Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Atrial Fibrillation

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
IRD

Atrial Fibullation

Post by IRD » Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:07 pm

I have an Apple Watch which alerted me to the fact I was suffering AF. As Ron says you can take an ECG using the watch. I then contacted my GP and sent him copies of ECGs recorded on the watch. He arranged further tests and prescribed appropriate medication.

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Atrial Fibullation

Post by john-e89 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:20 pm

I'd be interested to know your symptoms chaps.
I had regular bouts every 2 weeks, usually on a Tuesday, they lasted from 12-24hrs, pins and needles up both arms, waves of nausea and sickness, few fainting episodes, was horrible, really nasty feeling and debilitating.
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

pvr
Legend
Legend

Atrial Fibullation

Post by pvr » Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:21 pm

IRD wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:07 pm I have an Apple Watch which alerted me to the fact I was suffering AF. As Ron says you can take an ECG using the watch. I then contacted my GP and sent him copies of ECGs recorded on the watch. He arranged further tests and prescribed appropriate medication.
That is an amazing capture of it though, very useful that a watch can do that.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Atrial Fibullation

Post by ronk » Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:51 pm

My symptoms were a very high Pulse 150+/ min sometimes from sleep- enough to wake

Other random times, same Symptoms and feeling like the heart stopped for a few seconds while I t returned to sinus rhythm

Then passing a lot of water

I tried to log food intake and activity etc but never found a pattern.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

IRD

Atrial Fibullation

Post by IRD » Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:58 pm

In my case, I had a cardiac arrest six years ago but made a good recovery. Then about 18 months ago I set about changing the wheels on my Z4 for a set I had bought from another member. It proved to be a lot harder than I had imagined because the wheels had stuck to the hubs and required a fair bit of effort to remove them. Eventually I got the new wheels on. During that night I felt unwell but by the following morning I was OK. But as soon as I put on my Apple Watch after breakfast it warned that I was showing symptoms of AF and advised me to consult a doctor without delay. Which of I duly did. So I’m opinion it really is a useful bit of kit. It can also alert the emergency services if you have a fall. My wife has a cheap fitness watch which alerted her to high blood pressure. For which she now takes medication. Technology can be a great help.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Atrial Fibullation

Post by ronk » Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:05 pm

My Apple Watch got me a ride in an ambulance ar Christmas time last year with low sp02

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Atrial Fibullation

Post by Nanu » Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:38 pm

Never ceases to amaze me the level of expertise and genuine help you can get from this forum.

Stay fit and healthy guys :thumbsup:
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Atrial Fibullation

Post by ronk » Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:43 pm

You’re not alone with that opinion.
Not only information but also practical help 👍🏻
Last edited by ronk on Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IRD

Atrial Fibullation

Post by IRD » Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:57 pm

john-e89 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:20 pm I'd be interested to know your symptoms chaps.
I had regular bouts every 2 weeks, usually on a Tuesday, they lasted from 12-24hrs, pins and needles up both arms, waves of nausea and sickness, few fainting episodes, was horrible, really nasty feeling and debilitating.
I have been really lucky John. I have had very few symptoms, apart from that first night when I felt sick and dizzy. But for the Apple Watch I would not have known I was suffering from AF. Subsequent tests all confirmed the diagnosis and the need for medication. I do sometimes struggle with energy levels and extreme weather (either hot or cold) affects me adversely. But how much of that is due to the damage to my heart caused when I arrested 8 times and how much to AF is difficult to determine. To tell the truth John I am just pleased to be here and enjoying a decent quality of life. The Consultant told my wife when I was in the induced coma that only 1 in 10 survived and very few made a decent recovery. So I count my blessings and look at things very differently these days.
:thumbsup:

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Atrial Fibullation

Post by ronk » Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:03 pm

Enjoy every day!

There are a few of us who’ve had warning shots across the bows it seems.

This is not the dress rehearsal!

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Atrial Fibullation

Post by john-e89 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:48 pm

IRD wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:57 pm
john-e89 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:20 pm I'd be interested to know your symptoms chaps.
I have been really lucky John. I have had very few symptoms, apart from that first night when I felt sick and dizzy. But for the Apple Watch I would not have known I was suffering from AF. Subsequent tests all confirmed the diagnosis and the need for medication. I do sometimes struggle with energy levels and extreme weather (either hot or cold) affects me adversely. But how much of that is due to the damage to my heart caused when I arrested 8 times and how much to AF is difficult to determine. To tell the truth John I am just pleased to be here and enjoying a decent quality of life. The Consultant told my wife when I was in the induced coma that only 1 in 10 survived and very few made a decent recovery. So I count my blessings and look at things very differently these days.
:thumbsup:
Agreed entirely Ian, either mild to wild symptoms we all know the feeling of it don't we. Fortunately I've not really had any more issues since the ablation, only mild fluttering now and again in extreme heat as you say. I'm not cycling to work at the moment for this reason.

And as Ronk says, it really does change your life perspective, I really don't worry about things like I used to, I've removed things in life that made me worry, I'm afraid my attitude now is f**k it.... :lol:
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Atrial Fibullation

Post by dr_john » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:33 pm

Wow, I think I’m getting away lightly.

My initial problem started when I was in Spain staying at a friends villa back in May, I developed swollen feet and legs (Odema) and felt like crap, almost fainting at times. On return to UK I was admitted into hospital and stuffed with meds, my pulse came down from around 140 to less than 100 after a few days. Since then, I’m more or less OK but find that walking any distance brings on a tight chest and shortness of breath.

I bought a smart watch which tells me pulse rate, normally less than 100. I’ll investigate the other watches mentioned.

Thanks everyone.
Sapphire Black G29 2.0 MSport with Technology pack

Ian J

Atrial Fibullation

Post by Ian J » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:39 am

IRD wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:57 pm I do sometimes struggle with energy levels and extreme weather (either hot or cold) affects me adversely.
Me too so perhaps I ought to look at these Apple smart watches.

Flyingfifer

Atrial Fibullation

Post by Flyingfifer » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:48 am

Strange so many people are suddenly getting heart related health concerns, wonder what could be causing that...
2006 3.0Si Coupé in Monaco Blau with all the optional trimmings

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Atrial Fibullation

Post by john-e89 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:20 pm

Flyingfifer wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:48 am Strange so many people are suddenly getting heart related health concerns, wonder what could be causing that...
Thought you said you we're leaving....obvs no mates to talk to, unsurprisingly, so here you are poking again....

Mine started 15yrs ago. Ronks was long before the jab too. :wkr:

Stay off this thread you're less than welcome. If I have to get the mods to rid you I will, however I'm staying near Peebles this week so if you want to grow a pair and come down to discuss it please do. If not as I suspect stay off here.
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29