Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Hoseless Washing

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
TheDan

Hoseless Washing

Post by TheDan » Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:59 pm

So with various hosepipe bans and drought warnings looming we will be unable to wash our pride and joys with a hose or pressure washer (unless you have somehow stored 50L+ in a water butt without any rain).

Unfortunately, my car is pretty filthy with dust and a bit of general tree grime. What is everyone's method of washing without a hosepipe or pressure washer as to not scratch the paint on the first pass?

Special Kay

Hoseless Washing

Post by Special Kay » Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:16 pm

Optimum no rinse wash gets great reviews from lots of detailers in the USA. I myself have put it on my to buy list, but haven't yet pulled the trigger, I managed to wash and quick detail wax my car last week, as I anticipated a the hosepipe ban would come in anytime within the next week or so. Watch the youtube video's I don't think you'll be disappointed :thumbsup:

plenty

Hoseless Washing

Post by plenty » Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:19 pm

ONS is a great product. Does exactly what it says on the tin. Sparkly clean with 1-2 gallons of water.

Rldee007

Hoseless Washing

Post by Rldee007 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:34 pm

Hi TheDan,

This is something I am interested in. I quickly washed it this morning to before no more hose/jet washer.

Deepseaskateboard

Hoseless Washing

Post by Deepseaskateboard » Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:41 pm

Get one of those pump sprayers, and give it a hose down after applying some dirt shifter, or citrus wash.

It should get most of it off. Then you can rinse over again with a watering can.

Edit:
Hose down is clearly the wrong terminology here…
Give it a good spraying!

pvr
Legend
Legend

Hoseless Washing

Post by pvr » Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:01 pm

But with the amount of contact on the paint, it must impact it. With my washing and especially drying routine (0 ppm water for the final rinse and car blower to get most of the water off), I have no swirls on the car. I do not believe that ONS won't swirl.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

pvr
Legend
Legend

Hoseless Washing

Post by pvr » Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:04 pm

It is too late for you now, but during the last drought I ordered a load of water collecting units and a pump. Over the years I have used it for the garden, but they are mostly full from the rain from a couple of weeks back. I also pump it through a filter if I use it on the car and thankfully I don't have neighbours who can see me use a hose as no doubt they will think it is from the tap.

Just to convnce the helicopters spies that no doubt will come in the sky soon again like they did last time.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Special Kay

Hoseless Washing

Post by Special Kay » Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:15 pm

pvr wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:01 pm But with the amount of contact on the paint, it must impact it. With my washing and especially drying routine (0 ppm water for the final rinse and car blower to get most of the water off), I have no swirls on the car. I do not believe that ONS won't swirl.
I'd have to agree, but I think this is a great solution for current times when water is scarce. For us that live in the UK, it's rare that we'd have to resort to waterless washing or similar products of this type, as we are so used to our personal washing routines using water freely from a hose or pressure washer. I just think this is what I'd use right now based on my youtube video findings, until something better comes along :thumbsup:

Phoenixboy

Hoseless Washing

Post by Phoenixboy » Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:49 pm

personally , as its unlikely to be a hosepipe ban for too long, i would pay a mobile valeter to come and do it, or go to a proper car wash business that uses the right stuff, they are around.
Businesses are allowed to use pressure washers i believe....
E89 s drive 30i manual/gone
space grey
Carbon interior trim
19" Veeman FS 25`s
cruise control
m sport seats
stubby
led halo bulbs
z4 forum sticker, for added power.
OEM wind deflector
Gone, E85 Ruby Black.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Hoseless Washing

Post by Chris_D » Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:28 pm

2 bucket wash, 2 bucket rinse, dry with a shammy, finish with a quick polish. Job done in 30 minutes.
Car cover between drives.
Decontiminate and polish out superfluous swirls with DA once in a while.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Griffo46

Hoseless Washing

Post by Griffo46 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:45 pm

Just be sensible with the water, instead of blasting dirt off with it, use your elbow grease followed by a little rinse.
My bro is a mobile valeter and has to be conservative with water usage everyday. After a shampoo wash and pre rinse, spray a wax ( Something like - Chemical Guys Blazin' Banana Spray Wax) over the car and then rinse. You'll be surprised how little water you need.
Really helps with the drying process too.
2007 3.0si Roadster Stratus Grey/ Red Leather
2016 520d F10 M Sport Space Grey

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Hoseless Washing

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:09 pm

Griffo46 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:45 pm After a shampoo wash and pre rinse, spray a wax............................over the car and then rinse. You'll be surprised how little water you need.
OK, maybe a dumb question but.................. can you do this with any spray wax, or does it have to be something specifically designed to work like that?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

grannyknot

Hoseless Washing

Post by grannyknot » Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:44 pm

pvr wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:01 pm But with the amount of contact on the paint, it must impact it. With my washing and especially drying routine (0 ppm water for the final rinse and car blower to get most of the water off), I have no swirls on the car. I do not believe that ONS won't swirl.
Gotta agree, dust and dirt on a car that needs a wash consists of many different kinds of contamination and sharp gritty sand particles are one of them. That is the whole point of the pre-rinse, to try and lubricate those particles and knock them off before any brushes or clothes get near the surface.
Just can't believe that spraying some product on and wiping it off with a cloth isn't going to leave some scratching, lots of products make big promises but deliver something else.
Do I have a solution to the problem, not at all, but I would stick with "do no harm" as the first step.
You could just let the car be dirty until the water restrictions are lifted.
2008 E86 M coupe
Toronto, Ontario

Griffo46

Hoseless Washing

Post by Griffo46 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:30 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:09 pm
Griffo46 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:45 pm After a shampoo wash and pre rinse, spray a wax............................over the car and then rinse. You'll be surprised how little water you need.
OK, maybe a dumb question but.................. can you do this with any spray wax, or does it have to be something specifically designed to work like that?
Any rinse aid wax will do, try Autoglym Aquawax too. My bro recommended this one. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Autoglym-Rapid ... C79&sr=8-3
Last edited by Griffo46 on Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2007 3.0si Roadster Stratus Grey/ Red Leather
2016 520d F10 M Sport Space Grey

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Hoseless Washing

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:32 pm

Griffo46 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:30 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:09 pm
Any rinse aid wax will do, try Autoglym Aquawax too. My bro recommended this one.
Ah yes, I have the Autoglym stuff, but that doesn't say to rinse again, but to spray onto the wet car then buff/dry with a cloth.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup: