Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New bumper?

Discussing the current generation Z4
ori

New bumper?

Post by ori » Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:49 am

I swear if I didn’t have bad luck, I’d have no luck at all.

So this evening a lady reversed quite hard into my bumper.

She was very nice and admitted it (got it all on my dash cam anyway)

She wants to try and pay it privately, but I doubt she will when I get a quote.

The bumper is dented. Maybe repairable, but not sure I would want a repair. Maybe I should expect a new bumper?
Anyone know how much the part alone is?
9D5DFFBA-5BD1-4823-9AB9-5CFE5222D358.jpeg
9D5DFFBA-5BD1-4823-9AB9-5CFE5222D358.jpeg (90.91 KiB) Viewed 671 times
4C772C4D-64CE-46B5-896F-FA107B1D9CB7.jpeg
4C772C4D-64CE-46B5-896F-FA107B1D9CB7.jpeg (78 KiB) Viewed 671 times

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

New bumper?

Post by Argyll Andy » Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:00 am

FFS you :o

I’d imagine £500 min plus paint which I’d expect to be north of £300/£400 then labour for fitting. I’d say a grand anyway as long as nothing else is broken.

I had a similar situation in the 3 series, guy offered to pay until I gave him the estimate, his insurance became involved very quickly. New bumper, paint, labour and headlight £1475. Bumper was dented, guy wouldn’t repair, said the dent would most like pop in again at a later date.

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Silverstar

New bumper?

Post by Silverstar » Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:07 am

If the bumper is dented and on a new or newish car I would want a new bumper which I believe you would get if you go through the insurance in the UK. Sadly insurance companies here is Spain won't allow a new bumper even if the car is just a day old unless the bumper is true and properly past repair. I had very light bump on my rear bumper of my then new F20 and the insurance paid BMW to repair it which they did and it looked just like new but a year later someone else bumped into whilst parking very lightly again and it just cracked where they put the filler to repair it previously.
    2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

dr_john
    Lifer
    Lifer

New bumper?

Post by dr_john » Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:40 am

I had the slightest rear bumper incident in my 4 series with a young lady at traffic lights. Her family offered to pay privately but quickly changed when the quote from BMW came in at over £2k for fitting a new one.
    Sapphire Black G29 2.0 MSport with Technology pack

baljemmett

New bumper?

Post by baljemmett » Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:56 am

Oh man, at this rate you're going to find your picture on a 'customer of the year' sign at your dealership... Commiserations!

A quick search based on the part numbers in https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=51_A112 suggests you're looking at £550+ for the primed part, as Argyll Andy suggests, so not going to be particularly cheap once it's painted and bolted on.

Russ Z4

New bumper?

Post by Russ Z4 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:14 am

Oh man. What rotten news :-(

Get done what makes your car A1.

ori

New bumper?

Post by ori » Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:19 am

Thanks guys. Think also a bit of the black trim needs replacing, but I’ll check now it’s day light!

I’ll go through the motions of getting her a quote, but I reckon insurance will end up getting involved.

ori

New bumper?

Post by ori » Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:25 am

Thanks guys. Think also a bit of the black trim needs replacing, but I’ll check now it’s day light!

I’ll go through the motions of getting her a quote, but I reckon insurance will end up getting involved.
    If the part is £550 before spraying then I reckon 2k as they will need to paint half the bonnet to blend it. Labour costs in london aren’t cheap!

pvr
    Legend
    Legend

New bumper?

Post by pvr » Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:57 am

And then the insurance hike :x our Jeep was touched in a car park but didn’t have any damage. The other party had a scuff and put it through the insurance, hence us getting notified and the increase on renewal was just shy of £1k more as my wife is insured on all the cars. Had to remove her from the Porsche and M to get the renewal down.
    Current:
    911-50 Black - unique spec
    X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
    Abarth 595 Comp.
    Golf Clipper - collectors item
    Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
    VW ID.3

Previous:
    Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
    Z4 3.0 Toledo

ori

New bumper?

Post by ori » Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:20 am

I won’t be taking a like for like car so will keep the costs down for her.
    I never understood the point of no claims protection if your insurance still goes up after a claim. It’s a con.

pvr
    Legend
    Legend

New bumper?

Post by pvr » Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:23 am

I know, and we have protected no claims as well so it is purely the main premium going up. And we didn’t even claim on ours.

Very much a con, good luck with your claim
    Current:
    911-50 Black - unique spec
    X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
    Abarth 595 Comp.
    Golf Clipper - collectors item
    Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
    VW ID.3

Previous:
    Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
    Z4 3.0 Toledo

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

New bumper?

Post by Argyll Andy » Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:24 am

ori wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:19 am Thanks guys. Think also a bit of the black trim needs replacing, but I’ll check now it’s day light!

ori, when this happened to mine, the other insurance company (LV) asked if they could deal with me directly and that I didn’t go through my own insurance as their had admitted total liability when he reported it. They said it saved them something like 25% not dealing with my insurance company.

I called my insurance company (Aviva), notified them and said what the other company had requested. and they said fine, they’d record it as an incident that the other party we’re dealing with completely but if I had any issues to contact them and they’d get involved. To the best of my knowledge it never made any difference to my insurance or renewal. Premium dropped £20 and just before Covid and no other charges.

Just for info incase they do go to the insurance :thumbsup:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
      G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
      E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
      E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Z4monster

New bumper?

Post by Z4monster » Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:35 pm

Sorry to see your pride and joy damaged.

My previous Z4 had a brick dropped down the rear bumper by a tradesman. I took it to BMW and it cost about £450 to repair and repaint the whole bumper . The brick was a rough cast and took a good gouge out of the plastic but they repaired it totally seamlessly and I couldn't see any imperfection at all.

Personally I think a new bumper is overkill unless the part is cracked through. If it's just scraped then get it repaired by BMW or another decent bodyshop and you'll never tell. Why make the cost higher than it needs to be?

MikeyH
      Lifer
      Lifer

New bumper?

Post by MikeyH » Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:04 pm

Ed China used to repair cracks in things for a pastime :thumbsup:
      Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
      Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

ori

New bumper?

Post by ori » Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:38 pm

I just wanted bmw to repair it. It’s going in next week. If they don’t want a new bumper then that’s fine by me.
      It does need new trim too. So will all be quite expensive.

Also, will need a loan car as I can’t be without a car.