Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

hand brake resetting service lock

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
roy0147

Post by roy0147 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:53 pm

I know that the hand brakes are not too good on the E85 but I have just replaced the rear discs and removed the hand brake gaiter before adjusting only to find that the green service lock hook was already in position. After adjusting the shoes through one of the wheel nut holes I tried to release the service lock. As I expect everyone knows this is not easy to access but I did get a screwdriver on to the body (with the hand brake off) and pushed to compress the spring a bit more but I could not move the body sideways to allow the service lock to disappear!
Is there a knack to this? It does seem a very strange bit of design to make adjustments so awkward for the home mechanic.
If I don't manage to free the lock will this affect the performance of the hand brake which was not very good before. Is there anything else I could do?
Any advice would be very welcome.
Roy

AndyJ1

Post by AndyJ1 » Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:42 pm

Hi Roy,
I somehow accidentally engaged the service lock on my E86 while changing a wheel bearing recently.
I managed to release it by compressing with a screwdriver slightly and twisting the screwdriver blade at the same time. I pushed the screwdriver in the middle of the spring end plate, not in the rectangular recess. As I twisted it knocked the lock latch off.
Not a brilliant explanation, but I hope it makes sense.
Good luck 👍
E86 3.0si Silver Grey Auto
E87 118d Daily workhorse

roy0147

Post by roy0147 » Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:17 pm

Thanks Andy - I can picture exactly what you are saying. I was trying to push the screwdriver into the rectangular recess and push when it did go in a bit but I could not move the body sideways to allow the green hook to go back down the hole.
However I tried again today and realised that the green hook is just poking through the hole and is no actually locked on to the end plate and I can move it side to side freely. I can only think that the spring had somehow jammed in a compressed state and I cannot see how to get it released. What a silly design though having to partly remove the brake lever gaiter and gearstick surround and a plastic infill (which I managed to break some of the clips) and then to have terrible visual access and limited access for a screwdriver with the brake off!