Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Driver window not going up - solved for now

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Neo5gen

Post by Neo5gen » Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:12 am

Want to share my experience and give back to the Z4 community for all the assistance thus far….

2004 Z4 with the drivers side window stuck in the down position. Last week the window was able to go up with the drivers side switch. I had to push and pull the switch several times before the window started to move. This week, I put the window down for a drive. Once at home, that is when the saga started. The window would not go up. Even after trying the up/down switch approach.

I could hear the switch behind the door card and similar sound near the GM5 area. So I thought it’s not the regulator and the motor is getting power. That was hypothesis for the next step.

Next thing was to search the internet. So what I found and results as follows

1) reset the switch - tried and did not fix.
2) check the regulator - too lazy so I deferred this method
3) test the switch by using jumper wire and simulate the up/down signal - I’m a novice, so I deferred this method too
4) purchase a brand new driver side switch - ok, I paid around $145 and still waiting for delivery

In the meantime, further research as I’m impatient . I started to look for how to open/close the top using the key fob. Well that was the lighting rod. I found a site that talked about opening and close of the top using the key inserted into the driver side door.

- If I turn it counter close-wise, the top and windows go down.
- If I turn it close-wise, the top and windows go up.

It gives credibility to my hypothesis that the window switch is most likely the culprit. It confirms the motor, actuator and most likely GM5 are not the issue.

Once I get the new switch and tested, I’ll confirm.

At least I could drive around the car with top up and windows closed here around the Chicagoland area. Temperature is staring to drop.

smorris_12

Post by smorris_12 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:12 pm

The door switches are simple membrane jobs and just need taking apart and the PCB and rubber pad giving a little clean. I suppose convertibles are more prone to gack and moisture getting into them as I've never had it with my 3er but my newer e86 was troublesome when I first had it.
Last edited by smorris_12 on Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

Neo5gen

Post by Neo5gen » Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:34 am

10/1 update. The replacement switch fixed my window issues and now my remote passenger side mirror works. DIY with the help of the Z4 community!