Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Engine light stays on during ignition

tonyg

Post by tonyg » Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:00 pm

I have a new second-hand 2015 E89 Z4. Wow, it’s gorgeous 😄😀.

During ignition all the lights go off after a few secs except for P and the Engine light which both stay on continuously. As soon as I turn the engine on, the engine light goes off.

I’m sure (am I mistaken here?) that last week when I first bought it that the engine light went off with all of the other lights after a few secs leaving ignition on. (I’ve had the ignition on quite a lot trying to understand all the cars buttons and IDrive features!)

Would I be able to kindly ask others to please check whether on your E89 Z4’s whether when leaving your ignition on for a while whether your engine light stays on or goes off?

Thank you in advance, Tony

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:12 pm

Hi Tony,

Seems completely normal to me. With full ignition on but without starting the car, all lights go out after a few seconds except the red parking brake light and the amber engine light.

You will have enough real problems with an E89 without trying to find them! :poke: :D

Only joking, enjoy your new toy! :thumbsup:

Edit: Can't seem to see any pictures of your car on your posts. That simply will not do! :P
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:11 pm

Pondrew wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:12 pm Hi Tony,

Seems completely normal to me. With full ignition on but without starting the car, all lights go out after a few seconds except the red parking brake light and the amber engine light.

You will have enough real problems with an E89 without trying to find them! :poke: :D

Only joking, enjoy your new toy! :thumbsup:

Edit: Can't seem to see any pictures of your car on your posts. That simply will not do! :P
Yes normal…there are two states of live …auxiliary circuits on, then ignition circuits live with engine fail light on..

On start all lights should go off…save parking brake..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

tonyg

Post by tonyg » Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:40 pm

Hi Pondrew and B21

Appreciate the responses and so quickly too. You know what it's like, you get that lovely shinny new toy and you're terrified of touching it let alone seeing the dreaded engine light! I'm still sure that sometimes that engine light stays on during ignition and sometimes it doesn't but that's probably just my car-hypochondria as I say!!! Actually I'm now getting worried that sometimes it DOESN'T stay on when my ignition is on - helppp!!!!!

Thanks for the reminder about a pic - it's that gorgeous mineral grey & coral red combo that I love, that was almost the main reason for me buying it :D

I have so many questions about my new toy that I will drip-feed into the forum. The next instalment is... yes I can get the idrive to connect to my iphone perfectly using Bluetooth if I'm ONLY using my phone (ie maybe using google maps and listening to music just off my phone and NOT using the car radio or car CD etc) but what I actually want to do is listen to the cars radio/CD/multimedia and for the car to allow the iphone to interrupt just when needed (eg when using google maps). But that's another instalment and I see others have posted here about this already!

Tony

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:36 pm

tonyg wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:40 pm Hi Pondrew and B21

I have so many questions about my new toy that I will drip-feed into the forum. The next instalment is... yes I can get the idrive to connect to my iphone perfectly using Bluetooth if I'm ONLY using my phone (ie maybe using google maps and listening to music just off my phone and NOT using the car radio or car CD etc) but what I actually want to do is listen to the cars radio/CD/multimedia and for the car to allow the iphone to interrupt just when needed (eg when using google maps). But that's another instalment and I see others have posted here about this already!

Tony
I can't help with this (technophobe here), but most things are possible I believe. AnubisZed (Dave) is your best bet.
Maybe worth remembering that the E89 technology is 13 years old, as they didn't update it during the production period (2009-2016).
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:10 pm

tonyg wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:40 pm Hi Pondrew and B21

Appreciate the responses and so quickly too. You know what it's like, you get that lovely shinny new toy and you're terrified of touching it let alone seeing the dreaded engine light! I'm still sure that sometimes that engine light stays on during ignition and sometimes it doesn't but that's probably just my car-hypochondria as I say!!! Actually I'm now getting worried that sometimes it DOESN'T stay on when my ignition is on - helppp!!!!!

Thanks for the reminder about a pic - it's that gorgeous mineral grey & coral red combo that I love, that was almost the main reason for me buying it :D

Tony
Selective interruption is not supported..the best you can do is use the phone as your media source and then it will of course allow other apps to butt in…
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup: