Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Overheating / How to troubleshoot?!

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
slidintoo

Post by slidintoo » Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:26 pm

Hey guys, I am trying to troubleshoot what is wrong with my brothers 2004 z4 3.0.

The other day it started to get hot while driving home (in Vegas its like 105+ outside right now).

We replaced the thermostat and it still got hot while after awhile.

I think it might be the electric fan, since it won't turn on while trying to diagnose the issue at temp. When I click on the Ac it does 1 revolution and doesn't spin anymore.

Any ideas on how to confirm its the fan or how to troubleshoot further?

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:32 pm

Well welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

I'm pretty sure the fan should be running continuously, albeit quite slowly, if the AC is on. My Z4 needed a new fan for that issue earlier this year.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

slidintoo

Post by slidintoo » Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:22 am

UPDATE!

While playing with the car trying to figure it out, I noticed the AC compressor smoked a little while the ac was clicked on.

I feel like I remember someone saying that if the AC isnt working properly the rad fan won't eiter.

Any ideas on that?