Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

No sound from stereo when cold

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Toerman

Post by Toerman » Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:12 pm

Hello all!

I’ve been searching and searching but can not find anything.

I’ve got the top-hifi with the Carver amp and nav.
The problem I’m facing is that when under ~20C theres no sound coming from the speakers, the radio etc works. All i can hear is a ”thud” from the speakers when i turn the ignition on. After a few minutes, if i cycle the ignition, the sound comes on without any problems.

There has been no water in the trunk where the amp lives.

I don’t really know where to start, any ideas?

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:59 pm

Maybe someone replaced the op-amps on the Carver circuit board with tubes? They take a while to warm up.
Just an idea, albeit probably not a realistic one.
:lol:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Toerman

Post by Toerman » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:11 pm

Haha, if that was the cause I would for sure just live with it.

Ive had a Quick look the circuit boards in both the amp and head unit and have not seen any burnt components or cold solders.

horseless_carriage

Post by horseless_carriage » Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:26 pm

I don’t have any experience with this problem in particular, but two things come to mind.

Perhaps it’s a cold solder joint that only makes contact when warm. If you are competent with a soldering iron I would try just heating the pads up until they are molten and letting them solidify again. Especially the ones for the larger and more vibration prone components. This has fixed a few automotive electronics modules for me before

The other thing might be a connector on one of the modules or speakers. Have you had a chance to inspect those? Sometimes just reseating them can fix the problem, they can be a major pain to undo sometimes.
2008 BMW Z4 3.0i Convertible (e85 - US version)

Toerman

Post by Toerman » Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:33 pm

I actually had both the amp and the head unit apart and had a look for cold solders and saw a few that looked suspicious.
Maybe i should do all major joints to see if it helps.

Regarding the speakers / modules i have not looked into it. when they work all of them do and when not none of them do.
I don't know if there is a straight cable from the head unit all the way to the amp or if there is som junction or connector in between.

DMike

Post by DMike » Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:17 pm

Toerman wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:33 pm I actually had both the amp and the head unit apart and had a look for cold solders and saw a few that looked suspicious.
Maybe i should do all major joints to see if it helps.

Regarding the speakers / modules i have not looked into it. when they work all of them do and when not none of them do.
I don't know if there is a straight cable from the head unit all the way to the amp or if there is som junction or connector in between.
While checking solders, look for bulging capacitors as well (google "bulging capacitor" or "capacitor plaque" for sample images). Not really an expert on amps, but fixed a number of other circuit boards just by replacing capacitors exhibiting just a slight bulge.
2005 Z4 3.0i Sterling grey

Toerman

Post by Toerman » Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:34 pm

I’ll keep an eye out for bad caps!

Toerman

Post by Toerman » Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:34 am

Been through the HU and Amp and could not see anything obvious.

One new finding is that if i leave the ignition on for a few minutes and then cycle it the sound comes back on. No change in temperature nowhere.

NaweedMustafa

Post by NaweedMustafa » Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:51 am

Toerman wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:34 am One new finding is that if i leave the ignition on for a few minutes and then cycle it the sound comes back on. No change in temperature nowhere.
Did you manage to find a resoltuon for this issue?
Current: 2003 3.0is | Sterling Grey | Dream Red
Previous: Bicycle. Never owned a car before

Toerman

Post by Toerman » Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:31 pm

NaweedMustafa wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:51 am Did you manage to find a resoltuon for this issue?
No, I have not found my problem yet.
One thing i found is that i get an eeprom fault code when the system is not working. In the dsp that is.

Toerman

Post by Toerman » Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:32 pm

NaweedMustafa wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:51 am Did you manage to find a resoltuon for this issue?
No, I have not found my problem yet.
One thing i found is that i get an eeprom fault code when the system is not working. In the dsp that is.

NaweedMustafa

Post by NaweedMustafa » Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:50 pm

Toerman wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:32 pmeeprom
As in the module is not reachable? I also get that when I scan the car with ISTA. The DSP in the control tree is green. When I start the engine, and the audio cuts, DSP is not reachable. I really hope it's not something to do with the alternator.

Not sure about the others but, this only happens when the engine is running. With the engine turned off, the audio works flawlessly

Toerman

Post by Toerman » Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:07 pm

NaweedMustafa wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:50 pm
No, it is reachable, dont remember the exact code.
When a bit warmer Ill do Some more poking.

NaweedMustafa

Post by NaweedMustafa » Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:06 pm

Started doing some poking around as well. for the benefit of the others. I thought of waiting till the summer as well but it is harder to reproduce for me. works flawlessyly when its warm.

I was suspecting the GM5 module, as using the window switches recovers the audio but seems that is not the case. I isolated the GM5 module (unplugged everything), thought it was running great and then my tunes got cut. so that was a no go. My GM5 is a bit fauly, having that common unlock relay issue so thought it was a culprit.

While i was doing the above, i did notice 3 extra cigarette lighter chargers wired up to my auxillary, from the previous owner (hooray). was thinking of isolating that but before i noticed it existed, nothing was plugged into it. so it doesnt make electrical sense that it interferes with it.

This is rather frustrating to be honest. really hope this doesnt require a new top-HiFi DSP. not down to spend $400 at this moment in time. I honestly dont have any leads. Any other suggestions would be helpful