Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Hello from Somerset.

First port of call for new members
FunkyDung

Hello from Somerset.

Post by FunkyDung » Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:56 pm

Hi, just joined as I’m looking to get a Z4. I’m after a cheap convertable for weekends etc. and having considered all the usual suspects, I seem to like the look of the Z4 the most. Any advice would be great? :driving:

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Hello from Somerset.

Post by Ole gits rule » Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:14 pm

hello and welcome, advice will depend on budget but try and get the 6 pot is a good start

Good luck with the search
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Hello from Somerset.

Post by buzyg » Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:33 pm

Welcome to the forum. :) A few for sale on here worth a look.

FunkyDung

Hello from Somerset.

Post by FunkyDung » Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:39 pm

Budget wise is as cheap as I can get really! Obviously I don’t want a shed? Definitely want a 6 pot.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Hello from Somerset.

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:13 pm

Welcome to the forum and good luck finding the right one. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Hello from Somerset.

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:25 pm

FunkyDung wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:39 pm Budget wise is as cheap as I can get really! Obviously I don’t want a shed? Definitely want a 6 pot.
Welcome aboard.
From experience I know the earlier M54 6-pot engine, in either 2.2, 2.5 or 3.0 guise, will run for ever if looked after.
Body panels are relatively easy to find and easy to swap.
I'd be looking for good mechanical history, no dodgy advisories on suspension and brakes etc.
So I'd think mechanicals first and possibly live with the odd tatty panel if you have to. Plenty of good ones crop up on here to swap as you go along.
I understand you want cheap, but really you could do with throwing a figure in here so we can help you better.
At the end of the market you'll be viewing I'd seriously suggest getting an experienced owner to look over any car you like the look of too.
If you read through the forum a bit you'll find there are a few of us who can help out with stuff. My speciality is mechanicals and engine stuff; others can do all the fancy electronic bits too.
So, for example, you find a car that needs new shocks, or a vanos overhaul, but apart from that ticks all your boxes. You use dealer quotes to haggle the price down, then find a friendly forum member who'll do the work for a lot less.
You've made the right first move by signing up here. Please use the infinite resources of this forum to the full and I'm sure you'll end up with a decent motor and still in budget.
Good luck with your search.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

FunkyDung

Hello from Somerset.

Post by FunkyDung » Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:35 pm

My budget is probably around 3k but could go more if the right one came up? Ideally want to spend as little as possible. Cheers for the advice, much appreciated.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Hello from Somerset.

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:38 pm

FunkyDung wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:35 pm My budget is probably around 3k but could go more if the right one came up? Ideally want to spend as little as possible. Cheers for the advice, much appreciated.
Well that gives us something to work with. :thumbsup:

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Hello from Somerset.

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:53 pm

smorris_12

Hello from Somerset.

Post by smorris_12 » Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:19 pm

The trouble with the cheap ones in Somerset is that they're all in Bristol and they look a complete state!!!

However, the only thing that can't sensibly be cured in a 20 year old BMW is rust. And Z4s seem pretty hardy. So, if you don't mind a project, you can probably buy one blind. I run a selection of (by forum standard) ancient, leggy BMWs on a maintenance budget of about 36p and they're fine. But I can wield spanners and use INPA which helps.
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Hello from Somerset.

Post by MikeyH » Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:39 pm

Welcome to the forum, I hope you find the car you want. I bought mine on here exactly 1 year today and I love it. :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Hello from Somerset.

Post by Pondrew » Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:16 pm

viewtopic.php?t=137088

Looks exactly what the OP is after.
What else do you want for £2,500?
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Hello from Somerset.

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:18 pm

Pondrew wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:16 pm viewtopic.php?t=137088

Looks exactly what the OP is after.
What else do you want for £2,500?
Yup I linked him to it. Ideal car for him I reckon.

FunkyDung

Hello from Somerset.

Post by FunkyDung » Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:47 pm

Cheers guys, I have enquired about this.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Hello from Somerset.

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:19 pm

FunkyDung wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:47 pm Cheers guys, I have enquired about this.
Hope it suits you both.