Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Would you?

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Would you?

Post by Pondrew » Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:38 pm

Been thinking about this off and on for a few years now.
https://www.aksportscars.co.uk/cobra-ki ... assis-kit/
A massive commitment and not exactly cheap but would you? The engine cost and IVA scare me more than the work.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Would you?

Post by Ole gits rule » Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:56 pm

Yes - love one of those in the garage - great fun
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Would you?

Post by MikeyH » Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:04 pm

Yes thought about building one a few times but realise I'm not up to it. :cry: :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Would you?

Post by Argyll Andy » Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:50 pm

If you’re serious speak to stevespg, he does this s**t for fun. On a recent weekend with him he was showing me a couple of TVR chassis he’s in the process of rebuilding. His work was absolutely stunning :thumbsup:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

buzyg
    Legend
    Legend

Would you?

Post by buzyg » Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:55 pm

Yet Another I can't fit in. :( But yes, if could I most certainly would. :thumbsup:

stevespg

Would you?

Post by stevespg » Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:06 pm

As andy said… I’ve built a few… maybe 6/7 cobras and a more Tvr than that.

They’re easy to build. It takes some patience and fettling, but easy enough to get a really good outcome.

IVA…. That’s just a big fat MOT. As long as you’ve bought the correct components, and followed the rule book, it’s not hard.

I’ve never had one fail that couldn’t be sorted easily there and then.
    Z4 3.0si - gone
    Z4MR - gone
    E89 35i - gone

sars
    Lifer
    Lifer

Would you?

Post by sars » Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:06 pm

Most definitely, hopefully in a few more years, once the house with our new triple car garage is finished my partner and I will start on a replica. When I was a wee, I watched a film called The Gumball Rally, the noise from that big block V8 in the Cobra racing against the glorious V12 of the Daytona. Hooked on cars from that day forth.
    Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
    Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

ronk
    Lifer
    Lifer

Would you?

Post by ronk » Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:47 pm

Old enough to know better - but its a Yes from me!

I suspect I will just have to be happy with my current jalopy tho.
    You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
    So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

MikeyH
    Lifer
    Lifer

Would you?

Post by MikeyH » Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:52 pm

ronk wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:47 pm Old enough to know better - but its a Yes from me!

I suspect I will just have to be happy with my current jalopy tho.
    Likewise :D :thumbsup:
    Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
    Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

Pondrew
    Lifer
    Lifer

Would you?

Post by Pondrew » Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:48 pm

Thanks all. That's actually the response I didn't want to hear. I was hoping for some "£40-50k on a plastic homemade replica, no chance" type of replies :lol:
    The AK factory is 20 miles away which helps and another builder, Gardner Douglas, is 30 miles away. One of the well-respected spray shops are around the corner too (SMS Autospray).
    I am not a fan of American cars, but the Cobra being British with a big fat yank V8 (I do have a thing for V8s) appeals massively.
    The building is the main draw; I like to build stuff and love a challenge. Only problem is I don't know much about cars if I'm honest. I can build a house but not a car!
    I would have to sell the 440 but that's not a problem as I rarely use the thing anyway.
    I will admit that the move away from ICE, especially gas-guzzling US V8s has been the main sticking point for not doing it before and that isn't going to get better.
    All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
    E89 20i Now fully dried
    Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
    Mazda3 sold
    Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

MikeyH
    Lifer
    Lifer

Would you?

Post by MikeyH » Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:29 pm

I bought my Z4 because I wanted a last fling of roadster ownership, I kept putting it off for various reasons and in the end my wife told me to get one “before your too bloody old to enjoy it”. Don’t leave it too late Pondrew. :thumbsup:

Chippie

Would you?

Post by Chippie » Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:36 pm

MikeyH wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:29 pm I bought my Z4 because I wanted a last fling of roadster ownership, I kept putting it off for various reasons and in the end my wife told me to get one “before your too bloody old to enjoy it”. Don’t leave it too late Pondrew. :thumbsup:
    Totally agree with the above, just be prepared to spend the next six months stuck in the garage and away from the wife.
    E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

MikeyH
    Lifer
    Lifer

Would you?

Post by MikeyH » Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:44 pm

Chippie wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:36 pm
    MikeyH wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:29 pm I bought my Z4 because I wanted a last fling of roadster ownership, I kept putting it off for various reasons and in the end my wife told me to get one “before your too bloody old to enjoy it”. Don’t leave it too late Pondrew. :thumbsup:
    Totally agree with the above, just be prepared to spend the next six months stuck in the garage and away from the wife.
    Added bonus :poke: :rofl: :thumbsup:

tiglon

Would you?

Post by tiglon » Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:53 am

Go for it. Like you say, it's only going to become more difficult to own something like that in future.

One problem though... Will you get bored and sell it before you even finish building it??
    2014 E89 35is Valencia Orange 788M wheels (M2 Competition), E90 M3 control arms, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, MHD Stage 1

MikeyH
    Lifer
    Lifer

Would you?

Post by MikeyH » Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:27 am

tiglon wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:53 am Go for it. Like you say, it's only going to become more difficult to own something like that in future.

One problem though... Will you get bored and sell it before you even finish building it??
    It seems that lots do :thumbsdown: