Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Steering Assistance Faulty

Papa P

Post by Papa P » Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:23 pm

Last month I bought a Z4 35is 2011 Black Sapphire (metallic) with black leather and just over 30,000 miles on the clock from a private seller. A real beast of art machinery and great fun. The only problem is the other day the steering assistance faulty sign came on and the steering became stiff. As the steering is electric assist I tested the battery which showed 79% and alternator both working fine. Have booked the car in with a garage for next week to fix the problem. Just hopping it's not the dreaded steering column costly fault. Plan for the worst and hope for the best comes to mind. Has anyone else had this problem. Would be interesting to hear your comments.
E89: 35is sDrive - Black Sapphire (metallic) with Black Leather Interior
An awesome work of art machinery
Volvo: V90 Inscription (Thunderbird 2)
Honda: CB1100 SE-A (Classic beauty)

Zforbes

Post by Zforbes » Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:34 pm

Papa P wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:23 pm Last month I bought a Z4 35is 2011 Black Sapphire (metallic) with black leather and just over 30,000 miles on the clock from a private seller. A real beast of art machinery and great fun. The only problem is the other day the steering assistance faulty sign came on and the steering became stiff. As the steering is electric assist I tested the battery which showed 79% and alternator both working fine. Have booked the car in with a garage for next week to fix the problem. Just hopping it's not the dreaded steering column costly fault. Plan for the worst and hope for the best comes to mind. Has anyone else had this problem. Would be interesting to hear your comments.
You bought the right car :evil:

Common fault on these cars I'm afraid. Usual rectification is by sending the EPS motor to ECU testing for refurb, cost is about £300 plus labour remove and re fitting if you don't do it yourself, will take about a week. There are other more costly options but you won't gain IMO changing the full rack using OEM servicing and parts unless you have extended warranty.

Good luck 🤞
E89 sDrive 35is Titan Silver Kansas Black Leather

Zforbes

Post by Zforbes » Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:37 pm

Also,

Obligatory to post in the newbie section an intro and pictures of you new stead. :driving:
E89 sDrive 35is Titan Silver Kansas Black Leather

Papa P

Post by Papa P » Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:31 pm

Thanks for your reply Zforbes,
Tried to up load a photo of my Z4, but no luck. Work in progress, up load photo and repair steering. Cheers
E89: 35is sDrive - Black Sapphire (metallic) with Black Leather Interior
An awesome work of art machinery
Volvo: V90 Inscription (Thunderbird 2)
Honda: CB1100 SE-A (Classic beauty)