Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Trunk/boot in “maintenance mode”

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Aether

Post by Aether » Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:18 am

Hello folks,

I’ve just installed a CarPlay MMI Box in my 2016 and am getting ready to install a rear camera. Interestingly enough of the 3 or 4 videos that I’m seeing on YouTube, each one seems to go about running the wires in different ways. One thing I did notice is that for some of the key panels to come off, the person doing the work sets the trunk/boot in “maintenance mode” to flip open towards the back of the car as if it’s opening to store the roof, but No details are given on what you do to flip it open this way. Can any of you kind soles help me out and point me to directions on how to flip my lid (in reverse)? Thanks!

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:23 am

Aether wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:18 am Hello folks,

I’ve just installed a CarPlay MMI Box in my 2016 and am getting ready to install a rear camera. Interestingly enough of the 3 or 4 videos that I’m seeing on YouTube, each one seems to go about running the wires in different ways. One thing I did notice is that for some of the key panels to come off, the person doing the work sets the trunk/boot in “maintenance mode” to flip open towards the back of the car as if it’s opening to store the roof, but No details are given on what you do to flip it open this way. Can any of you kind soles help me out and point me to directions on how to flip my lid (in reverse)? Thanks!
If you use the forum search facility there’s lots of information buried here viewtopic.php?p=1910806&hilit=Maintenan ... t#p1910806
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Aether

Post by Aether » Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:55 am

That’s a lot of great details on roof maintenance, which is not what I’m trying to tackle at the moment. The only mention of service mode points to a YouTube video, but unfortunately I don’t speak German, so I cannot follow what he’s doing. I see him flipping a couple of parts in the lock mechanism, but from there, it’s unclear what he does next to get it to open. Would greatly appreciate it if anyone could provide the simple details on how to activate.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:27 am

Open boot, push a screw drive blade in the two slots that normally latch the boot down.
System then thinks the boot is latched.
Then open roof and stow.

Aether

Post by Aether » Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:06 pm

Thank you!

RobbiZ4

Post by RobbiZ4 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:20 am

Aether wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:55 am I don’t speak German, so I cannot follow what he’s doing.
That is one of the @germinator videos.
Just follow his fingers twice, that's all. Then open the roof halfway.
Pardon, je suis Allemand :oops:
:ant:
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Y3 Roof Diagnostic System
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=129048

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:34 pm

Alternative is do my modification, as you might find roof fault when opening and can't get boot open.
viewtopic.php?t=136430

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:33 am

Maintenance Mode to access boot trim removal....

For cars WITHOUT SmartTop module (ie; stock)
Press and hold the OPEN button on the fob to open roof to the point where the rear roof section is on top of the front roof section and the rear deck is pointing up. At this point release the button. You are now is Maintenance Mode. No need for screwdrivers as it's not going anywhere. If you are going to be like this for any length of time then a broom between the boot floor and the rear deck panel "just in case" might be usefull, but I've had mine up for quite a long time before with no issues.

For owners WITH SmartTop
Press the fob OPEN button to start your roof movement. Once it is in the correct position (as above) press the CLOSE button (once or it may need a second press) to stop it's movement.

Hope that helps :thumbsup:
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:16 am

Depends on what you need to do. If it's just access with rear lid open, then just open it and prop it up.

It's much easier to have the boot lid separated (which i would call "maintenance mode") so that you can get at the brass screws on the pump.

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:41 am

flybobbie wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:16 am Depends on what you need to do. If it's just access with rear lid open, then just open it and prop it up.

It's much easier to have the boot lid separated (which i would call "maintenance mode") so that you can get at the brass screws on the pump.
Nothing wrong with that way, but the OP wants to fit a reversing camera so no need for the boot lid access.
I was using that way while replacing my hydraulic hoses the other week and it's a fantastic way to work on the car, but you do need to remember that the lid is there and well within head-hitting height!! :?
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

Aether

Post by Aether » Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:02 pm

Thank you all for your input! Will be tackling this later today!