Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

BMW Digital Key (iPhone)

Discussing the current generation Z4
F1SpaceMonkey

BMW Digital Key (iPhone)

Post by F1SpaceMonkey » Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:51 am

I've set this up but it seems pointless and a gimmick so have resumed using the physical key.. I wanted to ditch carrying the key fob and make my keys less bulky in my pocket. Might be an idea to do if you lose your keys but still have your phone.

Cons:
Takes a while to set up (make sure you have both keys in the car)
Had to re-login to BMW profile in the car after the setup - resets car seat position until you log back in. But even then i don't think it returned the position to what was there before. Its taken me weeks to get in the position i like.
Although it stated it added my Apple Watch to use it didn't and the key didn't appear in the Apple wallet on the watch.
If you use this as the only way to open/start the car you lose the functionality the key fob has such as open the car instantly from a distance to light the the path and the smart button to turn the headlights on. You also lose the boot/trunk open button. (yes you can use the app but it takes 10/15 seconds due to the delay)
You cannot open/close the roof from the phone/digital key.
Once you have placed the iPhone on the charging pad to start there is a slight delay in starting the engine, its slower than the key. I found this annoying.

Pros:
A good backup if you lose your physical key.
User interface is good when setting it up.
works 5 hours after your phone battery runs out (haven't tested this though)

Anyone else found a Pro feature that is useful?

q96169we

BMW Digital Key (iPhone)

Post by q96169we » Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:59 am

The Pro feature for me is that I don't need to go back into the house to get the key to sit inside the car while I'm looking after my son who is play on the drive. I can just tap the watch to unlock the car

ori

BMW Digital Key (iPhone)

Post by ori » Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:12 am

I think the new ultra wide band will mean that you can keep your phone in your pocket and just walk up to the car.
Don’t know if BMW have implemented it yet, but they were going to before the chip issues kicked in.