Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof panel corrosion?

Busterboo

Roof panel corrosion?

Post by Busterboo » Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:56 pm

1 E89 roof panels are aluminium, aren't they? (Well, my 'Hello Kitty' fridge magnet says they're not ferrous, anyway.)
2 Assuming they are, is the prime suspect for damage galvanic corrosion?
3 If it is, are all our E89s in danger of such damage, then?
4 If it isn't, is there another known cause?
Vidi, vici, veni

AnubisZed

Roof panel corrosion?

Post by AnubisZed » Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:19 pm

Busterboo wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:56 pm 1 E89 roof panels are aluminium, aren't they? (Well, my 'Hello Kitty' fridge magnet says they're not ferrous, anyway.)
2 Assuming they are, is the prime suspect for damage galvanic corrosion?
3 If it is, are all our E89s in danger of such damage, then?
4 If it isn't, is there another known cause?
1, Yes
2, :idunno:
3, Yes
4, :tumbleweed:
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

pvr
Legend
Legend

Roof panel corrosion?

Post by pvr » Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:22 pm

Like with alloy wheels, corrosion normally start where there was a stone chip.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Roof panel corrosion?

Post by Pondrew » Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:01 pm

BeardyJon summed it up well on the other roof corrosion thread IMHO:

Quote:
“Rust” is another name for Iron Oxide, which is produced by the chemical reaction of Iron and Oxygen. The process of Oxidation is also known as corrosion and Aluminium is also susceptible to corrosion when exposed to Oxygen. So, no Aluminium can’t “rust” (because it is not Iron) but it can corrode and if its not properly sealed and protected it will react with atmospheric oxygen to produce Aluminium Oxide. That’s why there are a lot of cases of this happening to z4 owners. If your car hasn't suffered then you're one of the lucky ones I guess but it doesn't mean it can’t happen.

The roof panels are folded at the edges and more so in the corners. The roof panels sit against rubber seals when closed. Moisture seems to sit in the gaps and gets into the folds of the ally. If the paint hasn't sealed the folds on the underside, the moisture tracks under the paint and causes corrosion to the metal which gives the paint nothing to adhere to, so bubbles. That's how I see it happening anyway.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Busterboo

Roof panel corrosion?

Post by Busterboo » Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:56 am

My aluminium bonnet has plenty of stone chips, but zero corrosion. The wings are aluminium, too, but (chip and) corrosion free.

Accordingly, I'm tempted to believe galvanic corrosion is the culprit on other owners' roof panels.

That said, whatever the cause, it can happen to all of us, of course, and, when it does, 'money out of BMW' and 'blood out of a stone' will sound identical.
Vidi, vici, veni

AnubisZed

Roof panel corrosion?

Post by AnubisZed » Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:57 am

Busterboo wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:56 am My aluminium bonnet has plenty of stone chips, but zero corrosion. The wings are aluminium, too, but (chip and) corrosion free.

Accordingly, I'm tempted to believe galvanic corrosion is the culprit on other owners' roof panels.

That said, whatever the cause, it can happen to all of us, of course, and, when it does, 'money out of BMW' and 'blood out of a stone' will sound identical.
Agreed, my roof paintwork was not damaged from the outside, the bubbling came from the inside and, surprisingly, at the same place as most others have. Up to that point no issues at all, rubbers hadn't been touched and no chips, so no reason for it to happen from an outside source.

It did take a bit of time for BMW to agree it, but I do think that the manager at Nottingham Sytners wasn't exactly bothering to give it any attention whats-so-ever, in fact I'd go as far as to say he was totally £*$&ing useless!
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q