Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Service History Red Flags - Opinion

"M" Specific discussion
Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scubaregs » Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:39 am

Tyre manufacturers recommend a tyre life of 6/7 years. Tyres harden with age, they may look fine tread wise, but they will not grip anywhere near as well.
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image

Simon 3.2M

Post by Simon 3.2M » Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:30 pm

All depends on price of the car really - I actually buy my cars in feel and less on history. We all know it’s only a piece of paper, as mentioned it could have been thrashed and it may not have actually had the servicings done and the book stamped by an unscrupulous garage. I don’t subscribe to the vanos / bearing paranoia either - if you thrash your cars or track them then yes, do the bearings, for everyday driving I wouldn’t panic too much initially other than doing an obligatory oil change. The key, like with all engines, is letting them get to full operating temperature before playing. Again with the vanos, unless it bogs down massively then just be aware of it as it only really affects around 3k rpm. Yes it is noticeable, especially when you drive a car with the vanos refreshed, but it shouldn’t stop you enjoying the car and it feeling pretty quick.
Sepang Coupe
Imola Roadster - For sale
Interlagos Coupe - For sale

Previous:
Stratus Grey Coupe
Titan Silver 3.0 Roadster
Carbon Black Coupe
Silver Grey MR
Silver Grey 3.0si Roadster
Maldives Blue 2.5
Sterling Silver 3.0 - twice

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:58 pm

Scubaregs wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:39 am Tyre manufacturers recommend a tyre life of 6/7 years. Tyres harden with age, they may look fine tread wise, but they will not grip anywhere near as well.
I agree, but was surprised the Porsche dealer passed my 8 year old fronts as absolutely fine. For the warranty, the tyre sealant has to be no more than 4 years old but the tyres can be way more. Does help that my tyres never see sunlight of course when not being driven.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:07 pm

Are they Vamptires :rofl: :rofl: :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:32 pm

MikeyH wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:07 pm Are they Vamptires :rofl: :rofl: :thumbsup:
Wrong thread :poke: :D
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scubaregs » Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:45 pm

pvr wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:58 pm
Scubaregs wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:39 am Tyre manufacturers recommend a tyre life of 6/7 years. Tyres harden with age, they may look fine tread wise, but they will not grip anywhere near as well.
I agree, but was surprised the Porsche dealer passed my 8 year old fronts as absolutely fine. For the warranty, the tyre sealant has to be no more than 4 years old but the tyres can be way more. Does help that my tyres never see sunlight of course when not being driven.
Shouldn’t have, pretty sure it's 7 years for Porsche iirc.
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image

where.is.lee

Post by where.is.lee » Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:56 pm

thanks all! Great info all round. I've decided to pass on this vehicle, so the hunt continues! Hopefully the hunt ends sooner rather than later.

Current:
05 Clio 182 Trophy
Gone:
02 IBP Integra Type R - Lightly Modified
06 BSM 130i - OEM+
06 PW Cooper S - OEM+
07 BSM 335i - Lightly Modified
99 Altezza RS200 Z Edition - Extensively Modified
02 WRX STI

AndyBeech

Post by AndyBeech » Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:25 pm

That's a shame, hope it wasn't based too much on all the advice given, I would take some of it with a pinch of salt personally. Honestly if I was selling mine and someone started wanting money off for VANOS / bearings / head gasket etc etc. I'd send them packing pretty quickly as a liability and annoyance to sell to.

You can't expect someone to cover every eventuality with these cars, you could haggle them down to literally nothing if that was the case. I would say as long as it's priced reasonably, don't get too hung up on bearings / VANOS etc. If it feels right and the condition checks out then go for it, worry about the other stuff as costs of ownership and if it's had some of that stuff done it's a bonus.

The one you posted didn't seem too bad at all from the description personally, not like it's never had a service or has massively deviated from the schedule

Anyway, good luck!
Z4MR - Gruppe M, Bilstein PSS10, CSL's + 18" CSL reps with semi's, RTAB Limiters, Powerflex’d, PF Camber Arms, K-Sport BBK / RSL-29, GC Camber Plates, Strut Brace, Exhaust valves, custom brake cooling, complete underside refresh!

where.is.lee

Post by where.is.lee » Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:35 pm

Not at all, it was more of a gut decision, which is a shame as it's lovely in person. I spoke with the garage that looked after it and they said the car should have a more regular oil change but for whatever reason some owners just don't. The car is asking strong money and quite frankly needs more spent to get it to where I would be comfortable with it.

Current:
05 Clio 182 Trophy
Gone:
02 IBP Integra Type R - Lightly Modified
06 BSM 130i - OEM+
06 PW Cooper S - OEM+
07 BSM 335i - Lightly Modified
99 Altezza RS200 Z Edition - Extensively Modified
02 WRX STI