Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Best, cheapest place, to buy passenger headlight.

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
creativeliberty1776

Post by creativeliberty1776 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:48 pm

As the title says, I have condensation in my front Passenger head light, I don't really want used and am ok with aftermarket stuff, what is the consensus on the forum as to where the best place to get head lights are?
Thank you in Advance.
Liberty,

2003 BMW Z4 3.0 I inline 6 manual rag top
20220927_190726.jpg
20220927_190726.jpg (153.32 KiB) Viewed 599 times

pungo

Post by pungo » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:09 pm

Why not fix the leak or are there other problems with the headlight?
It's common for the rubber seal on the back access panel to leak after some aging.
Many people replace the rear access panel which has a new seal and the condensation stops.

creativeliberty1776

Post by creativeliberty1776 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:21 pm

pungo wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:09 pm Why not fix the leak or are there other problems with the headlight?
It's common for the rubber seal on the back access panel to leak after some aging.
Many people replace the rear access panel which has a new seal and the condensation stops.

I didnt know that was possible , any body have a write up with pictures? seems simply enough, no other issue with head lights. Thank you. :)

parabolica

Post by parabolica » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:24 pm

If it’s just condensation and the unit itself isn’t otherwise damaged or deteriorating, I would fix it. If it’s a lot of moisture I’d recommend removing the light from the car (pretty easy to do), drain it out, let it dry in a warm room, fit new rear seals and cover and that’s job done. If it’s just a little bit of moisture you might get away with drying it with a heat gun or hairdryer whilst the light is on the car, but letting the unit interior settle to normal temp is key before fitting the new seal and cover.

To remove the light, you need to loosen off the front bumper and undo the 4 bolts holding the light on. Just unplug the wiring harness and out it comes.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:28 pm

Here's a link to a thread that may help, although it doesn't detail removing the access panel and replacing the seal.

viewtopic.php?t=53126

I think doing that should be pretty obvious once you've got the wheel out of the way!

And welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy » Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:03 am

2 new rear OEM headlight covers and a large packet of moisture wicking silica (sold on Amazon) in each headlight fixed my reoccurring leaks, at least so far. I figured go “belts and suspenders,” as I was sick of water buildup in my headlights. It’s a lot easier than replacing the whole headlight.
2007 3.0SI Roadster leather/auto/Carver-Logic7
stereo system/xenons/sport/108s/ LeatherZ MK4 armrest/ Ultimate
Cupholders/ GROM BMW Mini 98-06 trunk USB Android iPhone car integration adapter kit

R.I.P. Dice Mediabridge 1500. 2010-2023.

creativeliberty1776

Post by creativeliberty1776 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:00 am

8) thank you for the advice sir.. I will try it and report back with photos .. Thank you

creativeliberty1776

Post by creativeliberty1776 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:02 am

creativeliberty1776 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:21 pm
pungo wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:09 pm Why not fix the leak or are there other problems with the headlight?

I didnt know that was possible , any body have a write up with pictures? seems simply enough, no other issue with head lights. Thank you. :)
you're a gentleman and a scholar, as you and other gurus have pointed out I may be able to save existing light... Thank you so much for you input - Liberty ...

creativeliberty1776

Post by creativeliberty1776 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:04 am

parabolica wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:24 pm If it’s just condensation and the unit itself isn’t otherwise damaged or deteriorating, I would fix it. If it’s a lot of moisture I’d recommend removing the light from the car (pretty easy to do), drain it out, let it dry in a warm room, fit new rear seals and cover and that’s job done. If it’s just a little bit of moisture you might get away with drying it with a heat gun or hairdryer whilst the light is on the car, but letting the unit interior settle to normal temp is key before fitting the new seal and cover.

To remove the light, you need to loosen off the front bumper and undo the 4 bolts holding the light on. Just unplug the wiring harness and out it comes.
you're a gentleman and a scholar, as you and other gurus have pointed out I may be able to save existing light... Thank you so much for you input - Liberty ...

Zulu4

Post by Zulu4 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:49 pm

wiseguy wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:03 am 2 new rear OEM headlight covers and a large packet of moisture wicking silica (sold on Amazon) in each headlight fixed my reoccurring leaks, at least so far. I figured go “belts and suspenders,” as I was sick of water buildup in my headlights. It’s a lot easier than replacing the whole headlight.
If the silica gel escapes from the packet it will destroy the chromed plastic inside the headlight.
I found out the hard way on another car :oops:
2007 3.0si Auto Sport Roadster. Whippy.
Previous:
2003 3.0i SE Roadster. Whippy.

Robster68

Post by Robster68 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:17 pm

Try to swap the light seals over first,passenger side with drivers side ,it worked for me.

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy » Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:33 am

Zulu4 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:49 pm
wiseguy wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:03 am 2 new rear OEM headlight covers and a large packet of moisture wicking silica (sold on Amazon) in each headlight fixed my reoccurring leaks, at least so far. I figured go “belts and suspenders,” as I was sick of water buildup in my headlights. It’s a lot easier than replacing the whole headlight.
If the silica gel escapes from the packet it will destroy the chromed plastic inside the headlight.
I found out the hard way on another car :oops:
I'll roll the dice. I am so sick of headlight problems with this car. I've owned it since it was 3 years old. Many, many headlight Bulbs have burned out. Repeated condensation build ups. 2 ballasts replaced. and I currently have a headlight out, again. The bulb and igniter work (I Swapped them to test) so I guess its the ballast, AGAIN. BMW made these headlights in the most idiotic, problem prone way possible. They should have sealed them and been done with it. But that doesn't pad their pockets with repairs. BMW OEM was $500 for the ballast last time I had it replaced (not including labor). I may try a 3rd party on Amazon for less than $150 and install it myself.
2007 3.0SI Roadster leather/auto/Carver-Logic7
stereo system/xenons/sport/108s/ LeatherZ MK4 armrest/ Ultimate
Cupholders/ GROM BMW Mini 98-06 trunk USB Android iPhone car integration adapter kit

R.I.P. Dice Mediabridge 1500. 2010-2023.