Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Very faint gearbox rattle

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Laysula

Post by Laysula » Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:23 pm

I've just been to look at a 04 2.5 model with a view to purchase and it has a very faint rattle seeming to come from the gearbox. This disappears when put into gear and the clutch raised to biting point. Could anyone tell me if this is particularly serious or whether it is just one of those things that go with the age of the car? I'ts a five speed box and the car has done 83,000 miles.
Thanks in advance
Steve

colb

Post by colb » Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:51 pm

Could be the clutch thrust bearing from what you describe, is the rattle there when the clutch is fully up or only there when you have pressure on the pedal and the thrust bearing is in contact with the clutch pressure plate?
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

Laysula

Post by Laysula » Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:14 pm

It's still there with the clutch fully up in neutral. I couldn't tell if it was there if the car was on the move it's very faint.

colb

Post by colb » Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:26 pm

Is the noise there when you apply a bit of pressure to the pedal and the thrust bearing contacts the pressure plate, thinking the thrust bearing might be chattering when its disengaged, if it is that then gerarbox would need to be dropped out and the bearing replaced. Depending on your mileage it would be prudent to replace the clutch and pressure plate. If its a model with a duel mass flywheel that may be a source of the noise, don't know a lot about these, no doubt someone else with knowledge of that will be along.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

Laysula

Post by Laysula » Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:41 pm

No. It doesn't stop when the clutch is depressed only when it's raised in gear and reaches the biting point.

Laysula

Post by Laysula » Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:16 pm

Quick update. I couldn't get to the bottom of the rattle so I bought a different one.