Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

My experience with BC coilovers on a Z4MR

"M" Specific discussion
plenty

Post by plenty » Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:42 am

There's a lot of coverage given to suspension options such as the Bilstein and Eibach strut/spring kit, and KWs, but relatively little to BC coilovers so I thought I post my experience for others considering their options for upgrading handling.

I'd had my eye on the Z4M for many years but was always put off by reports of wayward handling. My recent car history includes the likes of a Lotus Evora and a Megane R26.R - I like light, precise cars with a high degree of tactility, and always assumed a Z4M was the complete opposite.

However the lure of the S54 was too much and when a Z4MR came up for sale in April that ticked all of the right boxes I dived in with an impulse purchase. It was quickly apparent that more or less everything I had been led to believe was true. On stock suspension the car is a fine cruiser and perfectly serviceable up until about 7/10ths. Push harder and the experience degrades, with the well-documented sensation of the front and rear ends being disconnected magnified by the seating position a long way away from the front axle.

I like to know exactly what the front axle is doing and the OEM setup didn't give me confidence when pushing on. Meanwhile the rear was unforgiving over bumpy lanes, bouncing around a fair bit. It was obvious that the rear was too harshly sprung and the front too soft.

Looking into options KWs and Bilstein B16s are well reviewed and I have a good experience with B16s fitted to my Impreza, but they and KWs are three times the prices of BCs. The Bilstein Pro-Kit was ruled out right away as I did not want to lower the car (ground clearance is important for UK roads, plus I don't like how lowering messes with geometry unless you install supporting mods such as roll-centre adjustment track-rods).

Furthermore I wanted the ride height adjustability offered by coilovers to change the OEM stance from negative rake (nose up) to slightly positive rake (nose down), which has the effect of reducing nose lift on hard acceleration as well as reducing understeer by moving the roll centre backwards, and allowing you to run softer springs at the rear.

BCs get mixed reviews but I run them successfully on my Clio, and I managed to obtain a brand-new set on this forum for a very good price (the entry-level, non-digressive BR versions). Installation was straightforward thanks to the many excellent guides available online. Having owned an E39 M5 for 9 years I was reminded what a pleasure it is to spanner BMWs of this vintage: good-quality, non-rusted fastenings and sensible designs made for taking apart. A far cry from say some French models designed to confound the amateur mechanic.

At the same time as installing the BCs I took the opportunity to put in new wishbones, lollipops, inner and outer track-ends, Powerflex RTABs and trailing-arm upper ball joints. I did all of this in one go so can't comment on the individual impact of each change.

I took a moment to bask in the afterglow of shiny new bits. I'll let the pics tell the story (taken before ride-height adjustments were made). Before you ask, the arch wet patches are fresh ACF-50 which I applied before fitting coilover covers.

I left things a little late getting the work done, with a road trip looming. Conventional wisdom says 100-200 miles to allow suspension to settle before checking ride height. I only managed about 20. Ride height set to 600mm rear (about 5mm higher than OEM) and 595mm front (10mm lower than OEM), measured lower rim edge to arch. Alignment was done the day before I set off for Plymouth to catch the Brittany Ferry to Santander.

Caster is not shown on the reading, but is approximately 6.5 degrees each side. More camber is available via the BC top mounts but I decided to go close to OEM camber settings to begin with.

Cue 2,500 miles most of which were making very good progress on the best roads in Iberia, ergo the world. This is a regular trip that I've been doing for many years with a group of other keen drivers, in a variety of machinery. It was immediately obvious that the BCs (on 6 kgs F / 10 kgs R spring rates) had cured the front-rear disconnect. The car immediately felt more organic and more fluid. Damper settings front and rear right in the middle of the 30-click BC adjustment felt good, but on ultra-smooth Iberian roads I felt confident to stiffen the fronts and ended up using five clicks from full hard. I feel the front end would benefit from being stiffer still, and may look into swapping out the 6 kgs springs to 8 kgs (you can typically go +/- 2 kgs on coilovers without needing to re-valve the damping). Rear felt good on the default middle setting and most of the bounciness on imperfect surfaces had gone, albeit sitting so close to the rear axle you'll always feel the bumps.

Having been accustomed to more 'accessible' machinery that you can get in and drive fast right away it was clear that the Z4MR (for me) was not that kind of car, even with the revised suspension. It took me a couple of days to get properly into the groove. You can't throw a Z4 into a bend like a hot hatch and neither can you floor it before the apex like the LSD-equipped Clio and the GC8 Impreza I also own. The front end is still not as confidence-inspiring as I would like, and I am looking into strut braces which I believe may help, but it's much better now than stock. And if you take a leap of faith, push past the slight vagueness, the front grips hard and doesn't let go. The limits (on 255 rears and 225 front) are much higher than you expect, at least on warm, dry and ultra-grippy Iberian tarmac.

It's still more GT than sports car and it's still a heavy brute IMO, but most importantly, I have gained a fluidity that is absent from the OEM setup. Rather than discouraging you from pushing hard, my car now encourages.

All in all I'm very happy with the BCs, especially at their price point. The only thing I'd do differently is specify harder front springs than the 6 kgs items that came with my set. After my trip the rear suspension seems to have settled another 5 mm or so and I'll be sorting that (easy job thanks to the BC adjustable spring perches). I may try adding front camber to see if that helps further reduce the front-end vagueness.

