Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4 Inner Tie Rod replacement

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
portculisz4

Post by portculisz4 » Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:14 pm

About to check and possibly replace both Inner Tie Rods but have a question on removing and replacing the tie rod to the rack. Videos I have seen show people undoing the tie rod without securing the rack while undoing the large tie rod nut, this would appear to put an unreasonable twisting strain against the rack and the geared steering shaft. My question is - is there any sensible way to secure the rack from twisting whilst undoing the large tie rod nut ??

plenty

Post by plenty » Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:17 pm

Not that I'm aware of unfortunately. But you can mitigate potential damage by turning the wheel so that the inner tie rod is as close to the rack as possible when removing - don't try to remove it with the rack extended.

Also a bit of heat and penetrating fluid should eliminate the need for hammer blows or huge torque.

grannyknot

Post by grannyknot » Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:35 am

portculisz4 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:14 pm About to check and possibly replace both Inner Tie Rods but have a question on removing and replacing the tie rod to the rack. Videos I have seen show people undoing the tie rod without securing the rack while undoing the large tie rod nut, this would appear to put an unreasonable twisting strain against the rack and the geared steering shaft. My question is - is there any sensible way to secure the rack from twisting whilst undoing the large tie rod nut ??
Just did this job today, the only way I could isolate the rack from the gear is mount the rack with the flat section against soft jaws in a vice. wacks with a hammer is certainly better than a long breaker bar twisting the rack.
IMG_0888.JPG
IMG_0888.JPG (185.69 KiB) Viewed 251 times
IMG_0889.JPG
IMG_0889.JPG (153.84 KiB) Viewed 251 times
2008 E86 M coupe
Toronto, Ontario

smorris_12

Post by smorris_12 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:43 am

I've changed several sets of inner tie-rods on BMWs (E39, E46, E90) and give a gentle, if determined, heave on them with a monkey wrench with the least extension of the rack possible. Never given any problems later on. Ideally I'd want to grip the rack piston but I would be far more afraid of scoring it and damaging seals if trying to do it in situ.
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot