Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Front brake line replacement

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
peterh

Post by peterh » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:13 pm

I need to replace the front o\s brake line for the mot. When I unscrew the old one from the ABS unit will fluid drain from the ABS.Is it straight forward to bleed from the caliper as usual ?

Paul_RK

Post by Paul_RK » Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:24 pm

As i remember, on diagnostic tool there are special function INPA/DISA, after for example fluid replacement to circulate the brake fluid by ABS unit. But from practice, yes, you can bleed from caliper, some notes, don't open fluid reservoir before you finish change the lines, need for ABS unit not to "swallow" air in. And just after you can open reservoir, fill it /refill it, and open calipers, from the longest line side, as usual.

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:47 pm

I think if you keep pressure on the brake pedal while doing the works there is a non return valve that should prevent air ingress
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

smorris_12

Post by smorris_12 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:12 am

There's not much reason for fluid to drain out of the ABS pump and let air in if only one pipe is off so straight forward bleeding should be ok. As said, INPA does have a full ABS pump bleed function but it's a bit of a two person job and a bit arcane. Had to fully remove the pump from an E90 to change the vacuum servo once and so ran through it and it must have taken us about 3 attempts to get the sequence right (it shouts instructions, wants keypresses to reassure it and to have bleed nipples opened and closed at just the right moment!)
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:24 pm

peterh wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:13 pm I need to replace the front o\s brake line for the mot. When I unscrew the old one from the ABS unit will fluid drain from the ABS.Is it straight forward to bleed from the caliper as usual ?
I've done this on a couple of occasions. I just remove the old and insert the new VERY quickly. Fluid loss is negligible. Then bled the system immediately with my pressure bleeder which makes the process very easy. No issues and no problems afterwards :thumbsup:
20210410_220905.jpg
20210410_220905.jpg (196.89 KiB) Viewed 203 times
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !