Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Recommendations for battery charger/maintainer.

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Johnbmwz4

Post by Johnbmwz4 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:04 pm

I have both CTEK MX5 and the cheap Lidl one. I have 2 cars and didn’t want to spend loads of cash on 2 CTEKs. Both work great and the Lidl one has very long wires which reach to both terminals under the bonnet of the E89 unlike the CTEK. The only thing wrong with the Lidl if the power goes off you have to turn it back on again unlike the CTEK that turns itself back on to the last setting. I have had both chargers ( one at a time) charging my E89 for long periods with no issues at all.
BMW E89 3.5i M Sport manual, loving it….
Audi S5 Cab, Great car but not special enough….
BMW E89 3.5i DCT, Havana Brown, should never have sold it…..
BMW E85 3.0 Auto, sadly missed (twice)

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:13 pm

Johnbmwz4 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:04 pm I have both CTEK MX5 and the cheap Lidl one. I have 2 cars and didn’t want to spend loads of cash on 2 CTEKs. Both work great and the Lidl one has very long wires which reach to both terminals under the bonnet of the E89 unlike the CTEK. The only thing wrong with the Lidl if the power goes off you have to turn it back on again unlike the CTEK that turns itself back on to the last setting. I have had both chargers ( one at a time) charging my E89 for long periods with no issues at all.
I ran a data logger on one of the Lidl ones and it charged the battery fine but once it reached capacity it trip off line and wouldn't recharge without explicitly being disconnected and reconnected..maybe I didn't wait long enough for it to re-charge..haven't tested the other one yet..

We have power drop outs quite often here (end of a long piece of damp string up the valley) so went belt n braces..since I go into the my new garage several times a week probably fairly academic..but we will see..

I'll try all three back to back over the winter..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

philip hedley

Post by philip hedley » Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:32 pm

I ended up buying an Einhell 4 amp smart charger, it has a dedicated AGM battery charging profile, the conditioning stage is selectable and there was £11 off the RRP at amazon. Some smart chargers don't have a dedicated AGM charging cycle (CTEK do) and the reconditioning cycle is not deselectable. Apparantly AGM batteries shouldn't be reconditioned. Einhell also recommend the battery is disconnected whilst charging to err on the side of caution.

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:26 am

philip hedley wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:32 pm I ended up buying an Einhell 4 amp smart charger, it has a dedicated AGM battery charging profile, the conditioning stage is selectable and there was £11 off the RRP at amazon. Some smart chargers don't have a dedicated AGM charging cycle (CTEK do) and the reconditioning cycle is not deselectable. Apparantly AGM batteries shouldn't be reconditioned. Einhell also recommend the battery is disconnected whilst charging to err on the side of caution.
Repetitive charging the battery on an E89 whilst it’s off the car and /or via the battery terminals confuses the Intelligent Battery System IBS..resulting in incorrect charging profiles and failure to predict when load shedding should be applied.

If the battery charger has the possibility of damage to the car’s electronics it’s not really the charger for a car such as the E89 which is so sensitive in so many areas to correct battery capacity and it’s management.

In general for an E89 if you have reached the point where you are looking at having to recondition a battery it’s time to get a new one.
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup: