Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Martyn's Z4M Coupe

"M" Specific discussion
Martyn

Martyn's Z4M Coupe

Post by Martyn » Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:47 pm

I guess it's about time I created my own thread for the development of my Z4M.

Anyway, I picked up a cheap 07 Coupe from a fellow forum member in Sept 2021 knowing I'd have a bit of work to do.

The pics below were the sellers:

Once I got the car home I set about working through some of the issues.

The car felt flat as a pancake, despite having proof of an Evolve tune with a dyno printout showing 347bhp so I backed up the current tune.

And then flashed the car back to stock whilst updating the software, cleared the adaptations and put a couple of tanks of vpower through it.

I also did a vanos test, and that passed with flying colours.

Next up was an engine bay clean.

Then fitting of an Eventuri

I really dislike the ride of the car so I knew I'd be changing the suspension sooner rather than later so up on the Quickjacks it went.

2 cracked springs, standard!

Knackered exhaust clamps, standard!

And of course, corroded rear brake lines.

I made up some new rear lines, and ordered some braided lines to go on at a later date.

And on went a B12 kit.

And some Atomic CSL reps, with PS4S from BM Autosport.

Next my attention turned to the exhaust tips. The stock tips were looking pretty sorry for themselves, so I ordered some slash cut tips Burkhart Engineering.

Off the bumper came, and on went the tips.

At this point, I was contemplating what to do with reagard to the front brakes, the discs were looking pretty tired so I thought I may as well upgrade.

I ordered a FreakyParts Brembo setup that utilises the larger E9x M3 front discs and Brembo calipers.

Unfortunately the offset of the discs meant that they'd hit the lower wishbone :(

I spoke to FreakyParts and they swapped the caliper carriers out for me so I could run the stock Z4M / CSL discs.

A week or so later the replacement carriers arrived so I threw the setup on with the old discs, knowing full well I'd be ordered new discs soon anyway.

My attention then turned back to the suspension, I was never overly happy with the B12 kit so I moved it on and purchased a set of BC coilovers.

These suit me a little better given that I can soften them up when needed.

As part of my software development I wanted to see how well the car would run on AlphaN, so I made myself an IAT bung that would sit in place of the MAF and tuned the ECU to suit. Using the IAT sensor in place of the bung meant I could easily switch back and forth between MAF and AlphaN whilst retaing the Eventuri.

I also used this setup whilst making a PNP loom for my MaxxECU standalone ECU

I tested the setup using Audi R8 coils, which work great, however they foul the crank case oil seperator so I had to wire in some IGBTs to run the stock coils :(

Here you can see the car idling on the MaxxECU setup.

https://www.ecuworx.co.uk/wp-content/up ... G_0319.mp4

After getting the car dialled in nicely on both the stock ECU and the MaxxECU I picked up a GSR airbox.

It took a bit of modifying to fit the Z4 but nothing a hacksaw won't fix :)

On it goes

I wasn't entirely happy with how restricted the air feed was with the stock GSR snorkle, so I designed and 3d printed my own.

Whilst waiting for it to print I switched out the belts, front discs, fitted new plugs and coilpacks.

Before fitting the new plugs I gave the car a quick compression test.

The engine has great compression across all 6 which was nice.

My attention then turned to the exhaust, I wanted a set of decats for the car but refuse to pay silly money, so I made my own out of a set of Scorpion E46 M3 decats.

E46 M3 decats vs Z4M cats

After a bit of chopping, and welding I came up with this

Next up was carbon splitter to give the front a little more agression.

Then this arrived:

Part of a VF570 kit, from an E46 M3. I admit I paid over the odds considering how many bits were missing but its not like these kits come up every day.

I set about sourcing the missing parts and finally had everything I needed. I ditched the injectors it that came with the kit and opted for some new 997 turbo injectors. I also swapped out all the hoses, filter, clips and anything that looked tired, along with fitting a 2.62" pulley to the supercharger.

The only thing missing now was the charge cooler pre-rad mounts. I knocked up a design and 3d printed myself some in carbon fibre reinforced filament.

I checked it would work and test fitted the pre-rad to the car.

The rest of the kit went on over a series of evenings, I added a larger 3L tank to act as reservoir for the charge cooler circuit and to add a little more capacity and also sleeved the charge cooler lines with fire proof insulation to keep the water being heated by the exhaust manifold.

I also fitted a catch can, to keep the SC inlet nice and clean.

Next up, was fitting 2x new primary O2 sensors, as the original ones would be well passed their best now.

Thankfully they came out without too much drama.

The car pulls very well, making around 12.5psi at 8K. Hopefully I'll get it on the dyno soon!

