Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Sudden 'extra' or 'opposite' steering!

CFSD

Post by CFSD » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:18 pm

Hi forum,

I have a problem with my 2012 e89 MSport 2.0 Auto that is pretty hair raising and at the same time apparently not diagnosable by my garage.
Here is the issue.

Occasionally (by that I mean at least once every trip these days)!!! The car will either suddenly add some additional steering or suddenly reduce the steering without any movement of the steering wheel. This can occur when going around a roundabout (sudden steer reduction - i.e. the car seems to want to straighten up) or when changing lanes on the motorway (car acts like a drunk wasp), or when on a steady bend (extra steer or reduced steer depending on direction).
It's more noticeable in Sport mode, but still there in Comfort. Can't be made to happen deliberately though, by going round and round a roundabout for example. It doesn't happen all the time either, I can't figure out a repeatable way to 'prove' to my garage it's happening...
It's a very sudden movement. There's no notching when turning the steering wheel.
The garage keep insisting there's nothing wrong, but there most certainly is and it's leading to me not trusting the car.

Any ideas out there?
No traction control light when 'wandering' on the motorway, but I have seen it flicker occasionally when it happens on a roundabout or gentle curve. Not driving aggressively or even in a lively way... in fact I'm now driving it like it's made of glass!

Cheers.

Deepseaskateboard

Post by Deepseaskateboard » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:29 pm

The only way you can rule out driver error is to have someone else drive the car for an extended test drive over a few days.
Have the garage drive the car to and from work for a week etc.

If someone else can replicate the issue, then you may be able to have them investigate further.

The other way is driving another e89, and see if that does it too.

Deepseaskateboard

Post by Deepseaskateboard » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:32 pm

The only other thing which comes to mind is the condition of your tyres.

How old are they, what brand, how much tread etc?

This may be the obvious jumping off point. The tyres can be worn on the inner edge, so best to get the car in the air for an inspection.

If you have 19” 326m wheels, do they have any cracks?

CFSD

Post by CFSD » Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:14 pm

I understand what you are saying, but I can be 99.9% certain it's not driver error. :)
The fronts are less than a year old, rears less than two with lots of tread. Bridgestone Potenza all around.
No cracks in the alloys and pressures are all correct and stable.

All the 'obvious' stuff has apparently been check by the garage which is why I'm trying the hive-mind of the forum. Just in case there could be a spark of a clue here.

Cheers.

Also. I've had the car a few years now. This is a new development.
Last edited by CFSD on Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:15 pm

CFSD wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:18 pm Any ideas out there?
No traction control light when 'wandering' on the motorway, but I have seen it flicker occasionally when it happens on a roundabout or gentle curve. Not driving aggressively or even in a lively way... in fact I'm now driving it like it's made of glass!

Cheers.
Is it definitely front steering and not the car rear steering, ie DSC playing up? The DSC will apply braking to each rear wheel independently if it thinks it is required. Try switching the DSC off and see if that stops it.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

CFSD

Post by CFSD » Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:17 pm

Pondrew wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:15 pm Is it definitely front steering and not the car rear steering, ie DSC playing up? The DSC will apply braking to each rear wheel independently if it thinks it is required. Try switching the DSC off and see if that stops it.
Good question, It's hard to tell really. I'll try that and see if it makes a difference. :)

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:29 pm

If it is one of the rear brakes 'grabbing' it could be as simple as sticky rear calipers.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:38 pm

Re the observation of it, do you have, or access too, a GoPro or similar?

Set up to cover steering wheel and forward view of the car and see if it can pick up the point it happens for you to evidence. The “ohhhh Sh!t” comment in the commentary will let the garage know the exact point of occurrence :D

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

B21
    Lifer
    Lifer
    Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:35 pm

The first port of call is a decent code reader…does the garage have one, know how to use one etc…

I would plug a decent diagnostics tool and see what the various systems..DSC and steering ECU are saying..

What year / model is the E89?
    We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard..

brillomaster

Post by brillomaster » Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:09 pm

i had something similar on an E85 a while back... car felt really weird through some corners, very unstable. Turned out a fairly major bush in the rear suspension had completely collapsed, so the suspension was moving around and was getting a lot of dynamic rear toe changes.

my other thoughts are tramlining - you running runflats?

or, something regarding power steering assistance - if assistance is lost, car will want to straighten up suddenly?

buzyg
    Legend
    Legend

Post by buzyg » Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:58 pm

I was having similar ideas as Brillomaster. Tyres or the power steering cutting out intermittently, I had that on a Nissan Primera, put the willies up me, until it was sorted. Would expect the second of those to through up an error code.

flybobbie
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:41 pm

Today going to work steering on my car felt strange.
    I always felt it took more effort left than right, like the null in centre was offset to right, yet car tracks straight.
    Felt like turning steering right it became vague, car felt like it slipped left.
    I became wary of hard acceleration in case it veered off road.
    I left it at work and came home in another vehicle.
    Tomorrow will run the code reader, can see real time steering angle and can reset steering possibly.
    I do wonder if a shock has failed.

flybobbie
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:46 am

Turns out it wasn't the car.

Pondrew
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:03 am

flybobbie wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:46 am Turns out it wasn't the car.
    What was it then?

F31 320i. Good car.
    E89 20i Now fully dried
    Mazda3 sold

flybobbie
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:34 pm

Well been to A and E (although name has been changed now?), seems like a trapped nerve in me.
    Checked for a stroke but all ok.

Think i'm getting a bit to old for clambering into the Zed.
    Perhaps i should open and close roof to get in :oops: