Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Bad Sound from Driver’s Side Rear

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Z4JB

Post by Z4JB » Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:41 pm

Guys I’ve attached a link, any advice would be good. There’s a hissing sound when the engine is idling from the driver’s side rear, the idle is smooth and the engine sounds good, there’s no lights on the dash. This is noise number (1). You’ll hear this in the video.

However, when revved it sounds a bit like air or something rushing out. This is when I rev the car and take my foot off the throttle, as the revvs creep back down noise number (2) appears.

[youtube] https://youtube.com/shorts/TbgPME_IEy0?feature=share[/youtube]
2004 E85 3.0i Titanium Silver

Zulu4

Post by Zulu4 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:13 am

To me it sounds more like something vibrating at its harmonic frequency (but that may be just the quality of the audio).
Are all the exhaust hangers OK ?
2007 3.0si Auto Sport Roadster. Whippy.
Previous:
2003 3.0i SE Roadster. Whippy.

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:43 am

Agree I’m hearing metallic resonating?
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

Z4JB

Post by Z4JB » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:33 pm

Thanks gents, I am putting this down to the exhaust some way or another. There is however still a hissing sound that I can hear at the rear drivers side of the car at idle, I don't believe there are any holes in the exhaust, however given it is not standard (not put on by myself) the hissing sound may just be the sound of gasses being shoved through it. By default this exhaust is louder anyway it would seem. :driving:
2004 E85 3.0i Titanium Silver