Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Coolant leak at side of the road

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Dr. Zed

Post by Dr. Zed » Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:46 pm

Chris_D wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:18 am Here's a tip I heard from more than one BMW mechanic - never fill your coolant tank to full!
Just keep it at the lowest indicated level possible, especially in summer.
You'll thank me later.
:thumbsup:
Well I assume without anything resembling an overflow tank, any coolant passed max is just going to result in over expansion of the tank. But the level was definitely not more than the max at cold, that's for sure
Maldives Blue 2.5i E85

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:09 am

Dr. Zed wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:46 pm
Chris_D wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:18 am Here's a tip I heard from more than one BMW mechanic - never fill your coolant tank to full!
Just keep it at the lowest indicated level possible, especially in summer.
You'll thank me later.
:thumbsup:
Well I assume without anything resembling an overflow tank, any coolant passed max is just going to result in over expansion of the tank. But the level was definitely not more than the max at cold, that's for sure
No I think the point is that the expansion tank is too small to compensate for expansion when running hot if the reservoir is kept topped up to max. Hence if you keep it at the lowest indicated level there is more room in the system for expansion.
There is a relief valve / vent for over-expansion but it’s obviously not effective enough to prevent the expansion tank from splitting when hot.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.