Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Used car market

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Used car market

Post by Pondrew » Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:07 am

Seems to have gone to absolute shite.
Just 12 months ago I sold a car for £5k more than I bought it for, five months earlier, via Motorway.
Today Motorway are offering £7k LESS than I bought another car for, again bought five months ago.

I know there is a squeeze on money from every direction, but the speed with which things have changed is scary! :(
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Used car market

Post by Ole gits rule » Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:35 am

There is indeed a shift in used values, people are starting to watch the pennies at the moment, so one place to save easily is on a new car purchase

I assume this is the 4 series, so convertible prices always drop in winter plus not many will want a 440i with fuel prices they are at the moment.

It is scary but if buying then the price of that would have dropped as well, always about cost to change for me.
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

pvr
Legend
Legend

Used car market

Post by pvr » Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:01 pm

On balance you are quits then :D

There has been a massive tax increase those for a lot of people that would buy that sort of car, as well as a predicted hike in elec / gas next april again for the same people as support will be cancelled, plus increase in dividend tax and if self employed, increase from 19 --> 25% tax on profits before the dividend tax, so the biggest tax hike ever for your target market.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

True-Blue
Lifer
Lifer

Used car market

Post by True-Blue » Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:53 pm

The only comfort I can think of is that if you intend to replace it with something else (of similar value or more) then it’s all relative…..

I’m seriously considering not having a ‘toy’ car and reducing our fleet from 3 cars to 2. On this basis, both of our cars need at least 4 seats so the Zed may go.

For me it’s a case of do I advertise for a lower price now with the aim of selling this side of Christmas, or just wait until spring when it will be easier to sell - either way, something else would be incoming and we’d sell my partner’s trusty Kia Rio to get down to two cars.
Alpina Roadster S Lux no. 204 (1 of 15 uk cars in Alpina Blue)

Previous Z4’s :E89 30i, E89 20i, E85 3.0Si (X4) E85 3.0i, E86 3.0 Si, E85 2.5si, E85 2.5i

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Used car market

Post by Pondrew » Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:03 pm

True-Blue wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:53 pm I’m seriously considering not having a ‘toy’ car and reducing our fleet from 3 cars to 2. On this basis, both of our cars need at least 4 seats so the Zed may go.
You need a lovely 440 convertible mate. Best compromise. I may know someone who has one...... :D
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Used car market

Post by Ole gits rule » Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:11 pm

True-Blue wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:53 pm The only comfort I can think of is that if you intend to replace it with something else (of similar value or more) then it’s all relative…..

I’m seriously considering not having a ‘toy’ car and reducing our fleet from 3 cars to 2. On this basis, both of our cars need at least 4 seats so the Zed may go.

For me it’s a case of do I advertise for a lower price now with the aim of selling this side of Christmas, or just wait until spring when it will be easier to sell - either way, something else would be incoming and we’d sell my partner’s trusty Kia Rio to get down to two cars.
Going to be doing the same next June when SWMBO lease is up, down from 3 to 2 so the zed may go and get one decent car and one rust bucket for me - keep the Corsa

I have done less than 800 miles in the zed since 21st July when I serviced and MOT'd it, such a waste really, the other option is to keep and get her a £15k car with four seats and use the Corsa as P/X
Last edited by Ole gits rule on Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Used car market

Post by Nanu » Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:12 pm

For me I never take any notice of purchase or sale prices. Every negotiation starts and ends with the same question, what is the cost to change?

What figures they put on the bill of sale or any other documentation to me is irrelevant. All I want to know is how much is coming out of my bank account.
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Used car market

Post by Pondrew » Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:16 pm

Nanu wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:12 pm For me I never take any notice of purchase or sale prices. Every negotiation starts and ends with the same question, what is the cost to change?
Which is fine; but in my case I am not looking at 'trading' it, just selling, so the figures are real and quite scary TBH.

I won't sell it on those numbers, though. It's a great car and I like it a lot, just not being used really.
There is something quite depressing about watching a car, sat in my garage without putting any miles on it, losing around £200 a week. :(

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Used car market

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:12 pm

It's a shame you seem to have lost on the 440i, but you did OK with its predecessor!

Maybe you need to get some value out of it by using it? :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Used car market

Post by ronk » Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:07 pm

Last year I toyed with a new G29
Cost to change circa £25k - This year £38k

It doesn’t take much effort to work out how much it’s cost /mile in depreciation alone given the 2500 ish miles this last year!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Used car market

Post by Pondrew » Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:20 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:12 pm It's a shame you seem to have lost on the 440i, but you did OK with its predecessor!

Maybe you need to get some value out of it by using it?
The predecessor was the B3 Alpina, Iain. I made a big mistake by selling that too cheap, thinking it wasn't particularly sought-after. I was wrong!

I don't really go anywhere anymore; if I go fishing I use the Mazda, as it's the only car that will carry the gear and doesn't bottom out on the rough tracks. If I go to the shops I use whichever car is nearest (which is never the 440 as it is in the garage). I know I have problems that many people would love and not really problems at all in the grand scheme. :)

I am so stupid that I am now thinking of selling the 440 at a massive loss and buying an M6 (again), as they are dropping values like a stone too! :roll:

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Used car market

Post by ronk » Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:28 pm

I think sometimes you just have to be happy and contented!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Used car market

Post by MikeyH » Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:42 pm

This is why I never spend more than £7000.00 on a car, that way it never loses too much money and I can always pay cash. I never worry about making hp payments, okay, the cars are not the latest models but so what. One advantage of living in the southwest is that most of us own older cars so no keeping up with the Jones.
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

mgrlane

Used car market

Post by mgrlane » Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:17 am

Pondrew, How does the 440 compare to say the V8 M3 in terms of P/L in that time frame?

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Used car market

Post by Pondrew » Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:18 am

mgrlane wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:17 am Pondrew, How does the 440 compare to say the V8 M3 in terms of P/L in that time frame?
I have no idea as haven't been looking at E9x M3s. I know they were silly expensive a year ago. From what I've seen most 'M' cars tend to hold value better than the rest of the range (with the exception of the M6) but of course they were dearer to start with..

The point of this thread was to highlight how quickly things have changed in the market, not really to bemoan how much money I'm losing. :)

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold