Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Drivers door/roof seal

PointedMarlin

Drivers door/roof seal

Post by PointedMarlin » Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:02 am

A question

I noticed after I washed my car the other day that when I got in to it the following day there was an intermittent drip from what can best be described as where the door & roof seals meet at the windshield end of the car, it must be in the little gully that’s created where the roof moves if that makes sense ??

Is this an easy enough fix because my first thoughts are - at least the water isn’t cascading in, but on the other hand it shouldn’t be getting in so need’s addressing

However if it’s not doing any internal damage (it’s not enough ingress to say soak a carpet or damage the seat)

is it the sort of thing I can live with until it needs a total replacement as a patch up job would be a waste of time anyway & how would this best be approached?

Any ideas - BMW garage or would an indie be fine

Annoyingly it was on the way to the garage for the annual service & MoT that I noticed it

DevonPaul

Drivers door/roof seal

Post by DevonPaul » Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:09 am

Does the door drop 5mm on your model and then raise again when the door is closed?

And if so, is it still going back up again?

I've seen it on other makes, the solution was to wind the window fully up and down a few times so it relearnt when up and down were.

Paul
2006 Imola Z4MC (wife's shopping trolley)
1990 Toyota Carina (Started as a free family heirloom, now apparently a Classic)
2016 Toyota Avensis 1.6D (yup, the *really* slow one).
2011 TDM900
1997 VFR750 project. 95% complete. Only 30% left to do.

PointedMarlin

Drivers door/roof seal

Post by PointedMarlin » Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:17 am

I’ve just checked & conveniently it’s light rain

What I think is happening is the rain is soaking in to the rubber seal & when the window goes back up it effectively squeezes the rubber & forces water out

Or at least that’s what’s happening outside .. obviously I put my wet hand on the seat whilst I checked which meant I had no way of knowing if water had got inside the car :roll:

I’ll check again later

But the door doesn’t appear to drop so that isn’t the likely cause