Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Norfolk Zed Rescue

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Roberltd2

Norfolk Zed Rescue

Post by Roberltd2 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:20 pm

Top man :thumbsup:
2007 E85 2.5 si Sport in Montego Blue.
1994 Eunos J2Ltd - sold and now undergoing restoration.
1963 Triumph Thunderbird.

jock156

Norfolk Zed Rescue

Post by jock156 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:08 pm

Well another vote for Enuffzeds garage!

Finally got rid of my coolant light with a new expansion tank :D

I could watch him all day πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»

Many thanks again :D :D :D

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Norfolk Zed Rescue

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:14 pm

jock156 wrote: ↑Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:08 pm Well another vote for Enuffzeds garage!

Finally got rid of my coolant light with a new expansion tank :D

I could watch him all day πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»

Many thanks again :D :D :D
Pleasure mate.
Honestly, you'd get bored watching me all day! Even the dogs went back indoors!
Glad it's sorted the annoying light.
Best of luck for the MOT.

For those who may be interested, Jock's car kept throwing up a low coolant level warning. Tank definitely full; new sensor made no difference.
Old tank removed, unable to find any manufacturer marking except it was made in 07/13.
Held the top float still and tipped the tank over a few times. No noises.
Got the new tank (Meyle), did the same and you could hear the low level float moving up and down.
Can only assume the float in the old tank was stuck at the bottom, keeping the light on.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Norfolk Zed Rescue

Post by MikeyH » Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:17 pm

As I have already said on here, I wish I lived closer to you.
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters β€˜cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Norfolk Zed Rescue

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:23 pm

MikeyH wrote: ↑Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:17 pm As I have already said on here, I wish I lived closer to you.
Well I'm heading to Perranporth for a week on Sunday night. That'll be a bit closer.
Not sure I'll be allowed to play cars though. :roll:

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Norfolk Zed Rescue

Post by MikeyH » Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:21 pm

enuff_zed wrote: ↑Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:23 pm
MikeyH wrote: ↑Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:17 pm As I have already said on here, I wish I lived closer to you.
Well I'm heading to Perranporth for a week on Sunday night. That'll be a bit closer.
Not sure I'll be allowed to play cars though. :roll:
:rofl: :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters β€˜cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

Dr_Tripwire

Norfolk Zed Rescue

Post by Dr_Tripwire » Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:11 am

enuff_zed wrote: ↑Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:47 pm This started as a bit of a joke, but it appears to be gathering pace!
So tell all your friends, there's a bloke in Attleborough who would dearly love to retire, or at the very least cut back his working days, and if it can be done by helping others to keep their Z4 on the road then I'm your man!
Main experience is E85 M54, but the only way I can expand that is by working on others.
I'll be 100% honest and only take on stuff I understand.
If you need any help, advice, parts, servicing, someone to look over a car with you, or just a chat with a fellow nut, then get in touch.

PS. My body is telling me no more than two roof motor moves in a weekend! So get in early. :wink:
@enuff_zed are you still open to helping out with issues? I'm in Ipswich and have had my local indy try to resolve the P0171 & P0174 issue on my coupe (3.0si N52) twice - the first time they replaced the VVT gasket, the second time they replaced the VVT rocker gasket but no luck...I've had the car off the road for a few weeks (only as I use a smoky old Saab as a daily) but want to make use of it again. What do you reckon? Would you be up for a visit for some help?

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Norfolk Zed Rescue

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:40 am

Dr_Tripwire wrote: ↑Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:11 am
enuff_zed wrote: ↑Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:47 pm This started as a bit of a joke, but it appears to be gathering pace!
So tell all your friends, there's a bloke in Attleborough who would dearly love to retire, or at the very least cut back his working days, and if it can be done by helping others to keep their Z4 on the road then I'm your man!
Main experience is E85 M54, but the only way I can expand that is by working on others.
I'll be 100% honest and only take on stuff I understand.
If you need any help, advice, parts, servicing, someone to look over a car with you, or just a chat with a fellow nut, then get in touch.

PS. My body is telling me no more than two roof motor moves in a weekend! So get in early. :wink:
@enuff_zed are you still open to helping out with issues? I'm in Ipswich and have had my local indy try to resolve the P0171 & P0174 issue on my coupe (3.0si N52) twice - the first time they replaced the VVT gasket, the second time they replaced the VVT rocker gasket but no luck...I've had the car off the road for a few weeks (only as I use a smoky old Saab as a daily) but want to make use of it again. What do you reckon? Would you be up for a visit for some help?
More than happy to help you if I can. I am still in the learning phase on the N52 as I have concentrated more on M54 up to now.
Therefore I am asking a few other members for advice before you waste a journey.

Dr_Tripwire

Norfolk Zed Rescue

Post by Dr_Tripwire » Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:53 am

enuff_zed wrote: ↑Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:40 am More than happy to help you if I can. I am still in the learning phase on the N52 as I have concentrated more on M54 up to now.
Therefore I am asking a few other members for advice before you waste a journey.
Fantastic thanks! I may see if I can get a local garage to do a smoke test if I can get an appointment with them this week to at least rule out a leak but will keeo an eye out on here for your thoughts on a potential visit - much appreciated.

:thumbsup:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Norfolk Zed Rescue

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:48 pm

Dr_Tripwire wrote: ↑Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:53 am
enuff_zed wrote: ↑Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:40 am More than happy to help you if I can. I am still in the learning phase on the N52 as I have concentrated more on M54 up to now.
Fantastic thanks! I may see if I can get a local garage to do a smoke test if I can get an appointment with them this week to at least rule out a leak but will keeo an eye out on here for your thoughts on a potential visit - much appreciated.

:thumbsup:
Well Colb immediately suggested a smoke test as the codes do suggest lean running and as it is both banks it would suggest something on the intake side rather than a sensor issue on the exhaust side.
Bigwinn also found suggestions it may be the MAF or the CCV.
Is your engine silver top or black top?

Dr_Tripwire

Norfolk Zed Rescue

Post by Dr_Tripwire » Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:22 pm

enuff_zed wrote: ↑Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:48 pm Is your engine silver top or black top?
Ah ok, so I've gotten in touch with a garage to get it booked in for a smoke test so that's a step in the right direction. I also read that having both codes appear would mean it's less likely to be oxygen sensor related... It's a black top

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Norfolk Zed Rescue

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:51 pm

Dr_Tripwire wrote: ↑Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:22 pm
enuff_zed wrote: ↑Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:48 pm Is your engine silver top or black top?
Ah ok, so I've gotten in touch with a garage to get it booked in for a smoke test so that's a step in the right direction. I also read that having both codes appear would mean it's less likely to be oxygen sensor related... It's a black top
Yes highly unlikely for both banks to fail, so look for a common link.
I believe black top engines have the CCV built into the rocker cover.

Dr_Tripwire

Norfolk Zed Rescue

Post by Dr_Tripwire » Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:25 pm

enuff_zed wrote: ↑Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:51 pm Yes highly unlikely for both banks to fail, so look for a common link.
Thanks... I guess it'll be a case of seeing what comes from the smoke test, then the MAF (the connector and plug are clean and corrosion free), then if all else fails the CCV - having done a bit of a read up I'm hoping it's either a vacuum leak or worse case, the MAF as I think you're right about the CCV being under the rocker... Hopefully I'll know more in the coming days!

Thanks again!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Norfolk Zed Rescue

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:35 pm

Dr_Tripwire wrote: ↑Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:25 pm
enuff_zed wrote: ↑Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:51 pm Yes highly unlikely for both banks to fail, so look for a common link.
Thanks... I guess it'll be a case of seeing what comes from the smoke test, then the MAF (the connector and plug are clean and corrosion free), then if all else fails the CCV - having done a bit of a read up I'm hoping it's either a vacuum leak or worse case, the MAF as I think you're right about the CCV being under the rocker... Hopefully I'll know more in the coming days!

Thanks again!
But you can buy a brand new rocker cover with all the seals etc for under Β£100. Not too difficult to change either.
How much is a MAF? Decent make?
To check the MAF you can disconnect it, clear the codes and see if they come back. The DME will run the engine on a default map instead.

Dr_Tripwire

Norfolk Zed Rescue

Post by Dr_Tripwire » Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:48 pm

enuff_zed wrote: ↑Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:48 pm But you can buy a brand new rocker cover with all the seals etc for under Β£100. Not too difficult to change either.
How much is a MAF? Decent make?
To check the MAF you can disconnect it, clear the codes and see if they come back. The DME will run the engine on a default map instead.
Oh...I thought the CCV job would be more expensive than that. Looking on Autodoc the MAF sensor prices vary from as low as Β£55 to almost Β£300. That said, I'm looking on eBay at an OEM sensor (Continental OEM 13627520519) for around Β£50 brand new).

Thanks for the advice on how to check it... Silly question but if I disconnect it, clear the codes and run the engine, if the EML comes on that would indicate that it's not the MAF?

When I've cleared the codes before, the EML has stayed off for quite some time, so I may have to leave the sensor disconnected for a while and drive it for a period of time (this is why it's been a bit of a slow burner to look into - both times the garage attempted to resolve the problem, they told me they had found a leak, fixed it but wouldn't know if it's fixed the problem until it's been driven around for some time)...