Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

A guide for skinning the leather off (MSport) leather seats

How-To articles are in here.
ProfCJJ

Post by ProfCJJ » Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:49 pm

A few weeks ago I purchased a pair of electric, memory, heated MSport seats from a breaker which were in top condition. I used them as donors to place the leather off my MSport manual non-heated seats in Koral red leather onto the frame. Essentially, I skinned the leather off the black "donor" seats, then did the same with my Koral red seats and swapped the leather around. As I essentially did this process 4 times now I decided to document the process, so I created a PDF of a "how-to" that I link below (can we not upload PDFs to the forum?)

I did this for the driver's seat but of course the process is the same for either seat.

I hope this might be useful for someone who is trying to do this.

:thumbsup:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uryv0byjg0mot ... l.pdf?dl=0
---
Christopher

Z4 E89 sDrive 30i Msport in Alpine White with Kansas red leather interior and brushed aluminium carbon fibre look.

Special Kay

Post by Special Kay » Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:41 am

Christopher, thank you for taking the trouble to plan a comprehensive guide, I found it very interesting :thumbsup:

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:03 am

Great write-up :thumbsup:
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:08 pm

The only problem with those staple type hog rings, you can end up with pointy bits sticking through leather. Better if you can find round.

ProfCJJ

Post by ProfCJJ » Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:30 pm

flybobbie wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:08 pm The only problem with those staple type hog rings, you can end up with pointy bits sticking through leather. Better if you can find round.
The ones I have (and I have since bought more variety) close really tightly and whilst not really round they end up like squares with very rounded edges. Plus I make sure the “pointy” ends are pointing into the foam when applied. Time will tell :!:
---
Christopher

Z4 E89 sDrive 30i Msport in Alpine White with Kansas red leather interior and brushed aluminium carbon fibre look.