Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Swapping summer to winter wheels

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
tonyg

Post by tonyg » Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:16 pm

I want to shortly swap my summer wheels/tyres to my new second-hand winter ones. I live near Hertford, a bit north of London. There are a number of companies that will swap and balance my newly-purchased wheels at home. However I'd like both sets cleaned beforehand to remove brake-dust (no need for full refurb, both sets are in great condition). Is there a company that will do this as well as swapping as it's not easy for me as I don't have a pressure washer as I live in a flat.
Thank you in advance.

Stuartt

Post by Stuartt » Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:42 pm

Hi,
Either go and do it round a mate or family members house or get down the local clean park with them.

That’s what I’d do.

Stuart
2004 3.0i SE Roadster , GONE to a good home :thumbsup:
2010 e89 35i Sdrive M sport. GONE for salvage :cry: but has been reborn

2014 e89 35is M-Sport Design Pure Traction 😈😈😈

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:02 pm

tonyg wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:16 pm I want to shortly swap my summer wheels/tyres to my new second-hand winter ones. I live near Hertford, a bit north of London. There are a number of companies that will swap and balance my newly-purchased wheels at home. However I'd like both sets cleaned beforehand to remove brake-dust (no need for full refurb, both sets are in great condition). Is there a company that will do this as well as swapping as it's not easy for me as I don't have a pressure washer as I live in a flat.
Thank you in advance.
Why do you need a pressure washer (or a company) to clean some wheels? A bucket of soapy water and a rag will suffice, maybe a bit of 'wonder wheels' if the brake dust is ground in. If you've bought second hand wheels with tyres on, they will be already balanced, surely? If you are putting new tyres on, then the tyre garage will balance them anyway.

Buy a £35 trolley jack from Screwfix or Machine Mart. You can then swap them over yourself and give them a thorough clean, one by one.

Or pay someone loads to do it for you. :wink:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:15 pm

Plus it's easy and give satisfaction of a job well done :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.