Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Softer seats

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Softer seats

Post by MikeyH » Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:52 pm

I’ve looked into the cost of having my e85 sport seats made more comfortable. I’ve put up with them now for just over a year and have had enough. It will cost £250 plus vat for both seats to have the foam replaced and more added to give them more comfort also I’ve been told he can add a balloon gadget for lumber support. This would be extra. It’s only a 2.2 but I love my zed and want to keep it for many more years. I would be interested in what you all think. Am I being daft?
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Softer seats

Post by Argyll Andy » Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:15 am

If it’s only £300 and makes it more comfy for you, a no brainer imo :thumbsup:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

MikeyH
    Lifer
    Lifer

Softer seats

Post by MikeyH » Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:21 am

Wife agrees with you :thumbsup:
    Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
    Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

Joycey

Softer seats

Post by Joycey » Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:54 am

This is something I keep thinking about, I've done 60k miles in my zed and always complain how firm the seats are.

I have the champagne leather combo with the door cards, keep thinking about going alcantara in biscuit with some added padding.

DMike

Softer seats

Post by DMike » Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:25 am

Knowing how much work is involved is needed to just remove the leather, then that’s a great offer. Personally I’d add the lumbar support while there. If you want things to look oem, iirc, the control panel in the electric seats is common to some other bmw’s (e46?) that have lumbar support as an option, and thus there is a placeholder for a lumbar support switch.
    2005 Z4 3.0i Sterling grey

MikeyH
    Lifer
    Lifer

Softer seats

Post by MikeyH » Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:28 am

The lumber support he suggested was a balloon type, I’m assuming it has some kind of pump action.

DMike

Softer seats

Post by DMike » Sun Oct 23, 2022 2:28 pm

MikeyH wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:28 am The lumber support he suggested was a balloon type, I’m assuming it has some kind of pump action.
    Here’s a description of the system used in e46, includes a pump that inflates the cushion.
    https://www.glaver.org/lumbar/index.shtml

MikeyH
    Lifer
    Lifer

Softer seats

Post by MikeyH » Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:45 pm

Thank you DMike, that looks like quite an expensive upgrade though.

DMike

Softer seats

Post by DMike » Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:57 pm

MikeyH wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:45 pm Thank you DMike, that looks like quite an expensive upgrade though.
    There could be aftermarket ones, that could be modified to use the oem button. No idea how well the seat back of the M-seats would suit for installing the extra cushion, though. Perhaps someone here has photos of one with the rear trim removed.