-Tom-

Martyn's Z4M Coupe

Post by -Tom- » Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:54 pm

What a build, and a great thread to read :thumbsup:
-Z4 M Coupe, Silver Grey, Imola Red Nappa, carbon leather, CSLs, SuperSprint Race, Track Mode Enabled
-Tesla M3 LR

Previous - 3.0 si sport roadster, Silver Grey with Oregon Pearl Grey leather, Piano black, EIbach Pro, Stubby

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Martyn's Z4M Coupe

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:59 pm

That's a great write up Martyn, and some great modifications/improvements made. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

grannyknot

Martyn's Z4M Coupe

Post by grannyknot » Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:38 pm

Beautiful work, great mods, I got to drive a Z4MC with a G power SC a few weeks back, astonishing power.
Looking forward to the dyno results.
2008 E86 M coupe
Toronto, Ontario

Martyn

Martyn's Z4M Coupe

Post by Martyn » Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:46 pm

Thanks guys. There's loads I've probably forgotten to include to be honest!

I did an oil change last weekend and changed the engine and transmission mounts too as they were starting to look tired.

smorris_12

Martyn's Z4M Coupe

Post by smorris_12 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:48 pm

Nice prints! Which printer?
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Martyn's Z4M Coupe

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:50 pm

My engine mounts looked like yours when I had them changed last year while my bearing shells were being replaced!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

maupineda

Martyn's Z4M Coupe

Post by maupineda » Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:48 pm

Very revealing tread as in I was not aware you can run Vanos Test from within INPA, i have used ISTA. Also, what are your findings between MAF amd Alpha-N. Which one you fill is best for street OEM +. Eventury and MAF or CSL & Alpha-N

Argenta

Martyn's Z4M Coupe

Post by Argenta » Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:07 am

I don't think you can visually see on the mounts their actual condition. Nice car tho! :)
I run the same calipers, not overly impressed yet (but they do look good).
Whats your bhp after the remap?

Barty

Martyn's Z4M Coupe

Post by Barty » Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:15 am

Great mods and dito write up Martyn! :thumbsup:
Four Alfa's and a Ducati later, I've turned to the dark side...
"Drive German, wear Italian, kiss French"

Z4: Tiefgrüen Metallic E86 3.0Si / Insta @bartsbuilds

Ed Doe

Martyn's Z4M Coupe

Post by Ed Doe » Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:16 am

Very cool thread this - lovely car Martyn!
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

flimper
Lifer
Lifer

Martyn's Z4M Coupe

Post by flimper » Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:42 am

Nice work sir :thumbsup:
Piano black & black extended leather. Power mirrors, tinted glass, PDC, Prof hi-fi, CD, retro-fit cruise

spammy

Martyn's Z4M Coupe

Post by spammy » Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:53 am

Nice work mate you've nearly rebuilt it. nice to know there's someone local who knows what they're doing I'm just down the road from Poole always handy to know :thumbsup:

Martyn

Martyn's Z4M Coupe

Post by Martyn » Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:32 pm

smorris_12 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:48 pm Nice prints! Which printer?
Prusa MK3S+
Mr Tidy wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:50 pm My engine mounts looked like yours when I had them changed last year while my bearing shells were being replaced!
Yeah the certainly looked tired.
maupineda wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:48 pm Very revealing tread as in I was not aware you can run Vanos Test from within INPA, i have used ISTA. Also, what are your findings between MAF amd Alpha-N. Which one you fill is best for street OEM +. Eventury and MAF or CSL & Alpha-N
Yeah, that's one of the advantages of the MSS70 over the MSS54 in the E46 M3.

Both tunes ran faultlessly to be honest.

The Eventuri is very well designed and flows great, in fact on my cammed E46 M3 I made more peak power (380BHP) with the Eventuri setup than I did with an Evolve CSL airbox (374BHP), both were dyno tuned on AReeve's dyno back to back by myself using an AEM Infinity standalone ECU.

With Eventuri

With Evolve CSL Airbox and re-tune.

More info on my old E46 M3 if you're bored :)

https://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/threads/ ... m3.235704/
Argenta wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:07 am I don't think you can visually see on the mounts their actual condition. Nice car tho! :)
I run the same calipers, not overly impressed yet (but they do look good).
Whats your bhp after the remap?
I could see the rubber was starting to perish, that was good enough for me.

What pads are you running? I'm running PBS Pro Race and they seem a good step up from the stock setup.

Never made it to the dyno unfortunately but my E46 M3 made 362bhp with an Eventuri and my own tune.

Barty wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:15 am Great mods and dito write up Martyn! :thumbsup:
Ed Doe wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:16 am Very cool thread this - lovely car Martyn!
flimper wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:42 am Nice work sir :thumbsup:
spammy wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:53 am Nice work mate you've nearly rebuilt it. nice to know there's someone local who knows what they're doing I'm just down the road from Poole always handy to know :thumbsup:
Thanks all :thumbsup:
Last edited by Martyn on Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ed Doe

Martyn's Z4M Coupe

Post by Ed Doe » Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:55 pm

Martyn wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:47 pm Never made it to the dyno unfortunately but my E46 M3 made 362bhp with an Eventuri and my own tune.
Was that just a tune and eventuri? Surprised, I always thought there was bugger-all room for up gains without cams on the s54!
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(