72

Post by Christopher72 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:27 am

Better Solution -- Leave your phone charging under the armrest and install https://www.mr12volt.com/collections/bm ... erface-dsp

@AnubisZed's walkthrough - https://youtu.be/EY4XAzUYiXk
Christopher
2011 E89 Sdrive35i - Deep Sea Blue, Beige Kansas Leather
'fits in progress - PDC, Cameras, Comfort Access, Respray/Correction - all queued for poor weather.
(9) E46 convertibles; (1) E39 540i; (2) E36 Z3 roadsters; (1) Pre-prod E36 Z3- all gone

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:38 pm

Christopher72 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:27 am Better Solution -- Leave your phone charging under the armrest and install https://www.mr12volt.com/collections/bm ... erface-dsp

At over 20 X the price of the phone holder and having had one of these boxes go faulty on me (albeit from another supplier) with no waranty cover I totally fail to see how thats a better option!
Maps on a phone is far better resolution than on the comparitively primitive Idrive displays we have.
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Christopher72

Post by Christopher72 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:13 pm

mcbutler wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:38 pm
Christopher72 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:27 am Better Solution -- Leave your phone charging under the armrest and install https://www.mr12volt.com/collections/bm ... erface-dsp

At over 20 X the price of the phone holder and having had one of these boxes go faulty on me (albeit from another supplier) with no waranty cover I totally fail to see how thats a better option!
Maps on a phone is far better resolution than on the comparitively primitive Idrive displays we have.
True on resolution. I'm more interested in changing my Spotify without messing with the phone. I usually know where I'm going, and if I don't, well I'll get there soon enough and enjoy the ride. I've really challenged myself recently to stop relying on GPS and restrengthen my route planning of my younger years when I had to stop the car and walk into a box to make a phone call.
Christopher
2011 E89 Sdrive35i - Deep Sea Blue, Beige Kansas Leather
'fits in progress - PDC, Cameras, Comfort Access, Respray/Correction - all queued for poor weather.
(9) E46 convertibles; (1) E39 540i; (2) E36 Z3 roadsters; (1) Pre-prod E36 Z3- all gone

Calps

Post by Calps » Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:39 pm

If the goal is to change Spotify/music etc., and minimise taking your eyes off the road whilst doing so, you might be interested in the setup that I currently have. Phone is mounted on the dash, near the steering wheel. Easy to glance at for maps, and within reach of your finger without removing your hands from the wheel: viewtopic.php?p=1872476#p1872476

That the mount itself isn't the most visually offensive and support wireless charging, also helps

Alternatively, Quad Lock offer a robust windscreen mount (and a dashboard equivalent as well, if I'm not mistaken) that has a neat design form. You'll need the matching phone cover for it to attach, however both are well designed and high quality. I have used their products on my bikes for years.
windscreen.jpg
windscreen.jpg (48.89 KiB) Viewed 265 times
(I also agree with you regarding reducing dependency on maps btw. Same goes for parking sensors. Both excellent aids, however can make our other skills less sharp).
MelZ: Black Sapphire Z4C

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:50 pm

Whereas I appreciate the price difference between a phone holder and the Mr12volt MMI, the thing here is that you can leave your phone in your pocket, your handbag (or whatever bag!), the glovebox or the centre console, but the important thing is that you are not tempted to touch your phone while driving! Don't forget that it is now an offence to touch your phone while driving! So no changing music tracks or changing your sat-nav!
Using an MMI in conjunction with your existing iDrive it is controlled by the steering wheel buttons and the iDrive controller, you can also use voice control for Siri and Hey Google to change music or for sat-nav destinations (or anything else you talk to them about!). Now the Mr12volt MMI box is better connected to the system than the other boxes (optical MOST connection for digital sound instead of the analogue AUX input), and is produced by a company that have been making optical connected audio devices for cars for the last 15 years. They are very good at listening to their customers about any issues that might come up (especially this box, as there is a massive 61 page post on this over on m3post.com) and making improvements accordingly with software updates etc.

Yes it is expensive, but it's better then some fly-by-night Chinese company on Aliexpress who just don't care what they sell.
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q