Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

alternative original screen

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
JPR

Post by JPR » Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:14 pm

I recently acquired a BMW Z4, E89 from 2014. This is equipped with navigation with folding screen. However, not with the ability to stream music via the phone. Phone can be connected for calling, but not for streaming. After some searching on the internet I understand that this has to do with whether or not a combox is present. Previous owner would not have found that interesting.

Now looking for other options. Option is an Android screen, but then the original folding screen expires, which I do like again.

Is there also a possibility to switch to an Android screen while retaining the folding screen???

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:54 pm

None of the Android screens allow you to fold it down, but......

You can fit an mmi box that gives you Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.
This is my video on how to install one, and a link (in the description) to the website to buy one.....
https://youtu.be/EY4XAzUYiXk

I also fit these if that's not your thing :thumbsup:
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

JPR

Post by JPR » Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:02 pm

Thx Dave.....looks like a lot of.work....the video is 33 minutes but I guess in real time it takes a little more? :? :?

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:33 pm

JPR wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:02 pm Thx Dave.....looks like a lot of.work....the video is 33 minutes but I guess in real time it takes a little more? :? :?
Yes it takes a bit longer than that, takes me about an hour, but then ive taken a few of these apart before :D

Price wise this mmi is $429, whereas the Android screen is $750, so a much cheaper option and you get quality digital sound via the optical network in the car instead of using the analogue AUX socket (all other mmi boxes and Android screens use the AUX socket).
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

JPR

Post by JPR » Sat Oct 29, 2022 12:06 am

Thx for the info, i will get into that... :thumbsup:

stevenfstein

Post by stevenfstein » Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:53 pm

Bimmertech sells replacement MMI units. Had one installed that gives me both Apple Carplay or Android auto. Also had them install front and rear cameras that hook into the unit. Steering wheel controls and voice entry work fine.

Best... Steve