Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Dog rough misfiring across the board

na51hog

Post by na51hog » Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:39 pm

Hi,

TLDR - sudden onset very rough misfiring across all cylinders - where to look?

My Z4 E89 35is (2011 - approx 80k) developed a misfire the day before yesterday on cylinder one (P301 misfire detected). It cleared after about half a mile and the car ran fine on the round trip. Then in the evening on a short trip out, one and two misfired - luckily it started very soon after I left the drive and I returned home in trails of glory... well actually, unburnt fuel.

So, (rashly as it turned out) to Euro Car Parts this morning at 8am for 2 spark plugs and 2 coil packs. I popped them in and... Z4 said no.

Ok, so now I am over the knee-jerk reaction, and am light a few quid to no avail, time to stop and think...

After the failed test on the drive, post spark plug and coil replacements, I noticed that errors on one and two had been joined by errors on three and six and the general code P300 Powertrain Random/Multiple misfires detected.

I am fairly confident that all the injectors didn't go bad simultaneously.

Running a Protool scan didn't pick up any additional errors over and above the misfires detected - nothing on the fuel pump and I can't see a value for oxygen sensors so I am not sure if they are reported via the ECU?

Do forum members have any suggestions about the cause of the misfiring? - what logical trail should I follow to bottom it out and will it lead inexorably to the Stealership?

Many thanks

Neil
When the fun stops, you know what to do...

Reamesy

Post by Reamesy » Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:47 pm

If you can gain access to a laptop with ISTA D it will give you the fault codes and suggest a work plan to go through. This way you are trouble shooting not guessing which will be expensive.
Currently; 2011 E89 23i SDrive M Sport Highline Titan Silver
Previously;
2014 SLK250CDI AMG Sport
2012 E89 SDrive 2.0 M Sport. White
2011 Audi TT Quattro
2006 Z4 2.5 Sport
2013 420D coupe
2002 Z3 2.2 Sport
1996 Z3 1.9

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:20 pm

Given it seems multiple cylinders it’s either common electrical like cam sensor or possibly high pressure fuel pump..there are no direct diagnostics for the HPFP as it’s entirety mechanical…the HPFP rail pressure is the give away..

LPFP has limited diagnostics but no errors , doesn’t fail very often, if it does it’s the EKP usually..

HPFP failures quite common…

Otherwise you are into failing DME but decent code reader should see that

Protool would spot most major issues..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

na51hog

Post by na51hog » Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:24 pm

Reamesy wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:47 pm If you can gain access to a laptop with ISTA D it will give you the fault codes and suggest a work plan to go through. This way you are trouble shooting not guessing which will be expensive.
Thanks - I will look to download and install :)

na51hog

Post by na51hog » Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:30 pm

B21 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:20 pm Given it seems multiple cylinders it’s either common electrical like cam sensor or possibly high pressure fuel pump..there are no direct diagnostics for the HPFP as it’s entirety mechanical…the HPFP rail pressure is the give away..

LPFP has limited diagnostics but no errors , doesn’t fail very often, if it does it’s the EKP usually..

Thanks for this. I take it you put a gauge on the fuel line at some junction and read off the HPFP pressure?

EKP?

Protool found nothing (apart from misfire) so hopefully, the DME is OK...

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:03 pm

na51hog wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:30 pm
B21 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:20 pm Given it seems multiple cylinders it’s either common electrical like cam sensor or possibly high pressure fuel pump..there are no direct diagnostics for the HPFP as it’s entirety mechanical…the HPFP rail pressure is the give away..

Thanks for this. I take it you put a gauge on the fuel line at some junction and read off the HPFP pressure?

EKP?

Protool found nothing (apart from misfire) so hopefully, the DME is OK...
Protool can pick up the HPFP line pressure..there’s a pressure sensor in line ..

EKP…low pressure fuel pump controller..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup: