Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4Coupe 3.0si Track car mods

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Z4MCSL`

Post by Z4MCSL` » Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:44 pm

Hi all,

Please let me know if there is a better place to post this.

So I am finally going to bite the bullet and have a go at taking my z4 Coupe on track - its never going to become a dedicated track car - I have a 182 stripped out for that which from experience seems to be a lot quicker than a 3.0si - even in a straight line. But I want to give it a go mainly to dip my toe into RWD

Plan currently is:

Pads - thinking NOT EBC, so either Pagid or probably Carbon Lorraines
Brake fluid -

Set of alloys with some r888r or similar and smaller 17 inch size.

I want alloys because I figure smaller lightweight alloys will make a difference (it really did on my clio)

So the main questions are:

Advice on wheels? - I am very happy with the OZ Ultralegerra on my clio so currently looking at the same wheels again
Advice on tyres - I love the R888Rs on my clio - any reason not to get these?
Set up - I get the impression that a square set up would be better for track than a wider rear, any opinions on this?

Any other simple basic mods that are worth looking at?

Thanks

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:13 pm

Here's a link to Liam's thread about his Coupe that he races:- viewtopic.php?t=112593&hilit=Liam

And one from a Roadster owner in the USA who tracks his car:- viewtopic.php?t=126792&hilit=Wursle

And a link to another Coupe owners track day car thread:- viewtopic.php?t=136671&hilit=track+car

Hope they are of some use, and maybe one of them will see your post or you can send them a Private Message. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

NeilP

Post by NeilP » Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:41 am

Z4MCSL` wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:44 pm Advice on wheels? - I am very happy with the OZ Ultralegerra on my clio so currently looking at the same wheels again
Advice on tyres - I love the R888Rs on my clio - any reason not to get these?
Set up - I get the impression that a square set up would be better for track than a wider rear, any opinions on this?

Any other simple basic mods that are worth looking at?
Wheels: Ultralegerra's are on my wishlist! Currently running a set of Team Dynamic Pro Race 1.2 17x9 et35 square. I did need a 10mm spacer on the front to clear my coilovers.

Tyres: Zero experience with R888Rs, but running NS2R's and am very happy with them. The only challenge I've had is being able to run a 255 square so had to downsize the fronts to 235/45 purely for rubbing related issues given the ride height. I did run 255 square when I had these wheels on my roadster, but that never got to see the track.

Set up: Can't comment on this as above, but am running the e46 M3 CSL geo and car feels great. I've not experimented with other settings so don't have much to compare against.

As for the rest of it, I'm running a set of BC BR coil-overs (not the best, but they get the job done) alongside a set of H&R roll bars and an ultra racing front strut brace, rear lower A brace, and a Weichers rear strut brace

ImageKRF_3429 by Track Obsession, on Flickr

ImageKRF_3433 by Track Obsession, on Flickr

ImageKRF_4164 by Track Obsession, on Flickr

ImageKRF_1993 by Track Obsession, on Flickr

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:25 pm

Personally I'd do brake fluid and spend the rest on an lsd. Expensive but honestly the best mod I ever did to mine back in the day.

In my opinion, certainly to start with I wouldn't bother upgrading brakes beyond fresh fluid, or tyres - I've tracked mine on standard discs and pads and found they held up pretty well, and if you're on normal road tyres the grip levels are lower meaning its easier on brakes and the car will move around more at lower speeds so you can enjoy it.

I realise if you're a regular track goer you may want more grip and to go chasing laptimes, but unless you're throwing the kitchen sink at the rest of the car (coilovers, polybushes, big brakes, tyres blah blah) you're better off enjoying it in more standard form which will help you choose your next mods. :thumbsup:
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

Beesza

Post by Beesza » Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:40 pm

NeilP wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:41 am
ImageKRF_4164 by Track Obsession, on Flickr
@NeilP do I see brake duct inlets in your bumper? I also track my Z4C and thinking of making some after having one of my front tyres burp all of its air under had cornering (running 34psi!). I think cooling the brakes will help the tyres. What duct diameter have you used?