Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Cost of inspection 2

"M" Specific discussion
Mister T

Cost of inspection 2

Post by Mister T » Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:36 pm

Has anyone had an inspection 2 done recently?

I looked on North Oxford BMWs website earlier today and the price was over £1900!

This seems ridiculous, has anyone had the same?

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Cost of inspection 2

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:42 pm

I took my MC to Ross (bowser134 on here) at RBM Hampshire in Hook for an Inspection 2 in April 2020.

It also needed a new camchain tensioner and Rear Trailing Arm Bushes, but even including those the total was just over £1,100!

I think BMW are trying to bend you over. :o
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Neil CR

Cost of inspection 2

Post by Neil CR » Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:47 pm

I had an inspection 2 at RBM back in April for an E85 and it was £245.83 +vat

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Cost of inspection 2

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:55 pm

Neil CR wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:47 pm I had an inspection 2 at RBM back in April for an E85 and it was £245.83 +vat
I don't think it would have been am M for that price though!

Inspection 2 for an M includes fresh gearbox and differential oil and valve clearance adjustment using shims if required.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Neil CR

Cost of inspection 2

Post by Neil CR » Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:02 pm

Sorry no it wasn’t an M

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Cost of inspection 2

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:06 pm

Neil CR wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:02 pm Sorry no it wasn’t an M
I'm sure your wallet wasn't sorry. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Jellyfishfields

Cost of inspection 2

Post by Jellyfishfields » Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:13 pm

I've not had any quotes myself, but this might give you an idea of what to expect.

https://www.redish-motorsport.com/BMWE8 ... Price.html

Neil CR

Cost of inspection 2

Post by Neil CR » Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:24 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:06 pm
Neil CR wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:02 pm Sorry no it wasn’t an M
I'm sure your wallet wasn't sorry. :thumbsup:
All good but have spent on a few bits with Ross

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Cost of inspection 2

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:51 pm

Neil CR wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:24 pm but have spent on a few bits with Ross
You and me both!

Since Ross opened my MC has been there four or five times including replacement rod bearing shells and engine mounts. My 3 Series has made 4 visits too!

And my MC is booked in for an oil service in a couple of weeks' time. Maybe I could ask for a loyalty card? :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Neil CR

Cost of inspection 2

Post by Neil CR » Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:57 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:51 pm
Neil CR wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:24 pm but have spent on a few bits with Ross
You and me both!

Since Ross opened my MC has been there four or five times including replacement rod bearing shells and engine mounts. My 3 Series has made 4 visits too!

And my MC is booked in for an oil service in a couple of weeks' time. Maybe I could ask for a loyalty card? :lol:
that would be a good marketing tool 😉

nickw6666

Cost of inspection 2

Post by nickw6666 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:54 pm

Inspection 2 at £1900 is crazy money. I think there is scope for 'negotiation' as a big chunk is labour for the valve clearance check.
The gearbox oil and diff oil make up part of the high cost as well, but the labour is the big amount.
I've had my Z4MC for close to 15 years now, and I've had my car serviced throughout that time at BMW main dealer. As my car is a 2nd car, it gets quite low mileage each year, so when it comes to Inspection 1 or Inspection 2, I review with the dealer whether the valve clearance actually needs doing as this is more mileage led than say the oil changes which need doing regardless of mileage as oil ages etc.
So I checked this with BMW AG in Germany and they advised that the Inspection 1 & 2 listing of valve clearance is because the 'expected' mileage between services is approx 15-16k miles, so that would be sat 32K miles of driving between Inspection services etc.
Of course many cars don't cover that mileage between services, so BMW AG confirmed that the valve clearance check which is mainly mileage driven (and use etc if you do every gear change at 7900rom) could be dropped from an Inspection 1 & 2 if the car had covered low mileage.
So this is a very long winded way of saying that if your car is low mileage between Inspection intervals, you don't necessarily have to do the valve clearance check even though the service booklet says this. The dealers will generally just say 'do what's listed in the book' but they just quote parrot fashion generally. I forced the dialogue to BMW UK and in the end BMW AG and that was the answer...
That would drop an Inspection 2 price quite significantly etc..
2007 Imola Red Z4M coupe. Owned since January 2008.
Previous: 2009 Guards Red Porsche Cayman S 987.2 Gen II
Previous: 2015 F82 M4 coupe - Mineral White, DCT
Previous: 2007 Meteor Grey 997.1 Porsche 911 Carrera S

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Cost of inspection 2

Post by mmm-five » Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:56 pm

nickw6666 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:54 pm Inspection 2 at £1900 is crazy money. I think there is scope for 'negotiation' as a big chunk is labour for the valve clearance check.
The gearbox oil and diff oil make up part of the high cost as well, but the labour is the big amount.
I've had my Z4MC for close to 15 years now, and I've had my car serviced throughout that time at BMW main dealer. As my car is a 2nd car, it gets quite low mileage each year, so when it comes to Inspection 1 or Inspection 2, I review with the dealer whether the valve clearance actually needs doing as this is more mileage led than say the oil changes which need doing regardless of mileage as oil ages etc.
So I checked this with BMW AG in Germany and they advised that the Inspection 1 & 2 listing of valve clearance is because the 'expected' mileage between services is approx 15-16k miles, so that would be sat 32K miles of driving between Inspection services etc.
Of course many cars don't cover that mileage between services, so BMW AG confirmed that the valve clearance check which is mainly mileage driven (and use etc if you do every gear change at 7900rom) could be dropped from an Inspection 1 & 2 if the car had covered low mileage.
So this is a very long winded way of saying that if your car is low mileage between Inspection intervals, you don't necessarily have to do the valve clearance check even though the service booklet says this. The dealers will generally just say 'do what's listed in the book' but they just quote parrot fashion generally. I forced the dialogue to BMW UK and in the end BMW AG and that was the answer...
That would drop an Inspection 2 price quite significantly etc..
I think you’ve got a bit confused somewhere…

Inspection 1 & 2 are purely mileage based, so you could have a 16 year old Z4M with only 20,000 miles on it that had never needed an Inspection. There’s nothing to review or negotiate with the dealer…as it would only need doing when the mileage/OBC tells you that you need an Inspection. If it pops up on the OBC then you get whichever Inspection it tells you it needs…and the only people telling you that the valve clearances don’t need doing, are the lazy feckers who can’t be arsed to do a proper job.

It’s only the oil services which are mileage OR time based.

If I were you, I’d stop using that dealer immediately, as they’re simply taking you for a mug.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Mister T

Cost of inspection 2

Post by Mister T » Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:51 pm

For anyone interested I negotiated BMW down to £1265 in the end. Full Inspection 2 including the valve clearance check.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Cost of inspection 2

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:58 pm

That's a bit more like it. :thumbsup:

Still seems expensive compared to what an Indy would charge, but you get that Main Dealer stamp in the book!
Coupes because stunning!
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

PDJ

Cost of inspection 2

Post by PDJ » Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:12 pm

Cost to me for the valve clearances is time and possiably a rocker cover gasket

So pleased I can do this myself also BMW would charge you for new shims but with care you can re use them as long as they have worn to the size needed in another space, as when built they where not all the same thickness, if you follow what I mean.

Also it is a good idea to visualy inspect the rocker follower the curved bit on the shaft that you slide over to get the shim out and that the cam pushes on, as these have been reported to have thin surface hardening and once they start to wear they wear quickly.