Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Wireless Charging Phone Mount

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Beeacon

Post by Beeacon » Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:41 am

Hi all,

I recently upgraded to a phone capable of charging wirelessly, and as such have bought a wireless charging mount compatible with my phone (linked below). I want to try and hide the cable to keep the cabin neat, and so I don't lose the convenience of the magnetic mount/charger by having to mess about with plugging in/out the charger.
I've had great success in the past with a magnetic car vent mount, and the convenience of practically throwing your phone somewhere in the region of the centre console and having the phone fix to it has been excellent, as well as being quite minimal. It was just missing the ability to also charge the phone by simply attaching it.

With that in mind, what I'd like to do is run a USB cable through the centre console air vent and then either piggyback off of a fuse in the glovebox, or connect directly to the back of the cigarette lighter. Has anyone done this before? Is there a route to do this? Am I going to accidentally ruin my aircon?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Beeacon.

Wireless Charging Phone Mount:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08HNBHSQV

90 Degree Bend USB-C:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0B18WJS6K

Old Magnetic Phone Mount & Cigarette Lighter Socket USB Adapter:
https://amzn.eu/d/axWdaGq
https://amzn.eu/d/gd2wyzz
Current: Still thinking...
Past: 2009 BMW Z4 35i sDrive DCT
Past: 1997 BMW Z3 2.8 wide boy

tiglon

Post by tiglon » Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:25 am

I did this last year. Ran the cable from the socket in the arm rest storage, under the storage mat, underneath the centre console (had to drill a hole in the arm rest storage tray) then up behind the stereo and into the air con vent to attach to the mount. Works fine but yes you lose a bit of air con due to the mount partially blocking the vent, but there's still more than enough cooling and heating.

Not the best photos but hopefully you get the idea. I found out how to remove enough dashboard trim from an AnubisZed video... don't have the link, sorry.
Attachments
20211124_152433.jpg
20211124_152433.jpg (157.68 KiB) Viewed 308 times
20211124_155541.jpg
20211124_155541.jpg (147.56 KiB) Viewed 308 times
20211124_155548.jpg
20211124_155548.jpg (184.02 KiB) Viewed 308 times
2014 E89 35is Valencia Orange 788M wheels (M2 Competition), E90 M3 control arms, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, MHD Stage 1

Beeacon

Post by Beeacon » Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:39 am

tiglon wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:25 am I did this last year. Ran the cable from the socket in the arm rest storage, under the storage mat, underneath the centre console (had to drill a hole in the arm rest storage tray) then up behind the stereo and into the air con vent to attach to the mount. Works fine but yes you lose a bit of air con due to the mount partially blocking the vent, but there's still more than enough cooling and heating.

Not the best photos but hopefully you get the idea. I found out how to remove enough dashboard trim from an AnubisZed video... don't have the link, sorry.
Hey Tiglon,

Thanks for the informative post, the images really help. I might just go about doing mine this way, though I may use a USB extension cord so I don't have to faff around in the future if I change mount.

When removing dashboard elements, did you have to remove the stereo in order to get the cable behind? This seems to be the most complicated portion of it judging by the video you mentioned (I've seen it before, posted below for others).

Cheers,
Beeacon.

AnubisZed Youtube Video Removing Centre Console:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYQgNDj4Fac&t=1384s
Current: Still thinking...
Past: 2009 BMW Z4 35i sDrive DCT
Past: 1997 BMW Z3 2.8 wide boy

tiglon

Post by tiglon » Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:15 pm

Yes, the stereo needs to be unscrewed and pulled forwards just enough to slip the cable up the side. It doesn't need to come all the way out. IIRC the clips on the stereo surround/facia look and feel quite brittle, so be careful with those.

The hardest part of the job is finding a short enough screwdriver to get to some of the screws.
2014 E89 35is Valencia Orange 788M wheels (M2 Competition), E90 M3 control arms, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, MHD Stage 1