Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Hello From Miami, Florida

First port of call for new members
rmvpa007

Post by rmvpa007 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:26 pm

Hey Z4 crew. I found this forum looking for info on my 2011 Z4 3.0 dash cluster not working. Turned out to be fuse #74 that was blown, which was the advise I followed to check that tray under the glove box.

I picked up this Z4 as a salvage vehicle in Savannah, GA. It had some superficial front end damage (no frame damage). I replaced the headlights, upgraded to the sport front bumper, replaced the engine undertray, and various plastics on the front end and the hood and hood latch box and supports and got it painted by Extreme Auto Body in Miami. Just picked it up today and still have some work to finish the rebuild like replacing the airbags (driver knee and steering wheel AB and get the seat belt replaced as the pre-tensioner is locked and flash the SRS module.) That looks like its gonna run me $1500.

The Dash cluster wasn't working since I bought it, nor would the top go down. I guess when the dash fuse is blown it also prevents the top from retracting as the top interfaces with the dash. Gonna diagnose the check engine light and the adaptive headlight warning light is on and driver side main headlight isn't illuminating.

When I picked up the car I found the key in the trunk and the wire that runs to the starter popped out of the battery terminal. Once I reconnected it she started right up and ran fine.

I'm used to 4 cylinder Miatas so its nice to have a car with 75 extra hp (over the ND's) and 100 extra hp over the NC's even though its 750 lbs heavier. I was gonna fix and flip this car, but I'm getting spoiled by how well built and designed these cars are.

What do you guys think about rebuilt cars? Do you avoid them like the plague or enjoy taking on projects and saving tons of money on quality low mileage cars? BTW now that the dash is lit I see she only has 64,000 miles on the clock. Overall I'm very happy with this purchase and looking forward to many happy days cruising down the Florida Keys with the top down.
Attachments
65902341_Image_7.jpg
65902341_Image_7.jpg (39.76 KiB) Viewed 450 times
back.jpeg
back.jpeg (156.58 KiB) Viewed 450 times
front.jpeg
front.jpeg (108.82 KiB) Viewed 450 times
65902341_Image_9.jpg
65902341_Image_9.jpg (41.01 KiB) Viewed 450 times
65902341_Image_5.jpg
65902341_Image_5.jpg (29.49 KiB) Viewed 450 times

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:52 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum. That's a great introduction too, complete with photos. :thumbsup:

Z4s seem to be addictive (for me anyway) and the N52 engine is a gem - a straight 6 that revs happily to 7,000rpm won't happen again!

Most people on here live in the UK and we have an insurance database that records cars that have been the subject of a claim for being damaged beyond repair or beyond economical repair that gets flagged through the life of the car, so values suffer as a result. But I've had a few in the past with no issues, although they always suffer on value. But photos of the damage and the repairs do help.

Enjoy cruising the Keys. :driving:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:23 pm

Good work. :thumbsup: Welcome to the forum.

rmvpa007

Post by rmvpa007 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:25 am

Nice to meet you guys. I'm originally from the UK myself but have lived in the US most of my life. Still feel like I'm at home when I go back.

So I just went through all the engine codes and cleared them all out after taking numerous pics for future reference if they recur. I think most of the electrical DTC's are related to that loose battery connection that I need to take care of as it creates a low voltage problem across all circuits and unless I get someone to wiggle the wire it arcs and the car won't start, even with a fresh battery.

The body shop might not have reconnected the headlight I replaced properly as its only partially illuminating and not dipping when you hit the start button like the passenger side. If the connections good then its possible I need a new bulb. Changed one of the burned out brake lights too.

Other than the few minor issues left, I think I got a great deal on this ride. All in from Copart It was around $6600. I've put another $7500 in to it in repairs and paint and have another $1500 - $2000 to go, but then it will be tip top with no dash lights, fresh paint and the interior is perfect.

I also picked up a 1999 Z3 that I'm rebuilding as well with 143,000 miles. Had rear-end damage and I had a donor car lying around that I'm taking the parts from to restore that one. With rebuilt title I'm not sure how big of a hit the value will be decreased especially when it gets to 30 years old, but I figure 30-40% below retail is very reasonable price especially with the shortage of cars and parts these days.

Unless your mechanically inclined, and enjoy working on cars yourself, like I do, you need to have any rebuilt car looked at by trusted mechanics to make sure the work was done right. I've bought some frame damaged cars out of state that looked fine from the pics, but turned out to have major issues. Rust is also a big unknown especially with northern cars, unless they are relatively new. Every car I have is rebuilt but I did the rebuilding, so I know it was done right. Never had a problem with them. Paying full price to get a new car with a warranty has its advantages, and I have owned a few over the years but would never consider it again after the fun I've had with rebuilt cars. Been tracking the Miatas at Homestead and Sebring lately and went to the Dragon's tail for Miata week. I'll have to go back with the Z4 when they have BMW meets now!
Attachments
5.JPG
5.JPG (91.68 KiB) Viewed 412 times
4.JPG
4.JPG (87.35 KiB) Viewed 412 times
3.JPG
3.JPG (103.27 KiB) Viewed 412 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (55.45 KiB) Viewed 412 times
1.JPG
1.JPG (87.21 KiB) Viewed 412 times

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:33 am

Welcome…I admire your tenacity and resolve…

Probably best to put up each issue up on the E89 problems section then various SMEs can proffer solutions :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard..

grannyknot

Post by grannyknot » Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:45 am

rmvpa007 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:26 pm
I picked up this Z4 as a salvage vehicle in Savannah, GA. It had some superficial front end damage (no frame damage).
It is astonishing how little damage is considered a write off these days, not sure what the justification for it is.
What use to be called a fender bender is now salvage.
I've rebuilt a few cars that had zero structural damage that had been written off, I love it, really enjoy putting them back on the road for a second life.
Unfortunately, a rebuilt title still scares a lot of people.
The e89s are really starting to grow on me, some very nice lines on them especially the long hood and sharper nose compared to the e86.
Miatas are great fun too but they don't have the quality feel of a Z4.
2008 E86 M coupe
Toronto, Ontario

N4LLY

Post by N4LLY » Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:29 pm

Hi and welcome.

Have done the drive from Miami to The Keys four times. The drive over the 7 mile bridge with the roof down
is amazing. In Chrysler Sebring (No Z's for hire)

Your are lucky to have on the doorstep.
Shame not many twisy road's in Florida :?

8)

2014 20 M sport Valencia Orange

rmvpa007

Post by rmvpa007 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:22 am

Yea Miami is mostly straight line driving on highways as it’s flat. Gotta get up into the mountains to enjoy the twistys. That or hit a race track.

I agree the quality and feel of the BMW is light years ahead of the Miata’s, although the ND’s have come a long way in the engineering department. I’ve taken the 2020 I just rebuilt to the mountains (Dragons Tail in North Carolina) and the track at homestead and it performed like a go-cart very nimble and responsive.

Insurance adjusters who total out a car for trivial damage are my best friends. I think once the airbags deploy that is a big factor in their decision to write off a vehicle. If the car won’t start or if the engine makes funny noises after an accident that also plays a big part. I say that from experience because the Miata had a hole in the plastic intake which prevented it from idling and triggered every DTC light on the dash plus you could hear the combustion process. Ran perfect when I swapped out that $425 part. The public perception is rooted in fear of the unknown. Overcoming that is a challenge when trying to sell a rebuilt car, but I don’t mind educating people if they are willing to be open minded. The blindly ignorant can overpay for “clean titled” cars from Carvana all they want. 🫣