Bear in mind that if you own a non-///M E85 that the front coilovers have different mounting points and it may not be possible to have the same ride-height adjustment on the front. I don't know for sure, but was chatting with a chap on Facebook who thinks that there may not be enough adjustment on the non-///M E85 BC front coilover to achieve OEM ride height, so caveat emptor if that's important to you. No problem at all on the ///M version - in fact you could go considerably higher than OEM if desired.

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:14 pm

Interesting read,and good review on the BC coilovers.
As you say,more info on kw v3b and Bilstein.

I agree with you on the fact that you can't chuck the z4m into a bend as much as some hot hatches,etc, especially AWD Audi's etc,for obvious reasons,but I've always found Standard suspension as okay,and , although it has its limits,when pushing on, I have learned to drive round those foibles,so to speak,and make it work, lol. (In my driving style).
I know many who skate it on Standard suspension,and who have changed it for Coilovers etc.
I like it on Standard suspension, although in the future,I have the intention to Renew it,as it's done around 68k,of mainly spirited driving....hence my Dad kema.
Spend alot on Standard spring's and stuff from BMW,Or Change.
The fact this BC set up allows Standard ride height,sounds good to me.

Nice Review :thumbsup:
Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)

grannyknot

Post by grannyknot » Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:15 pm

Good to hear, BC have a big following in other markets but I've haven't heard anything about BC/Z4.
So I guess you have the Swift springs, 6KG front, 8kg rear?
Thanks
2008 E86 M coupe
Toronto, Ontario

TheDan

Post by TheDan » Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:48 pm

This is a great write up because I too have been trying to decide on a reasonably priced coilover set for my Z4 and am looking at BC Racing. I'm thinking of requesting a non-standard 8kg front, 10kg rear which your write up has cemented.

Gregory_tolson

Post by Gregory_tolson » Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:12 pm

I was debating purchasing the BC coilovers over the B6 Bilstein with M sport suspension springs. I needed new springs since my rear stock springs were cracked. Though the one thing that stopped me was hearing about the front strut towers not being able to support constant beatings from stiff struts. Those BC coilovers have their own mounts that look like they have no rubber in them. I was very close to getting them because i could not find inexpensive M-sport springs, BMW original equipment per spring was like $350. Luckily Lesjofors sold very cheap M-sport springs brand new so i went that route. Took forever to get the B6 struts and shocks since covid screwed up bilstein's supply chain. hopefully the BMW strut towers are much stronger than all the forums have mentioned about them.

plenty

Post by plenty » Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:26 pm

craig3.2 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:14 pm I have learned to drive round those foibles,so to speak,and make it work, lol. (In my driving style).
Yes - I really enjoy the fact that the Z4 isn't as easy to drive fast as some of my other cars, and requires me to use a different style.
grannyknot wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:15 pm So I guess you have the Swift springs, 6KG front, 8kg rear?
BC branded springs, 6 kgs front / 10 kgs rear but any other springs of a similar size can be used. 6/10 is the default spring rate supplied with the kit but you can specify different ones.
Gregory_tolson wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:12 pm Though the one thing that stopped me was hearing about the front strut towers not being able to support constant beatings from stiff struts.
I share these concerns and fitted E46 front strut reinforcement plates 51717036781 which fit perfectly (the E36 versions do NOT fit the E85). As well as reinforcement plates for the rear towers. I am a fan of solid top mounts as they improve steering response, plus the BC top mounts have camber/caster adjustment.

wyshyvanuk

Post by wyshyvanuk » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:35 pm

Excellent review. Thank you!!

wspohn

Post by wspohn » Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:41 pm

I use BCR shocks on my Solstice coupe which is set up fairly stiff and runs more power than the Z4M and have been very happy with them. If I need new shocks on my Z4MC (may be awhile - I am at 50,000 km), they will be what I put on that too. You can order them with the stock setting springs or custom stiffness.
Vancouver BC, Canada
2007 Z4MC
2009 Solstice GXP coupe
1962 MGA Coupe
1956 MGA (rebody+re-engined)
1958 MGA Twin Cam race car
1972 Jensen Interceptor

RWDKurt

Post by RWDKurt » Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:21 pm

Another vote for BCs

I went for the 6/10 combi and currently run with 10 clicks front and rear, so probably softer than most.

Whilst I take the OP's point on ride height, I have mine sat a little lower (same as Eibach springs on OE dampers).

On bumpy North Yorkshire roads they are working far better than before - better damping over rough surfaces as well as better ride control. So faster and more comfortable.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:31 pm

Great right up. Learned a few things there. :thumbsup:

Wah

Post by Wah » Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:38 am

Thanks for this write-up.
Had my 06 Z4MR for nearly a year now.
Next big job will be a suspension refresh as coming up to 80k miles now.
No leaks or broken springs, just seems rather bouncy and wallowy when pushing on.
Not sure whether to go for all new MSport or Eibach springs/Bilstein shocks or coilovers?
Bushes all serviceable but guess will also need doing soon (OEM or Powerflex?)
Want to maintain ride height (UK potholes & speedbumps) and won't be tracking.
Any advice appreciated.

plenty

Post by plenty » Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:33 am

There is no downside to going the BC route unless you prefer to keep your car 100% OEM.

Eibach springs lower the car approx 20mm. With BCs you can run OEM ride height or higher, and as per my comments above the spring rates and damping quality are superior to OEM. That's with the entry-level BC BR product - I'm sure the inverted BC RM series are even better.

gr3mlin

Post by gr3mlin » Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:43 am

I’d also recommend BC coilovers :thumbsup: