Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Crunch time.. Corvette or Cayman.. help me decide

Discussion of other cars non-Z4

Corvette or Cayman

Corvette
23%
Cayman
77%

Total votes: 48

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:00 pm

PointedMarlin wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:27 pm I voted Cayman on the basis of I think I’d get bored with the Corvette & find it a pain as a daily driver

I also from what you’ve written think the spec of the Cayman is better than the Corvette (?)

But I suspect the Corvette might be more of a head turner than the Cayman

However just for consideration … if your looking at this as a short term purchase then I’d go Corvette as once you’ve scratched the itch there are way more opportunities to own a Cayman
Its definitely a weekend toy and not a daily, I get your point though and I'm kind of coming round to the opposite idea.. scratch the Porsche itch and move on to the Corvette once that's done.. it wont lose much value and should be easy to move on 8)
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:15 pm

buzyg wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:34 pm Corvette from those two every time. :thumbsup:

Every man and his dog has a TT, Boxster, Z4 or Cayman parked on the drive. The Corvette is probably not as good a car all round. In a similar vain, an VW Passat is probably a better car all round than a Cayman or a Z4. But You don't buy one for fun.

Go for it, you can always be boring next time. 8) :driving: :thumbsup:
Thanks buzy.. however the affluent gentry of the south may all have these lovely motors kicking about but they're pretty rare up here tbh.. never see many porkers knocking about, the odd zed, tt is a bit more common.. lots of bmw rep mobiles, 4wd's SUVs and the like tho.. totally get what you're saying though and that what appeals to me.. always been a fan of American muscle from early mustangs, dodge chargers, old school Lincolns.. love anything thats a bit ott :D but i have the Porsche itch too, as a kid I always loved the 911s and this will probably be the closest I get to one.. thanks for the input buddy :thumbsup:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:22 pm

mr.tourette wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:00 pm Its definitely a weekend toy and not a daily, I get your point though and I'm kind of coming round to the opposite idea.. scratch the Porsche itch and move on to the Corvette once that's done.. it wont lose much value and should be easy to move on
That sounds like a good plan. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:17 pm

Sorry Steve, that corvette is feckin awful looking, it’s got chrome wheels FFS :sick2: and the colours not the best imo, particularly at resale time :o

Like others, I think if you might get stuck with that if you don’t like it. Looking at this straightforward and logically, if you did buy it, didn’t like it take the amount of people who voted FOR it as your % potential customer base for trying to move it on, not great in the grand scheme of things.

You’ve been open about your dislike of the earlier Boxster so fine, but for me your fun car has to be roof down and RHD so if not a Boxster I’d be considering other roadsters, all imho :thumbsup:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

mr.tourette
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:34 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:17 pm Sorry Steve, that corvette is feckin awful looking, it’s got chrome wheels FFS :sick2: and the colours not the best imo, particularly at resale time :o

Like others, I think if you might get stuck with that if you don’t like it. Looking at this straightforward and logically, if you did buy it, didn’t like it take the amount of people who voted FOR it as your % potential customer base for trying to move it on, not great in the grand scheme of things.

You’ve been open about your dislike of the earlier Boxster so fine, but for me your fun car has to be roof down and RHD so if not a Boxster I’d be considering other roadsters, all imho :thumbsup:
    What have you been told about sitting on the fence lad :? You dont think I'd be rolling on chrome do you Andy :D Straight off for a refurb IF I bought the car,, I think you're just worried its faster than your g29 :rofl:

Your comments are noted and appreciated my friend.. remember beauty is the eye of the beholder.. your missus told me that :wink: :D

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:46 pm

mr.tourette wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:34 pm
    Argyll Andy wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:17 pm Sorry Steve, that corvette is feckin awful looking, it’s got chrome wheels FFS :sick2: and the colours not the best imo, particularly at resale time :o

What have you been told about sitting on the fence lad :? You dont think I'd be rolling on chrome do you Andy :D Straight off for a refurb IF I bought the car,, I think you're just worried its faster than your g29 :rofl:

Your comments are noted and appreciated my friend.. remember beauty is the eye of the beholder.. your missus told me that :wink: :D
    I know, I know :oops: no, I don’t think you would, but the fact they’re on the car tells you what type of punter buys one :wink:

It may well be faster than my G29 but since you can’t see f**k all to overtake progress may not be so quick :rofl: , that and the required 3:1 petrol station stops I’ll be long gone bud :poke:

Oh I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all I can say is is thank feck for that, or I’d be single :tumbleweed: you could put a set of chrome wheels on me and that’d be an improvement :rofl: on a car, never :D

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
      G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
      E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
      E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

mr wilks
      Legend
      Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:41 am

Can't believe you are even having the debate Mr t :P the 2 cars couldn't be further apart & your point about resale on the US munter should give you your answer .
      That said from past experience Porsche cars come with varying levels of paranoia , generally kicks in after the novelty has faded & it was this niggle that prompted me to sell the 3 x 911,s i owned ( 964 996 + 997 ) none ever failed me but the wariness of potential big bills was always there :wink: the ownership buzz of rear / mid engine boxer flat 6 engines is memorable though & i know if i hadn't tried them it would have always had me wondering .
      Look forward to seeing what you buy :thumbsup:
      3 ZMRs
      3 E89s
      5 Si coupes
      5 Si roadsters
      997 C4
      TTRS
      F82 M4
      MK7 Golf Gti
      current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

mr.tourette
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:14 am

mr wilks wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:41 am Can't believe you are even having the debate Mr t :P the 2 cars couldn't be further apart & your point about resale on the US munter should give you your answer .
      That said from past experience Porsche cars come with varying levels of paranoia , generally kicks in after the novelty has faded & it was this niggle that prompted me to sell the 3 x 911,s i owned ( 964 996 + 997 ) none ever failed me but the wariness of potential big bills was always there :wink: the ownership buzz of rear / mid engine boxer flat 6 engines is memorable though & i know if i hadn't tried them it would have always had me wondering .
      Look forward to seeing what you buy :thumbsup:
      Thank you Andy.. this is the conundrum that is me.. same with my bikes, happy on a razor shap gsxr or an old bobber, I tend to have an affinity with very different types of vehicles and can appreciate their individual qualities, I think you are correct in the resale is the big minus point.. munter though.. very harsh :lol:

GasheadIan

Post by GasheadIan » Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:31 am

Yes very pleased
      It’s only done 33k miles
      Feels solid handles superbly (biggest difference to z4)
      As Mr Wilks said you do worry about a big bill, but I have tried to reduce that risk by staying away from the Models with the known big common issues
      As 2.9 mpg wise late twenties steady run easy into early 30,s
      As i am mid 50’s insurance £150 for 5k miles
      But like Mr Wilks it is a short termer, but to not experince the mid engined flat 6 would be missing out on real gen
      Bristol ,England - E85 3.0 SE stubby aerial

Pondrew
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:25 am

If I have read your posts correctly, you sold your E89 with the intention of getting a 'vette.
      So get the 'vette.
      If it's a weekend car running costs, parts, etc don't really matter. Why would you buy a 'fun' car that does 4mpg more than another 'fun' car if it's not the one you really want?
      If you get the Porker because it's the more sensible option (still not exactly sensible), once the honeymoon period has waned, you may still want a 'vette.
      The Cayman is a compromise of your wishlist....you said you want a V8, convertible, something different, muscle car. The Porsche is none of these, the 'vette is all of them.

I voted Cayman but I ain't buying either of them so our preferences don't matter.

Just get something soon and make sure you show us pictures. :thumbsup:
      All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
      E89 20i Now fully dried
      Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
      Mazda3 sold
      Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Ole gits rule
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:20 am

Steve,

The Vette is not my cup of tea (Porsche either) - a series one maybe but the new ones not so much but if you want one just go and buy it but be prepared to have it stuck around if / when you decide to sell it.

The car is a weekend toy so just buy what you have always wanted and enjoy it
      M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
      2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

mr.tourette
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:30 pm

Pondrew wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:25 am If I have read your posts correctly, you sold your E89 with the intention of getting a 'vette.
      So get the 'vette.
      If it's a weekend car running costs, parts, etc don't really matter. Why would you buy a 'fun' car that does 4mpg more than another 'fun' car if it's not the one you really want?
      If you get the Porker because it's the more sensible option (still not exactly sensible), once the honeymoon period has waned, you may still want a 'vette.
      The Cayman is a compromise of your wishlist....you said you want a V8, convertible, something different, muscle car. The Porsche is none of these, the 'vette is all of them.

I voted Cayman but I ain't buying either of them so our preferences don't matter.

Just get something soon and make sure you show us pictures. :thumbsup:
      You're absolutely right mate I did sell the zed with intention of jumping straight in a vette..however as I'm sure you are well aware :poke: we don't always end up in what we first think..this will be the biggest amount of money I've ever dropped on a motor and whilst it may be small change to some to me its a big decision I want to get right and however much I want to follow my heart my head won't allow. That Corvette is the only c6 that I've seen drop into my budget and maybe there's a reason for that as nobody wants to buy it? Lots of c5 kicking about the country with a targa roof (which I'd probably prefer) but they are known to throw up more electrical gremlins.

There's still other itches I want to scratch in the motoring world, Porsche being one and tbh after test driving one I was smitten so that did throw a spanner in the works

I'm appreciating this debate though as it is helping me form some conclusions about where I want to be :thumbsup:

Hilly30si

Post by Hilly30si » Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:15 pm

If you want a drivers car the Cayman if you want the noise pick the Corvette :thumbsup: or do what I did and pick a pice of nostalgia. :D :P :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
      E0C05D31-13C2-4B70-A3EE-96DAFD02A55D.jpeg
      E0C05D31-13C2-4B70-A3EE-96DAFD02A55D.jpeg (266.79 KiB) Viewed 521 times

In all seriousness when I sold the Z my toy was going to be a 997.2 but as Mr Wilks said it’s always in the back of your mind a big bill is coming, and as I was retiring the in house company accountant would never stood for the running costs, with that in mind I went completely the other way as the pic above. Never regretted one minute of ownership of my TR6. Not saying for a second Classic is for you :thumbsup:
      Last edited by Hilly30si on Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
      My Cars

2021 X3 M Sport loaded with Tec
      1974 Triumph TR6 in Mimosa Yellow
      Gone but not forgotten
      2008 Z4 3.0 SI Roadster

Nanu
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by Nanu » Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:06 pm

Yep, always lusted after one of these in British Racing Green. Possibly a Triumph Stag as an option :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
      G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
      E89 35is Valencia Orange
      E89 28i Crimson
      E89 25i White

MikeyH
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:15 pm

Yes TR6, been one of my dream cars since I first noticed sports cars aged around 8 I think. Although that was a frogeye sprite. :thumbsup: There’s TR6 for sale near me for over £24,000 and it ain’t that pristine.
      Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
      Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.