Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

03 E85 2.5i Air Con Leak

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
FunkyGBrown

03 E85 2.5i Air Con Leak

Post by FunkyGBrown » Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:37 pm

Recently purchased a Z4 from fellow forum member Zebedee which has been running flawlessly aside from no air con (we were well aware of this beforehand)!

Had the air con in for a regas today at the local kwikfit (I know, I know) and there appears to be a leak coming from the radiator area. The mechanic thinks it's the air con radiator that either needs replacing or a joint needs redoing. He said anything they put into it is just going to come straight out, so took it down and I drove it home.

Got a refund for the air con so can't complain at free fault finding. But wondering if anyone has any ideas on what could potentially be going on here? I'm not too worried about it as the weather's turning cooler and the roof works a charm. Will likely have it looked at professionally next year but until then was hoping to get some opinions/thoughts from the experts.

Cheers!

srhutch

03 E85 2.5i Air Con Leak

Post by srhutch » Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:50 pm

Did they not pressure test before which should show you exactly where the leak is.

FunkyGBrown

03 E85 2.5i Air Con Leak

Post by FunkyGBrown » Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:15 pm

srhutch wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:50 pm Did they not pressure test before which should show you exactly where the leak is.
Sadly not, or if they did they didn't pinpoint it to me just gave me an estimate of around the radiator.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

03 E85 2.5i Air Con Leak

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:29 pm

It sounds like it may be the condensor as the radiator needs to come out to replace it, as I discovered a few years ago!

If you live anywhere near Ben I'd get Ross (bowser134 on here) at RBM Hampshire in Hook to have a look at it. He is ex-Sytner and has been looking after both my BMWs for a few years now.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

03 E85 2.5i Air Con Leak

Post by Zedebee » Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:32 pm

Sadly, Mr Funky is some distance away in Essex. Glenn, I didn't go near the aircon as it’s not within my technical capability, although when I bought the car the drive belt was missing (which I refitted). Hopefully your experience with the regas points to why the aircon was disabled, i.e. not a compressor issue. First thing I’d do is trace/check all the pipes for obvious deterioration, then go visit an independent. Worth noting that no error codes were showing for the aircon system and all the digital switching appeared to be working fine.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

03 E85 2.5i Air Con Leak

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:40 pm

Zedebee wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:32 pm Sadly, Mr Funky is some distance away in Essex. Glenn, I didn't go near the aircon as it’s not within my technical capability, although when I bought the car the drive belt was missing (which I refitted). Hopefully your experience with the regas points to why the aircon was disabled, i.e. not a compressor issue. First thing I’d do is trace/check all the pipes for obvious deterioration, then go visit an independent. Worth noting that no error codes were showing for the aircon system and all the digital switching appeared to be working fine.
Hi my Funky friend!
Not sure where you are in Essex, but if you find out what the issue is and it involves a bit of spannering then I can clear a bit of space on the drive to help out.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

03 E85 2.5i Air Con Leak

Post by Zedebee » Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:42 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:40 pm
Zedebee wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:32 pm Sadly, Mr Funky is some distance away in Essex. Glenn, I didn't go near the aircon as it’s not within my technical capability, although when I bought the car the drive belt was missing (which I refitted). Hopefully your experience with the regas points to why the aircon was disabled, i.e. not a compressor issue. First thing I’d do is trace/check all the pipes for obvious deterioration, then go visit an independent. Worth noting that no error codes were showing for the aircon system and all the digital switching appeared to be working fine.
Hi my Funky friend!
Not sure where you are in Essex, but if you find out what the issue is and it involves a bit of spannering then I can clear a bit of space on the drive to help out.
ooops, Kent. Nowhere near you Martin :(
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

FunkyGBrown

03 E85 2.5i Air Con Leak

Post by FunkyGBrown » Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:32 pm

Thanks Ben, I'm going to shine a light in the engine bay and see what's up tomorrow with the pipes. I'm hoping that given they called me so quickly that it's a fairly obvious fault. But, as I said, I'm not too worried as the driving itself is faultless. If anything, it's an opportunity to learn some things about the z4 and motoring in general.

I see by your signature you're now back in a Zed, couldn't stay away for too long. :P

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

03 E85 2.5i Air Con Leak

Post by Zedebee » Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:22 am

FunkyGBrown wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:32 pm I see by your signature you're now back in a Zed, couldn't stay away for too long. :P
:rofl: which reminds me, I must put up a photo introducing my car, as should you :poke: