Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Auto Roof Open stopped working?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Oxtobyd

Post by Oxtobyd » Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:24 am

ori wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:23 am Oxtobyd, have you found it?
i've looked for an add-on module under the ash-tray area and nothing, also looked behind the passenger seat (behind the panels) and there's only the factory fitted roof control module, so nope not found any add-ons. the mystery continues. i vaguely recall when i first got the car about 2 years ago as a project it never used to lower the roof by itself, then one-day it just started doing it, and hence why i then figured out the button combo's for stop it lowering, forcing it to lower, and then raising it again all via the key-fob, but as noted it's stopped working again since disconnecting and reconnecting main battery.

ori

Post by ori » Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:42 pm

Oxtobyd wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:24 am
i've looked for an add-on module under the ash-tray area and nothing, also looked behind the passenger seat (behind the panels) and there's only the factory fitted roof control module, so nope not found any add-ons. the mystery continues. i vaguely recall when i first got the car about 2 years ago as a project it never used to lower the roof by itself, then one-day it just started doing it, and hence why i then figured out the button combo's for stop it lowering, forcing it to lower, and then raising it again all via the key-fob, but as noted it's stopped working again since disconnecting and reconnecting main battery.
That’s not where a mod is fitted though. You 100% have one installed.

Oxtobyd

Post by Oxtobyd » Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:53 pm

ori wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:42 pm
Oxtobyd wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:24 am
That’s not where a mod is fitted though. You 100% have one installed.
If it’s the smarttop module it’s behind the passenger seat as described, and not there (see http://www.mods4cars.com/sms/db/smartto ... pin/en.php) if it’s the gap-tech then under the ash tray, also not there. Which other module is there so I can try and find it?

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:37 pm

There is also an eOpen module
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Oxtobyd

Post by Oxtobyd » Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:22 pm

Update, I have no idea what’s changed other than I cleared some codes in ista (having done some work on the Vanos, so not related) and the auto top down on button opening now works again, and I couldn’t find a SmartTop or Gap-Tech module in the usual places, and didn’t look behind panels in the boot (because it’s started working), so I’ll chalk this up to a happy mystery.

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:59 pm

I had the same type of mystery with my roof. When I got the car I found that I could open and close the roof by holding down the buttons on the key fob. I disconnected the battery to change the starter motor and it stopped working. Today it's back again, who knows what mysterious ways the Z4 works. :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

M@_

Post by M@_ » Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:05 pm

I can say the roof won’t work if the windows are not programmed. The car wants the window rolled down.
2003 3.0i