Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Need some advice on pricing a damaged Z4

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
True-Blue
Lifer
Lifer

Post by True-Blue » Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:32 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:22 pm Is quite surprising that on this forum we have people who can swap all the suspension, move the roof motor, fix the steering, reprogramme every conceivable function, yet no-one can slap a bit of paint on a bit of metal. :rofl:
I think the problem is anybody could do that…. But no one would be prepared to pay for it! :rofl: :poke:

There’s a lot of skill in paint, if you want a proper job…. Not to mention the environment required.

I’m fairly sure you’re being ironic, I’m not having a go :thumbsup:
Alpina Roadster S Lux no. 204 (1 of 15 uk cars in Alpina Blue)

Previous Z4’s :E89 30i, E89 20i, E85 3.0Si (X4) E85 3.0i, E86 3.0 Si, E85 2.5si, E85 2.5i

True-Blue
Lifer
Lifer

Post by True-Blue » Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:34 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:22 pm Is quite surprising that on this forum we have people who can swap all the suspension, move the roof motor, fix the steering, reprogramme every conceivable function, yet no-one can slap a bit of paint on a bit of metal. :rofl:
It’s seems we’ve also got a resident financial adviser / day Trader / Troll… but I don’t see those posts anymore for some reason :evil:
Alpina Roadster S Lux no. 204 (1 of 15 uk cars in Alpina Blue)

Previous Z4’s :E89 30i, E89 20i, E85 3.0Si (X4) E85 3.0i, E86 3.0 Si, E85 2.5si, E85 2.5i

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:37 am

True-Blue wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:32 pm
I think the problem is anybody could do that…. But no one would be prepared to pay for it! :rofl: :poke:

There’s a lot of skill in paint, if you want a proper job…. Not to mention the environment required.

I’m fairly sure you’re being ironic, I’m not having a go :thumbsup:
Ha yes. Not really irony, more flippancy. I know the skill involved, just wish we had a member who could help out.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Dr. Zed

Post by Dr. Zed » Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:48 pm

Same. I'm not necessarily expecting a massive discount from a member, or one at all. But knowing someone here knows what they're doing fills me with peace of mind. I know they won't inflate their prices and they'd know these cars well enough to really appreciate the work that needs doing.
Maldives Blue 2.5i E85

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:15 pm

Dr. Zed wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:48 pm Same. I'm not necessarily expecting a massive discount from a member, or one at all. But knowing someone here knows what they're doing fills me with peace of mind. I know they won't inflate their prices and they'd know these cars well enough to really appreciate the work that needs doing.
I have found over the years that people who work on cars everyday; either repairing them (car sprayers), or mechanics don't tend to be on enthusiast forums. Busman's holiday, maybe? :?
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:18 pm

True-Blue wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:34 pm It’s seems we’ve also got a resident financial adviser / day Trader / Troll… but I don’t see those posts anymore for some reason
Took the hint, finally? :?
Or has lost his shirt and can't afford the broadband fees! :)
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

smorris_12

Post by smorris_12 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:04 am

Having waved rattle cans around on wing mirror covers and other small things over the years and after watching a few inspirational videos on YouTube, I've just done most of my front bumper after catching the corner on a wall. It also had various other scratches and dinks that wanted covering up. I wasn't worried about getting a concourse finish so I thought I'd give it a go. Cost me about £60/70 in primer, paint, lacquer and sandpaper and it's almost perfect. No-one can see the join between old and new and the only defects are where I simply didn't bother sanding ever last imperfection down to the plastic, and the filler in the splitter that I just couldn't get quite right. But it's so low down only the snails will see it.

This was A09 Silbergrau metallic - whether it's a particularly forgiving colour I don't know, but I'd be getting a decent panel and breaking out the orbital sander if it was me.
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:02 am

The 350Z from what I’ve seen can suffer from quite a lot of rust underneath so I would keep an eye on a potential buy.

There’s a guy on YouTube called road a race who has had a few and does all the work himself worth a watch of the series

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNKr ... wDHX0qWRmn