Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Compulsory smart meters?

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Compulsory smart meters?

Post by Nanu » Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:07 pm

We have just received an email from Octopus energy stating our meter ( they don’t stipulate which one) is coming up to the end of its certification period and needs to be replaced with a Smart meter.

We are checking when the period ends and proof as we do not want a smart meter.

Has anyone else had similar emails and whilst I know that it must be replaced if the certification period ends, must it be replaced with a smart meter and what if one meter is at its end but the other isn’t.
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Compulsory smart meters?

Post by MikeyH » Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:24 pm

I don't want a smart meter and eon keeps pressuring us to have one, I always say no. As far as I know you don't have to have one which to me means its replaced with like for like. When our gas meter was replaced last year it was with a standard one.
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Compulsory smart meters?

Post by Ole gits rule » Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:29 pm

I had one previously, threw it out as it was constantly cutting out due to internet connection issues and of zero use, it showed how much power was being consumed but not what was consuming it unless you had it in your hand as you switched something on.

Also I had a £1000 electric bill and still not convinced there was not an error with the smart meter.

I now just enter the reading each month and two days later I get a mail saying you have used XXX - check you account
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Compulsory smart meters?

Post by buzyg » Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:32 pm

Have to ask. Why don't you want a smart Meter?

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Compulsory smart meters?

Post by Nanu » Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:54 pm

buzyg wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:32 pm Have to ask. Why don't you want a smart Meter?
simple, if they want to implement a blackout, they flick a switch and bang goes your power. If there is a problem with your internet connection and your meter does not record a reading, your cut off. Remote Internet connections can be hacked, the less I have the better. Apart from my phone all my tech is hard wired.

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Compulsory smart meters?

Post by Nanu » Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:56 pm

MikeyH wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:24 pm I don't want a smart meter and eon keeps pressuring us to have one, I always say no. As far as I know you don't have to have one which to me means its replaced with like for like. When our gas meter was replaced last year it was with a standard one.
octopus say on its website they don’t install non smart meters

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

smorris_12

Compulsory smart meters?

Post by smorris_12 » Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:14 pm

The one thing they never mention about smart meters, which has been a thing for over 25 years in industry, is variable tarrifs. In industry the day is cut into many, many periods defined by the provider. Each period (say 15 minutes) can be billed at a different rate. Use more electric at popular times and they charge more per unit. Basically the same idea as Economy 7 but more than 2 counters on your meter!

Not something I'm keen on seeing at home.
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

mgrlane

Compulsory smart meters?

Post by mgrlane » Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:18 pm

Nanu wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:54 pm
buzyg wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:32 pm Have to ask. Why don't you want a smart Meter?
simple, if they want to implement a blackout, they flick a switch and bang goes your power. If there is a problem with your internet connection and your meter does not record a reading, your cut off. Remote Internet connections can be hacked, the less I have the better. Apart from my phone all my tech is hard wired.
100% this.

Best case scenario they are a handy thing for making you more efficient.

Worst case your power can be throttled and turned off at will.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Compulsory smart meters?

Post by TitanTim » Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:25 pm

Had a smart meter for years never think about it or messing about sending in meter readings. If they cut the power I'm quids in :)

Tim.

smorris_12

Compulsory smart meters?

Post by smorris_12 » Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:30 pm

mgrlane wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:18 pm Worst case your power can be throttled and turned off at will.
Excepting that this isn't the case. Meters don't include the contactor necessary for swiching the supply off; there's no such thing as being able to "throttle" a supply and knowingly switching supplies off could lead to god knows what legal repercussions!
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Compulsory smart meters?

Post by Nanu » Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:38 pm

smorris_12 wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:30 pm
mgrlane wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:18 pm Worst case your power can be throttled and turned off at will.
Excepting that this isn't the case. Meters don't include the contactor necessary for swiching the supply off; there's no such thing as being able to "throttle" a supply and knowingly switching supplies off could lead to god knows what legal repercussions!
My neighbour had a car charging point fitted to his garage. After he researched it fully, he found that there was a mechanism in place whereby power could be reduced or limited remotely or restrict usage to certain times of day.

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Ed Doe

Compulsory smart meters?

Post by Ed Doe » Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:30 pm

:lol: f**k me this is hilarious. Because obviously a smart meter is what's needed to switch off your supply. Rather than you know, the distribution station.

They'll f***ing turn your gas off if they want to, won't make a blind bit of difference if you're hiding under a tinfoil hat in the cupboard under the stairs with an abacus calculating your meter reading or hooked up to a smart meter.

Honestly
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Compulsory smart meters?

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:37 pm

Ed's right there. :thumbsup:

Our electricity got turned off plenty of times during the days of the 3 Day Week in the 70s - and Smart meters hadn't been invented!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Chippie

Compulsory smart meters?

Post by Chippie » Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:39 pm

Ed Doe wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:30 pm :lol: f**k me this is hilarious. Because obviously a smart meter is what's needed to switch off your supply. Rather than you know, the distribution station.

They'll f***ing turn your gas off if they want to, won't make a blind bit of difference if you're hiding under a tinfoil hat in the cupboard under the stairs with an abacus calculating your meter reading or hooked up to a smart meter.

Honestly
:rofl: :rofl: :thumbsup:
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

mgrlane

Compulsory smart meters?

Post by mgrlane » Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:51 pm

Ed Doe wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:30 pm :lol: f**k me this is hilarious. Because obviously a smart meter is what's needed to switch off your supply. Rather than you know, the distribution station.

Honestly
Can turn my gas off all they like. I am on oil and solar/batt.

If they turned my electricity off for an hour or so- I wouldn't notice it tbf.

Hardly need an abucas to give them a reading. Once every couple of months I type in a number on the computer along with the solar meter reading.

I don't see any benefit in having an energy company know when I turn my kettle on and how many times I do a day/when and how I use the electricity or being able to monitor it in real time.